Kimber CDP II vs. Springfield EMP

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Painter99
Posts in topic: 2

Kimber CDP II vs. Springfield EMP

Post by Painter99 »

Looking to purchase another pistol and wanted some opinions from you folks. This will probably be my new carry and last pistol purchase for a while.(time to move on to some new long guns next). Any coments would be a great help.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/p ... ra_cdp_II/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pic only of EMP

http://www.lesjones.com/www/images/post ... MicroL.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks , Bryan

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kimber CDP II vs. Springfield EMP

Post by G.A. Heath »

The EMP is a smaller gun that required nearly redesigning the entire platform to get it down to the size its at. The CDP is a standard 3 inch 1911. When comparing these two firearms you have to keep those facts in mind.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I don't know anything about the EMP, but I love my Ultra CDP!

I also have a Rock Island compact (Officer's size).

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I say CDP, but as my handle implies, I might be biased.

Munk

Post by Munk »

Kimber!
III%

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

I've never heard a bad thing about about the EMP either.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

If you've never shot an EMP 9mm, boy is it a soft shooting piece! My dad has the springfield micro compact in .45 and loves it. I OTH have a kimber pro carry, which I have never had a problem out of and I shoot it pretty heavily in IDPA and such... I don't think you could go wrong with either one, just keep in mind what G.A. Heath mentioned about the size difference.

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

If your in the Houston area I know Top Gun range has a 9mm EMP available for rent. I shot it and liked everything about it but the price. But if your are in that market the Kimber is equally priced. The EMP is tiny for sure, but a great shooter.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

I'm afraid I don't see a great "size" difference here. The EMP is listed as 0.3" shorter than the CDP II, but it's also 0.25" taller than the CDP II, at least according to the manufacturer's specs. The EMP is also 1oz heavier than the CDP II. The Colt Defender is pretty much the same size as either of those two and is $300-400 cheaper than either, and is available in .45 ACP or 9mm. While I own the Colt, I have fired all three and don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Just choose what you want, .45, .40 or 9mm. Oh, and be advised that the EMP in .40 cal is not available with an alloy frame and is quite a bit heavier than the Kimber, EMP 9mm, or the Colt.

Topic author
Painter99

Post by Painter99 »

Thanks for all the insight folks. Went ahead and went with the Kimber,but chose the Ultra Crimson Carry II. Feels great in the hand and am looking forward to the range tomorrow. Will post a pic in a new thread . Thanks all, Bryan

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

Pics and range targets are proof...
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”