Having trouble concealing without a bulge.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TXMATT101
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Having trouble concealing without a bulge.

Post by TXMATT101 »

Thanks everyone for your help . I got alot of ideas from yall

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

bnc wrote:I understand having a hard time finding holsters for the Jericho, I haven't found one yet for my CZ (similar guns) and only have a basic Uncle Mike's for it.

If you are alright with something a bit more old fashioned, the Cuda holster from Simply Rugged might work well. They don't specifically mention Jericho on their compatibility chart, but maybe the ones for CZ or EEA Witness of the same barrel length might work. For mordern Kydex, maybe Bladetech.

I was worried about people noticing the but of my LCR moving a bit as I walk (front carry), but really everyone is pretty clueless.
I'm not sure what CZ you mean. I carry a CZ 75 P06 in 40 caliber. I have a crossbreed that works fine, but I picked up a leather holster that is similar to the Milt Sparks holsters. If you can wait, Milt Sparks might be the way to go.

Skydivesnake

Post by Skydivesnake »

All advice is right on the money - you need a purpose-made belt that will pull that grip into your body, and a good IWB. Once you have those you're good to go - together with a few little behaviour mods, like crouching instead of bending, reaching for items with the hand the same side as your firearm is holstered (shirt will lift up a little - but away from firearm - not pulled tight across it), lightly pulling the hem of your shirt as you begin to rise from a chair so it slips over the grip rather than getting hung up, etc etc.

Most purpose-made belts and good IWBs will work - I am personally very happy with beltman ($90) and concealco ($60-$80), after trying various others over the years. A shiny side-out leather IWB worn next to the skin will develop a bit of 'stiction' and will make the holster extremely steady.

Then don't worry about it. Seriously. Most people probably wouldn't notice it if it were balanced on your head :lol:

bnc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bnc »

MechAg94 wrote:
bnc wrote:I understand having a hard time finding holsters for the Jericho, I haven't found one yet for my CZ (similar guns) and only have a basic Uncle Mike's for it.

If you are alright with something a bit more old fashioned, the Cuda holster from Simply Rugged might work well. They don't specifically mention Jericho on their compatibility chart, but maybe the ones for CZ or EEA Witness of the same barrel length might work. For mordern Kydex, maybe Bladetech.

I was worried about people noticing the but of my LCR moving a bit as I walk (front carry), but really everyone is pretty clueless.
I'm not sure what CZ you mean. I carry a CZ 75 P06 in 40 caliber. I have a crossbreed that works fine, but I picked up a leather holster that is similar to the Milt Sparks holsters. If you can wait, Milt Sparks might be the way to go.
I have an SP-01 Tactical, which Crossbreed does make a holster for (but I'm not looking for that style of holster). But for CZs it seems that you need to order sight unseen, like from Milt Sparks and others. I've never seen a gun shop actually stock a CZ specific holster, obviously since they are not very popular (at least compared to the Glocks, 1911s, and Sigs of the world). The point I was making was that haven't found a CZ holster in the flesh. I'm going to get around to ordering something at some point, I just am a little reluctant to order something sight unseen, especially with long lead times and significant prices. I know it won't happen, but I would love to be able to compare holsters in person between guys like Milt Sparks, Simply Rugged, RGrizzle, DM Bullard and the rest. Being fairly new to carrying and not completely certain of or experienced with various types of carry adds another layer of complication.

Matt78665

Post by Matt78665 »

Glock 27 and Supertuck here. I am not a skinny guy and I can use this combo with a shirt that goes below the waist everytime.

:txflag: :patriot:
"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
St. Augustine

phrogg

Post by phrogg »

TXMATT101 wrote:Its hard finding holsters for my jericho and my xdm is to big i would think.I orderd a new holster from theholsterstore and orderd it with a 15% forward cant and this one is supposed to be molded to fit my gun.I dont sag bye any means but do yall have to pull yalls pants up more than normal? Im carrying right behind my right hip.If anyone out there carrys a xdm 4.5 in or something that size and you use a crossbreed supertuck or a galco king tuck or a minatour i would like to know if those holsters make a big diffrence from a regular iwb holster.
My primary carry until about 1 month ago has been a 4.5" XDm. I first carried a .40 and then bought a .45 and carried both of those in a Comp-Tac Minotaur. I recently purchased a Kahr CW45 and have started carrying that regularly. I never had a problem concealing the XDm at about 3:30/4:00 on my right hip. I've got the Minotaur at full depth and it already had the right amount of cant built in though you could change that a bit more if you wanted.

For the Kahr I bought a Fist Inc ultrathin kydex IWB J-Hook holster. Its super sweet, very small and very thin. It just came in this past week and I love it! Sure wish it had a little piece that came up to cover the back of the slide though. I initially thought it needed that to keep the sweat off, but after this cold snap and grabbing my gun from where it was in the car during work (cannot carry at work) I realized that cold steel gets REALLY cold when its in the 30's outside! Undershirt time!!!
----
Welcome to Texas. If you ain't packin, you are slackin!

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Comp-Tac makes both the CTAC and the MTAC, and both for the CZ.

I have a CTAC for my CZ75D PCR compact 9. At the time, they didn't have a mold for that specific model so I drove up to their shop (North Houston, not far from Intercontinental Airport) and they made the mold in just a few minutes. The Jericho might be similar enough to a CZ model that they can suggest one that will do, or you could do what I did (if you live fairly close to Houston).

