Having trouble concealing without a bulge.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TXMATT101
Posts in topic: 3

Having trouble concealing without a bulge.

Post by TXMATT101 »

Hello I hope someone can be helpful to my problem.I have a jericho compact polymer version and for a holster i have several standard IWB holsters . The but of my pistol always makes a bulge threw my shirt and i always have to wear a jacket,and sitting down or leaning over is out of the question.Is a bulge okay? And what can i do to beable to sit down or lean over in public without having to worry about my firearm showing? Thank you Much

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Having trouble concealing without a bulge.

Post by Pawpaw »

First off, a bulge is really no big deal. You could hide a dictionary under your shirt and 99.9% of people won't notice.

Having said that, I do understand. Lots of forward cant in a good IWB holster will usually pull the gun butt in tight against your side.

What IWB holsters are you using?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

wrinkles
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wrinkles »

Your the only one that notices the bulge. Really I was the same way the first few times.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

As others have said, a bulge is not automatically bad.

It depends a lot where the bulge is, lower 6 o'clock isn't usually real good. :smilelol5:

Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

Yeah, what holster is it? It really matters where you wear it IWB and what kind of cant the holster is capable of achieving.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Is your cover shirt at least one size larger than what you would normally wear? I'm comfortable with 2 times bigger and either short sleeves or long rolled up. I also like denim shirts. They're heavier and don't blow up as easily. I do have one denim shirt that is only one size larger, but it is a tall. It works good.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
TXMATT101

Post by TXMATT101 »

First off thank yall for yalls responce . Right now i am just using a cheap uncle mikes.Its hard finding holsters for my jericho and my xdm is to big i would think.I orderd a new holster from theholsterstore and orderd it with a 15% forward cant and this one is supposed to be molded to fit my gun.I dont sag bye any means but do yall have to pull yalls pants up more than normal? Im carrying right behind my right hip.If anyone out there carrys a xdm 4.5 in or something that size and you use a crossbreed supertuck or a galco king tuck or a minatour i would like to know if those holsters make a big diffrence from a regular iwb holster.And for the gentlemen who asked about the size of my shirts i did make sure to buy them a size bigger. AGAIN tHANKS FOR EVERYONES INFO Matt

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

TXMATT101 wrote:but do yall have to pull yalls pants up more than normal?
I carry with a crossbreed gun belt, but prior to, I was always yanking my pants up and cinching the belt as tight as I could
TXMATT101 wrote:.If anyone out there carrys a xdm 4.5 in or something that size and you use a crossbreed supertuck
I use a crossbreed for my XD9sc, but my brother in law has the XDm 4.5, which also fits this holster.
I have put his XDm in my holster and have the same "butt showing" issue.
Simply, the mag length is too long for concealed carry with just a cover shirt, and in my opinion, if i were to carry his weapon, (he does not have his CHL yet btw), I would have to wear a cover jacket not just a shirt for that reason.

The XDm is a fantastic weapon for the range and home defense, but for concealed carry, may not be the right way to go.

I was talking to a worker at Academy the other day about the XDm, he said he has one, and to make it concealable, he took his dremel tool and cut down the grip length and is using a magazine for the XD, and not the XDm, so he is getting the XDm barrel length for accuracy, but the XD grip length and magazine for concealability.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I carry a fullsize M&P in a Crossbreed Supertuck at 4-4:30 no bulge. Be sure you are using a good belt and cinch it up snugly. 'Ive worn an untucked polo shirt and an untucked Tee shirt as a cover garment many times with no problem. As others have stated the bulge looks bigger to you than to anyone else.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Mojo, Ive never compared the M&P to the XDm grip length, are they about the same (I would guess so, but don't honestly know)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The M&P grip is about as long as a Government Model 1911. It's longer than my XD service model. A good forward cant and tucking the butt of the gun in behind a "love handle" makes the gun almost invisible.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

:iagree: with what everyone else has said. I have two crossbreed's (super tuck & quick clip) and they conceal very well.

I find I like the Kholster better because it's large leather backing keeps the pistol completely aways from my side and the grips don't eat my hide.

As has been said GET A GUN BELT! It makes all the difference in the world.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

If you have a bulge, chances are if you bend over your shirt will hook on the butt, exposing it.

You might need to examine your clothing choices. I wear alot of baggier t-shirts and button shirts with longer tails. I've already got a beer gut, so I have to stay away from "athletic" cut clothing. No way I can conceal under those.

I know alot of people like leather belts, but I don't. I am hooked on the 5.11 trainer belt. Velcro means you can cinch it down to the right tightness.

I carry a fullsized 1911, which is easily as heavy or heavier than an XDM (but not as wide).

My holster is the Minotaur (comp-tac). By having some forward cant in it, and wearing it just behind 3:00, it hardly bulges ever and is way les likely to snag on my shirt during movement.

bnc

Post by bnc »

I understand having a hard time finding holsters for the Jericho, I haven't found one yet for my CZ (similar guns) and only have a basic Uncle Mike's for it.

If you are alright with something a bit more old fashioned, the Cuda holster from Simply Rugged might work well. They don't specifically mention Jericho on their compatibility chart, but maybe the ones for CZ or EEA Witness of the same barrel length might work. For mordern Kydex, maybe Bladetech.

I was worried about people noticing the but of my LCR moving a bit as I walk (front carry), but really everyone is pretty clueless.

Griffen

Post by Griffen »

The only time anyone would notice a big bulge is when its a few inches below your belt buckle, or if you're pregnant....
Lifetime NRA Member
Member Texas Firearms Coalition

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress. -John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”