13%
Nope, do not bother
87%

Total votes: 39

RECIT
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Gun cleaning as business

Post by RECIT »

As a business you must have a license though, I lend pistols to my Dad all the time to test, play with, try out, but he does not charge for testing...A while back TAM posted a thread about his son doing a great clean up job on the trigger of a 1911 and he offered his son's services to other forum members, but was quickly informed to charge for modification and take possession of a handgun that is not his would require an FFL.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

I'd not pay a fee for someone else to do a simple field stripping and cleaning, cuz hey, I can do that...

I'd happily pay $20.00 to have my Glock cleaned - if it was detail stripped and cleaned or ultrasonically cleaned. (assuming ultrasonic cleaning does as good a job, if not better, than detail stripping and cleaning)

rm9792
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rm9792 »

Ultrasonic cleans way better than by hand. It gets into places you cant see. It will also break up small carbon deposits.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

rm9792 wrote:Ultrasonic cleans way better than by hand. It gets into places you cant see. It will also break up small carbon deposits.
Does that apply for the bore too? or do you need to clean the bore manually?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Broncrider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Broncrider »

AEA wrote:I can drop my gun off to my friend (if I had one), your Brother or whoever (as long as they are legally eligible to have a gun). If they clean it for me, then more the better. If they keep it for a year or overnight, no problem and no transfer required.

You are correct. But if that person was charging you for a service, then to be legal they would have to be licensed.
Broncrider
"I'm your huckleberry"---Doc Holiday, Tombstone

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Beiruty wrote:
rm9792 wrote:Ultrasonic cleans way better than by hand. It gets into places you cant see. It will also break up small carbon deposits.
Does that apply for the bore too? or do you need to clean the bore manually?
It wont get fouling out but does get loose stuff. Fouling is pretty difficult to get even when scrubbing by hand. The Ultrasonic is best for the frame and slide.

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

As lawsuit happy as our society is and there being no shortage of plaintiff attorney's looking for any angle to sue someone, I would be afraid of someone suing me or their stupidity. The courts are full of that already,

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

The only guy I know who gets someone else to clean his own guns does so because he is not confident at all in his mechanical ability to disassemble the gun and put it back together. I, personally, thought that a bit strange.

I think it may have gotten him in trouble once because he sold a gun that was detail stripped by his cleaner and his cleaner didn't put it back together quite right which made it unreliable. That is something any business of this sort will need to be very careful of.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Ugh, I HATE cleaning anything, guns included. I have had this AK for months and never fired it yet because I dread cleaning that awful cosmoline off. Ugh. Plus, I have to hunt for videos on youtube to see how to clean it because the owners' manual was written by some peasant in a third world country. It is totally illegible. You can tell that the owner's manual is not written by an American because it is politically incorrect, "To enjoy greater killing power, you should use high capacity magazines."

An American would've written instead, "To avoid the hassle of reloading frequently at the range, you may use high capacity magazines." :patriot:

Tell me when you start your business and I'll be your first customer. Just do like the ice cream trucks and park in front of the gun range in a van. Clean the guns from your van. You don't have to have a FFL if you clean them while the customer is there with you (IANAL, lawyers may call me out if I'm wrong). Set up some stools, a TV, and serve them sandwiches while they wait to have their guns cleaned. Good luck!

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jeeperbryan »

This idea could be lucrative if a gun country club was involved. Maybe a high class, private gun range. I used to work at a golf course and the rich guys would pay us $5 - $20 to wipe down their $1000 set of clubs pretty regularly. Around the holidays they'd sometimes tip $100 for 2 minutes of work. If gun country clubs were as common as golf country clubs then I could see it being worthwhile.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jeeperbryan wrote:This idea could be lucrative if a gun country club was involved. Maybe a high class, private gun range. I used to work at a golf course and the rich guys would pay us $5 - $20 to wipe down their $1000 set of clubs pretty regularly. Around the holidays they'd sometimes tip $100 for 2 minutes of work. If gun country clubs were as common as golf country clubs then I could see it being worthwhile.
:iagree: Unless associated with a high-end gun club, I don't see gun cleaning as a profitable business plan.
NRA Endowment Member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I hated cleaning my weapon in the Marines.

I hated cleaning my weapon in the Army.

There, I said it. I feel better now. I actually agree with DrJoker.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RECIT
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RECIT »

WildBill wrote:
jeeperbryan wrote:This idea could be lucrative if a gun country club was involved. Maybe a high class, private gun range. I used to work at a golf course and the rich guys would pay us $5 - $20 to wipe down their $1000 set of clubs pretty regularly. Around the holidays they'd sometimes tip $100 for 2 minutes of work. If gun country clubs were as common as golf country clubs then I could see it being worthwhile.
:iagree: Unless associated with a high-end gun club, I don't see gun cleaning as a profitable business plan.
:iagree:

But getting affiliation with a private or high end range would involve you for fitting some of the little profit you will make. No business will let you run your business on their grounds and not want a cut...
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I just thought of a brilliant idea. How about starting a gun cleaning school. Students would pay to have you teach them how to clean guns. You could get them to pay you to clean your guns. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

I may have OCD, but I would not let anyone clean my firearms. I would have to really really trust you to do that. Beside, it's something I can do myself, and I'm cheap. lol I think it's like trusting someone to work on your car. I like to do the work myself if I have the means.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”