What brand of AR is the best for the $$$

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

CompVest
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What brand of AR is the best for the $$$

Post by CompVest »

I love my Colt AR in 9mm. runs great and very accurate. You do give up a little on distance but you get bigger holes and a lot lighter recoil.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

I'll have to agree with a few others, and throw in my vote for the S&W M&P. I bought a M&P15 O.R. for $699 with a $100 mail in rebate (for a total of $599) brand new at the gun show a few months back. It is my first AR, so I have no basis for comparison as far as personal experience goes, but I have had no problem wit hit. I've put a few thousand rounds down range without a single hiccup.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

The M&P bridges the gap between the great, (Colt, LMT, BCM, Nov, etc) and ok (RRA, Bushy, Stag, DPMS). It does so at an excellent price point and if the pMag deal is still going on, it's an even better value.

Not sure if I've seen better prices for it than on CDNN.

If it is really just for plinking, get a .22 cal AR. That is the best deal going.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

safety1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by safety1 »

DPMS
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

gig, you're killing me with listing Colt with Noveski, and LMT. ;-) I'd rather have a RRA over a Colt, but that is just opinion of course.

Smith and Wesson has a good thing going now though. They are less than what I can make an AR for at dealer cost on the parts. Maybe doesn't have the CDI factor (chicks dig it), but I have yet to see one that did not work.

I know I maybe haven't been around in too long to be poking fun, so no disrespect intended.
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

gigag04 wrote:The M&P bridges the gap between the great, (Colt, LMT, BCM, Nov, etc) and ok (RRA, Bushy, Stag, DPMS).
In what respect?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

pbwalker wrote:
gigag04 wrote:The M&P bridges the gap between the great, (Colt, LMT, BCM, Nov, etc) and ok (RRA, Bushy, Stag, DPMS).
In what respect?
The guys at M4C have "reasons" listed in that spReadsheet linked earlier in the post.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html

The M&P offers many of the same features found on the higher rifles for almost half the price (+/-).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
swc007

Post by swc007 »

im a left handed shooter so stag interested me at first with the LH rifles... but i hear nothing but good things about S&W so im probably gonna look for that... ANY BRANDS THAT I SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM? century and olympic are two i know of

hoping to find a good deal at the George R brown convention center jan.1-2 :hurry:

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

I recently purchaed the Rock River Arms Operator Elite. For what came on the rifle, and after 600 rounds through it, I am very happy with the quality and performance. I could of bought an entry level Colt and had to upgrade to a quad rail at additional cost, or pay less for a quad rail with extra upgrades for the same price as the Colt.

Performance is the same from my personal experiece.

That being said, the "operator" line is the more upgraded RRA line and not the entry level.
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bag the Mini 14 idea.

Have you considered building your own AR15? As anyone on this board who has built one can attest, it really isn't that hard. (Heck, if I can do it, anyone can do it. Believe me.) The parts are commonly available. You will save yourself a fair amount of money over buying same thing in the same configuration from almost any other manufacturer. AND, you'll have the considerable satisfaction of owning a rifle you built yourself.

I bought my first AR, a Bushmaster, and built my second one. I'll probably never buy another pre-assembled AR15 rifle again, unless it is one built by someone I know.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

S&W M&P is a great bargain and a quality weapon. I have one and its has been great. They are now offering them with rails installed or Magpul furniture is a color of choice all at reasonable prices.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

ok i'll admit it! i was one of those guys that bought an AR during the Obama scare! :grumble learn from my mistake and buy one now. I bought a bushmaster @ academy for a bargain price of..... $999.98 :banghead: now, i've seen them @ gun shows in the $700 to $800 range. There, I feel much better talking about it.
Here's a before and after:
'got to Texas ASAIC.

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

swc007 wrote:im a left handed shooter so stag interested me at first with the LH rifles... but i hear nothing but good things about S&W so im probably gonna look for that... ANY BRANDS THAT I SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM? century and olympic are two i know of

hoping to find a good deal at the George R brown convention center jan.1-2 :hurry:
My husband is left handed as well. He has a left handed Stag. He likes it a lot.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

stroo

Post by stroo »

Delton makes good rifles or if you want to build one, good kits. They are one of the less expensive brands but one of the better of the less expensive rifles. Having said that Delton's aren't a Colt or Daniel, etc. But then, they aren't as pricey either.

texjames
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texjames »

As The Annoyed man mentioned building your own AR15 is a lot of fun, can save money if you shop around and find the parts.
The upper part of the build is a little harder but the lower half is really simple.Also you can order a stripped bare lower, have it sent to a local
gun shop who will transfer it to you.All the other parts you can order and they will come directly to your home.Brownells has some excellant How To
videos that will guide you through the entire process.Even if you don't want to build the videos are very educational and will aid in the upkeep
and maintenance of your AR15.I have built 4 of my own now and its really great feeling of accomplishment.
Bravo Co has high quality complete uppers, so doe's PK Firearms, Spikes Tactical has really nice low cost stripped lowers.
Links to Videos...Just skip down to the lower build if you just want to put a already built upper on it.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1100 ... R-15_Video
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”