Sent off the Kimber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Sent off the Kimber

Post by Excaliber »

PUCKER wrote:My only comment/experience with Kimber is with my Compact Aluminum model, I bought it used in '96 and it has worked FLAWLESSLY...other than needing a new plunger tube, that's it (as far as I know - it's possible that it could've had work done on it prior to me purchasing it, but it's doubtful). I have shot the gun quite a bit so I don't see the plunger tube as an issue - meaning, I think it would've happened with any other 1911 with the same number of rounds through it too. When Euless Guns and Ammo fixed the plunger tube I also had them do some updating/cosmetic work (reblued - to black - and added the Kimber night sights). My gun is admittedly a plain-jane style of Kimber and it's NOT a safe queen, nothing flashy at all, it's basic black but it's a SWEET and dependable shooter/carry gun. My S&W .38 BG gets carried more (simply due to comfort), but the Kimber gets carried a bunch too. :tiphat:

**Edited to add this: I bought my Glock 17 (new) about a year before my Kimber...and have NEVER done any work/mods/repair to it, everything is A-OK, other than just a little bit of holster wear...so, does that mean my Glock is a better gun? :biggrinjester: :evil2: I'll tell ya, I much prefer the way my Kimber shoots but I really like the round capacity of the Glock. I like both though. :tiphat: Maybe I should carry both! Yeah, that's it...nah, just teasing! :biggrinjester:
The spring replacement chart (page 7 in the Kimber instruction manual) recommends that the recoil spring in their compact models be changed every 800 rounds. If you haven't been keeping up with this, you might want to replace it now and establish a replacement schedule based on your round count usage to make sure this critical part doesn't let you down when you can least afford it.

I got behind on this and learned why it was important the hard way when the recoil spring assembly in my Ultra Carry (which is a different design than the compact and has a different replacement schedule) failed on the range during an exercise.

It's :oops: on the range - it's :banghead: in the street.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

Excaliber - thank you for the reminder! :tiphat: Where is the best local (DFW) shop to purchase the recoil spring at, in your opinion?

Aggie_engr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Aggie_engr »

gigag04 wrote:Will eat my words after a range day and dept qual.
Be patient gigag. Just something to think of, with the new slide the gun may need breaking in. But I'm sure you will confirm this on your range day. Congrats and glad to see that kimber made it right. :thumbs2: Hopefully you will be satisfied with your kimber!

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

I'll defend Kimber's customer service reputation, although I had to send it on my dime to them. I had FTE's right out of the box and they replaced the extractor, threw in a Tac Mag and for some reason replaced the Crimson Trace grips for a new set. Had my pistol back in my hands 4 weeks from the day I sent it off.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Backslider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Backslider »

I'm posting this semi-rhetorical question preemptively, as I am one bad trip to the range from sending back my Super Carry Pro.

Is it really a positive for customer service if you have to send back a NIB pistol on your own dime because it malfunctioned, no matter what Kimber did after receiving it?
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

Backslider wrote:I'm posting this semi-rhetorical question preemptively, as I am one bad trip to the range from sending back my Super Carry Pro.

Is it really a positive for customer service if you have to send back a NIB pistol on your own dime because it malfunctioned, no matter what Kimber did after receiving it?
No, not at all. No matter how good the customer service is. You still had to return a brand new product. Of course, good customer service is still a great thing to have. But never needing customer service is the best scenario ..... everyone remember the old "Maytag man" commericals?

A-R
Posts in topic: 5

Post by A-R »

Excaliber wrote:
PUCKER wrote:...so, does that mean my Glock is a better gun? :biggrinjester: :evil2:
The spring replacement chart (page 7 in the Kimber instruction manual) recommends that the recoil spring in their compact models be changed every 800 rounds.
I owned my first Glock for 10 years before replacing a single part, not even a spring. I never even thought about keeping a round count so honestly don't have a clue. I didn't shoot as much back then as I do now, but I'd conservatively guess I had over 5,000 rounds through the gun. Then I replaced a recoil spring "just because". The gun wasn't having any problems or doing anything wrong. I just figured after 10 years, I'd buy it a gift for being so reliable and trustworthy.

*FLAME RETARDANT SUIT: ACTIVATED* :anamatedbanana

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 19

Post by gigag04 »

Kimber is in. I just woke up so I'll pick it up on the way to work.

Hopefully get to shoot tomorrow.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Excaliber »

gigag04 wrote:Kimber is in. I just woke up so I'll pick it up on the way to work.

Hopefully get to shoot tomorrow.
:hurry:

We're looking forward to the :fire report.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

VMaxer wrote:Wow, just being an admirer of 1911's (and not owning one) I had always kept my eye out for the Kimber that spoke to me from the gun case. After reading this thread, I'll certainly reconsider. I had no idea of their service / support rep that some are reporting. Certainly eye opening.
Do you reckon that some of Kimber's advertising money could be better spent on QC and Customer Service? Just wonderin....

In any event, I hope gigag04's pistol works for him when he dors get it back.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

eesh...for such a high dollar item, you'd think it would work out of the box and not need replacement parts after two or three range trips.

/glock guy
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

austinrealtor wrote:
Backslider wrote:I'm posting this semi-rhetorical question preemptively, as I am one bad trip to the range from sending back my Super Carry Pro.

No, not at all. No matter how good the customer service is. You still had to return a brand new product. Of course, good customer service is still a great thing to have. But never needing customer service is the best scenario ..... everyone remember the old "Maytag man" commericals?

I got my Kimber back quicker than my Glock(22 that broke a frame rail) that had to be sent back, plus Kimber at least threw in a extra mag where as Glock just sent it back after repair.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

pbwalker wrote:eesh...for such a high dollar item, you'd think it would work out of the box and not need replacement parts after two or three range trips.

/glock guy
The vast majority of them do. Even Mercedes and Lexus go into the shop for warranty work.

/Kimber guy ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

USA1 wrote:
pbwalker wrote:eesh...for such a high dollar item, you'd think it would work out of the box and not need replacement parts after two or three range trips.

/glock guy
The vast majority of them do. Even Mercedes and Lexus go into the shop for warranty work.

/Kimber guy ;-)
That's cool...I'm more of a Toyota guy anyways. ;-)

I haven't had to change a thing in my Glock yet, and I'm well over 800 rounds.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”