Can it be done? L1A Visa

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chrisansilver
Posts in topic: 5

Can it be done? L1A Visa

Post by chrisansilver »

I have a friend here on a L1A Visa from Canada, its a 3 year Visa. He owns his home here in Texas, has Texas DL, SSN, and married to a Texas gal. He has spoken to me about getting a CHL, he has recently bought 2 rifles with no issues. He plans apply for legal residency a year before visa expires. Can he get a Texax CHL?
Thanks. :txflag:
My CHL Application.
08-28-10 -- CHL class
09-01-10 -- Application mailed to DPS
09-03-10 -- Received at DPS
09-15-10 -- Information available Processing app
09-23-10--Fingerprints complete
09-24-10-- Background complete
09-24-10-- Manufacturing Pending
10-01-10-- Mailed
10-08-10-- Plastic in hand

shootthesheet
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can it be done? L1A Visa

Post by shootthesheet »

It sounds like he is still on a temporary work Visa for which must be renewed every three years from what you posted. If this is his status he should not be able to buy firearms. Are you sure he purchased those firearms from a FFL dealer and went thru the checks? He should have been denied if he is on an L1A. Even if he is married to a U.S. citizen his status doesn't automatically change. Property ownership has nothing to do with it either. He has to do the paperwork and pay the fees in order to have his status changed. That takes longer in many cases, or has in the past, than going for his "Green card" without his wife’s involvement other than as a fact on his application/s. Everything I have written is from experience with my wife and I could be totally off.

I don't think he can get a CHL when he is on a Visa that must be renewed every three years. He needs to get a "Green card" and I know for sure then he can get a CHL. I am sure instructors will post on this and give you further information. I would suggest you call TDPS CHL in Austin and talk to the girls there no matter what anyone posts here. That way he doesn't waste his time and money.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
chrisansilver

Post by chrisansilver »

Yes he purchased them from Gander Mountain, there was like a 3 day delay on the first purchase, and no delay on the second. You are correct on it being a work visa, I didnt know the answer to his question.
I was thinking he could get a CHL due to the fact he can purchase firearms with no issue, and this latest purchase has been with in the last 2 months.
Thanks for your reply. :tiphat:

I am hoping to get more hits on this.
My CHL Application.
08-28-10 -- CHL class
10-01-10-- Mailed

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

what shootthesheet said is correct. Since your friend is married to US citizen he can get his Green card and US citizenship on faster track than employment based immigration. He does not need to wait to file for a Green card.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

CaptWoodrow10

Post by CaptWoodrow10 »

+1 on the Green Card. It sounds like he will be a great addition to Texas. :thumbs2:
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber CDP II

Topic author
chrisansilver

Post by chrisansilver »

I will pass this on, I just think it is strange that he can purchase a firearm, seems to me the BG check has to be up to snuff!

Thanks for all those that have responded, :tiphat:

And yes he will be a great addition to Texas :thumbs2: and already is :txflag:
My CHL Application.
08-28-10 -- CHL class
10-01-10-- Mailed

maxlib

Post by maxlib »

CaptWoodrow10 wrote:+1 on the Green Card. It sounds like he will be a great addition to Texas. :thumbs2:
+1 We need more immigrants to the US who only use "no habla englese" as a joke.
“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful”. Count Greffi, A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemmingway

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Why doesn't he just apply for a marrage visa and just adjust status since he is married to an American. Depending on how long they have been married it could be to his benefit.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

NickP30

Post by NickP30 »

Being "Canadian" I will attest to the green card or in my case permanent residency card will allow you to submit and baring any unknowns receive his CHL. Permanent residency took us around 3 years start to finish. It is not a simple or cheap process by any means. Hope this helps.

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hirundo82 »

chrisansilver wrote:I will pass this on, I just think it is strange that he can purchase a firearm, seems to me the BG check has to be up to snuff!
Non-resident aliens can legally possess and purchase firearms in the US if they have a hunting license. I obviously don't know if that's how your friend did it, but as far as I am aware it is pretty much the only way to buy firearms legally without a green card.

A green card would make things much easier though--you pretty much get all the rights and privileges of a citizen except for the voting thing.

dicion
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dicion »

NickP30 wrote:Permanent residency took us around 3 years start to finish. It is not a simple or cheap process by any means. Hope this helps.
:iagree:

3 Years, and ~$4,000 was about the end cost for my Wife's Green card, the legal way. Plus medical checks, multiple interviews, etc.

It's not a fun process, to say the least, and it takes time, but It only makes me even angrier at the politicians turning a blind eye to illegal immigration. We paid the money and time cost to get her legal, so should everyone else.

Bart

Post by Bart »

chrisansilver wrote:I have a friend here on a L1A Visa from Canada, its a 3 year Visa. He owns his home here in Texas, has Texas DL, SSN, and married to a Texas gal. He has spoken to me about getting a CHL, he has recently bought 2 rifles with no issues. He plans apply for legal residency a year before visa expires. Can he get a Texax CHL?
I don't see anything in the CHL eleigibity requirements about citizenship in §411.172. Your friend does have to meet all the requirements in §411.172 including being "fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to pur­chase a handgun" but it doesn't specify purchase from an FFL.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

hirundo82 wrote:
chrisansilver wrote:I will pass this on, I just think it is strange that he can purchase a firearm, seems to me the BG check has to be up to snuff!
Non-resident aliens can legally possess and purchase firearms in the US if they have a hunting license. I obviously don't know if that's how your friend did it, but as far as I am aware it is pretty much the only way to buy firearms legally without a green card.

A green card would make things much easier though--you pretty much get all the rights and privileges of a citizen except for the voting thing.
I thought anyone could vote as long as they showed up at the polling station or filled out an absentee ballot.

One lady in Washington state successfully registered her dog to vote. She did it to show how broken the system was and contacted a reporter who ran the story. She ended up getting prosecuted. This was in the 2006 election, I believe.

Topic author
chrisansilver

Post by chrisansilver »

Bart wrote:
chrisansilver wrote:I have a friend here on a L1A Visa from Canada, its a 3 year Visa. He owns his home here in Texas, has Texas DL, SSN, and married to a Texas gal. He has spoken to me about getting a CHL, he has recently bought 2 rifles with no issues. He plans apply for legal residency a year before visa expires. Can he get a Texax CHL?
I don't see anything in the CHL eleigibity requirements about citizenship in §411.172. Your friend does have to meet all the requirements in §411.172 including being "fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to pur­chase a handgun" but it doesn't specify purchase from an FFL.
He has sponsorship from major oil & gas service provider, no problems on being qaulified under applicable federal and state law. He has absolutely squeeky clean record :thumbs2:

I spoke to CHL instructor in Houston today, he sees no reason the CHL would'nt be issued. This will be confirmed tomorrow. :txflag:
My CHL Application.
08-28-10 -- CHL class
10-01-10-- Mailed

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Texas does not require US Citizenship to grant a CHL, they require a green card.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”