Worth a try.

rthillusa

Post by rthillusa »

I second the Comp Tech MTAC recommendation. When I first got it, I had the same problem you describe, felt a bulge when ever I bent over. Seemed huge to me, probably was hardly noticeable, but it made me self conscious and that's not good. I experimented with different cants and found that while no cant put the gun deep down and out of site, it was very hard to draw. I switched to max cant and the butt just hugs my back. I can bend all the way over at the waste with just a white cotton undershirt and the butt is virtually unnoticeable, even when you know its there. I do carry one of the smaller 9 mms.

chefkristian

Post by chefkristian »

You are never going to get a good conceal using that uncle mike's holster. I have found that the clip is lower than most holsters, which forces the butt of your weapon out.

I just saved my pennies and bought 2 things... First I bought a gun that was EASIER to conceal and Second I bought a Crossbreed-style IWB. I actually bought 7 different guns before I found one that I like to carry for 18 hours a day. (Kahr PM9)

My rule of thumb is: Just because you own a gun, that doesn't mean it should be the one you carry. ;-)
NRA Member
TSRA Member
7-24-10 CHL Class
7-28-10 Online Application & hand delivered paperwork
9-03-10 PIH! 38 days...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TXMATT101 wrote:First off thank yall for yalls responce . Right now i am just using a cheap uncle mikes.Its hard finding holsters for my jericho and my xdm is to big i would think.I orderd a new holster from theholsterstore and orderd it with a 15% forward cant and this one is supposed to be molded to fit my gun.I dont sag bye any means but do yall have to pull yalls pants up more than normal? Im carrying right behind my right hip.If anyone out there carrys a xdm 4.5 in or something that size and you use a crossbreed supertuck or a galco king tuck or a minatour i would like to know if those holsters make a big diffrence from a regular iwb holster.And for the gentlemen who asked about the size of my shirts i did make sure to buy them a size bigger. AGAIN tHANKS FOR EVERYONES INFO Matt
Short answer: the Crossbreed Supertuck and the Minotaur MTAC are probably the two most popular IWB holsters on this website for a very good reason. Others are very good. These two are exceptional for IWB carry. Secondly, BUY A GUN BELT!!! This cannot be emphasized enough. A good belt will go a LONG way toward making concealed carry bearable.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Ol Zeke

Post by Ol Zeke »

chefkristian wrote:My rule of thumb is: Just because you own a gun, that doesn't mean it should be the one you carry. ;-)
:???: Now ya tell me! I was really gettin' stressed, tryin' to keep up with the rotation sequence :mrgreen:

rdcrags
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rdcrags »

If a fast draw is not your objective, try 8 o'clock crossdraw. You can bend over all you want and the grip won't print. You can even lift your shirt with your right hand and remove the weapon with your left hand, and pass it to your right hand, or not.
TX CHL 1997

rexinthecity

Post by rexinthecity »

phrogg wrote:
TXMATT101 wrote:Its hard finding holsters for my jericho and my xdm is to big i would think.I orderd a new holster from theholsterstore and orderd it with a 15% forward cant and this one is supposed to be molded to fit my gun.I dont sag bye any means but do yall have to pull yalls pants up more than normal? Im carrying right behind my right hip.If anyone out there carrys a xdm 4.5 in or something that size and you use a crossbreed supertuck or a galco king tuck or a minatour i would like to know if those holsters make a big diffrence from a regular iwb holster.
My primary carry until about 1 month ago has been a 4.5" XDm. I first carried a .40 and then bought a .45 and carried both of those in a Comp-Tac Minotaur. I recently purchased a Kahr CW45 and have started carrying that regularly. I never had a problem concealing the XDm at about 3:30/4:00 on my right hip. I've got the Minotaur at full depth and it already had the right amount of cant built in though you could change that a bit more if you wanted.
I've been carrying the same setup, just with an Crossbreed Supertuck, since I got my CHL in April. Conceals really well, except every now and then the butt of the grip prints but no one has ever commented on it.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

As I get older, I find that my problem is more with the bulge under the gun than the one over it. :rolll
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

ExMarlboroMan

Post by ExMarlboroMan »

jamisjockey wrote:If you have a bulge, chances are if you bend over your shirt will hook on the butt, exposing it.

You might need to examine your clothing choices. I wear alot of baggier t-shirts and button shirts with longer tails. I've already got a beer gut, so I have to stay away from "athletic" cut clothing. No way I can conceal under those.

I know alot of people like leather belts, but I don't. I am hooked on the 5.11 trainer belt. Velcro means you can cinch it down to the right tightness.

I carry a fullsized 1911, which is easily as heavy or heavier than an XDM (but not as wide).

My holster is the Minotaur (comp-tac). By having some forward cant in it, and wearing it just behind 3:00, it hardly bulges ever and is way les likely to snag on my shirt during movement.
Same here, 5.11 belt and comp-tac minotaur. Except I carry a 3 inch 1911 or a Glock 19. The grip of the 1911 is longer but I still can conceal it, and I'm 6'2 and 150 soaking wet. The belt all but stopped my pants from dropping down, I've noticed it depends on which pants I wear also and how tight they fit me in the waist. Wranglers I usually have no problem with, and I wear them all day while doing very physical work.

I too started off with a uncle mikes IWB and what a pile of junk it was. The minotaur or a similar holster such as the crossbreed supertuck is what I needed, it's comfortable and practical.
NRA Member
"Don't retreat, just reload!"- Sarah Palin
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”