Considering a Walther PPK for CCW

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fadlan12
Posts in topic: 2

Considering a Walther PPK for CCW

Post by fadlan12 »

I have been stressing trying to conceal my 45s without having to layer up. I have a coupple of good holsters and a darn sturdy belt. I like the way the PPK .380 feels but I have never shot one and know nothing about their reliability.

cyphur
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cyphur »

I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II, which is a 3" 1911 45ACP. In a Tucker Answer, it disappears with a t-shirt.

It conceals so well that I'm looking into OWB holsters as well.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

The last PPK/S I had was when they were being imported by Interarms.

They are currently being made under contract by S&W. The older PPK/S left me bleeding every time I shot it due to 'slide bite'. The S&W version has an extended tang to prevent that.

I always considered it a well made gun and it shot well.

With the advent of smaller, lighter pistols in .380, I no longer have any use for a .380 that is as large and heavy as a PPK/S. There are 9mm pistols that compare favorably with the size and weight of a PPK/S.

I carry 4" and 5" 1911's IWB (Tucker) and have just acquired a complete Tucker rig OWB that conceals under an untucked shirt.

For most, there just is no reason to settle on .380 for your main carry.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
fadlan12
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fadlan12 »

Don't get me wrong, I love both my 1911s. I will just have to by some more long shirts. I need to curb my gun purchases for a while.
thanks for the input.

Thane

Post by Thane »

Don't give up on hiding your 1911s.

When I first got my CHL (long, long ago, back in June :lol: ), I was wondering what kind of gun I'd be able to conceal. I'm 5' 6", and not much over 135. There's not much apparent room to conceal anything. I was looking at stuff like the Pager Pal, SmartCarry, Thunderwear, etc, and wondering how badly it'd print (And how badly it'd hurt if I sat down wrong... :shock: ).

Then I started fiddling around with a cheap belly-band holster. Just for kicks, I stuck my 5" 1911 in it, positioned at about 4 o'clock, and tucked my shirt in. The gun disappeared.

I carry a 3" 1911 most of the time, as the muzzle of a longer gun can kinda "pinch" the skin if I sit down wrong. But both guns are remarkably slim for their firepower. Positioned just behind the hip, they are comfortable carry pieces for all day long. Blouse out the tucked in shirt just slightly, and the "lump" caused by the pistol butt disappears. Friends and coworkers have sworn I had nothing on me, when in fact there was a big ol' .45 on my hip.

For concealed-carry, there's darn few guns that beat a 1911. Try out holsters; I'm sure you'll find one that works. The difficulty in finding a good holster is worth it, at least to me, for the peace of mind that comes with carrying a "large-caliber handgun." :grin:

romcneil

Re: Considering a Walther PPK for CCW

Post by romcneil »

fadlan12 wrote:I have been stressing trying to conceal my 45s without having to layer up. I have a coupple of good holsters and a darn sturdy belt. I like the way the PPK .380 feels but I have never shot one and know nothing about their reliability.
I have a Walther PP in .32ACP, and it is a nice pistol; I have carried it in the past. The only problem I have with it is feeding the Blazer aluminum cased cartridges. However, the Kahr K-40 or K-9 are just as small, nearly as liight, and have much more effective rounds. I currently have a Kahr MK-40, which would be smaller than the PPK, as an alternative to carrying my 1911s.
Bob

stash

Post by stash »

If you are sill interested in the PPK, before you buy, you might check out the Bersa Thunder 380 (a PPK look-a-like) a really solid little pistol with a good reputation. I got mine a couple of months ago at Academy for 218.00 + tax and I really like it.

G.C.Montgomery

Re: Considering a Walther PPK for CCW

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

fadlan12 wrote:I have been stressing trying to conceal my 45s without having to layer up. I have a coupple of good holsters and a darn sturdy belt. I like the way the PPK .380 feels but I have never shot one and know nothing about their reliability.
Modern PPK's aren't known for high reliability in my limited experience. I've seen a few older German made guns that seemed to run better but these are collectors items for the most part and not cheap.

Hiding a 1911 can be a challenge and I don't know your build. I can say, some body types have a far easier time than others. But finding the right holster and carrying in the right position can make all the difference in the world.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

PPK's are fine little guns. The new ones by S&W are reliable as can be, don't bite the web of your hand due to the beavertail, and are accurate.

Bersa's; there are those who have them and love them, and those who hate them. As a person who worked at a gun range and saw MANY over three years I can attest that their relabiility is spotty at best. I also know of NO LE agency that authorizes them for Back UP or off duty carry.

All of that said, I carry a fullsized 1911 in all weather conditions.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I'm not sure who made this one, but my dad has an older one, and it jams about once a magazine. It is due to limp wristing, I'm convinced, but it was still to often for my taste. I haven't fired it in quite some time.

FWIW, happy hunting.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”