"Arizona style" Immigration Bill Filed in Texas

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Arizona style" Immigration Bill Filed in Texas

Post by Skiprr »

drjoker wrote:Anyone have a link to the actual bill ? Thanks.
Here's a link that will be very handy during the legislative session: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/resource ... ABill.aspx

Debbie Riddle actually slept on the floor of the House for two nights to ensure she would be the first to file bills as soon as filing opened Monday, November 8. Four of those--HB 17, HB 18, HB 21, and HB 22--relate to immigration. HB 18 is the bill described here. You can read the current text of the bill here: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=HB18.

To read the other bills mentioned, just change the "18" in the URL to the appropriate bill number.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

drjoker wrote:Anyone have a link to the actual bill ? Thanks.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... Bill=HB183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the bill's sub-site (or whatever it's called)
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/82 ... 00183I.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the bill's text

(Thanks, Skiprr!)
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

:clapping: :txflag:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

drjoker wrote:I will be keeping a close eye on this one. I do oppose illegal immigration, but we have to be careful that the wording is not racist nor facist. As long as the law inquires the immigration status of everyone who is arrested for breaking a law, I have no problems with the law. However, if the law lets police officers detain anyone they want just because they suspect someone is an illegal immigrant, then that would make it a racist law and I would not support it. Texas being a state with a very large voting Hispanic population, I suspect that the law would probably NOT be written in a racist manner. I will wait until I read the actual bill before I pass judgement on this one. Anyone have a link to the actual bill ? Thanks.
The Arizona bill - which the Texas bill is purported to be patterned after - did not allow racial profiling, and it did not provide for "suspicion of being here illegally" as a reason to stop someone. What it DID provide for was for police to check on someone's immigration status after they had already been arrested for something else. All this hyperventilating in the media about it was a pack of lies from a press with an agenda. Under the Arizona law, police could NOT stop someone for "looking Mexican." Presumably, the Texas law would be the same, and whatever you read in the press about it is likely a lie. If you are genuinely concerned about it - and we all should be - the proposed language of the bill is available online, as linked to by Dave2 above.

Here is the text of HB183:
82R1155 MAW-D

By: Solomons H.B. No. 183

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the duty of a law enforcement agency to verify the
immigration status of an arrested person.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Chapter 2, Code of Criminal Procedure, is
amended by adding Article 2.252 to read as follows:
Art. 2.252. VERIFICATION OF ARRESTED PERSON'S IMMIGRATION
STATUS. Not later than 48 hours after a person is arrested and
before the person is released on bond, the law enforcement agency
that arrested the person or that has custody of the person shall:
(1) have the person's immigration status verified by:
(A) a peace officer or other law enforcement
officer of this state who is authorized under federal law to verify
a person's immigration status; or
(B) a federal law enforcement officer, in
accordance with 8 U.S.C. Section 1373(c); and
(2) if United States Immigration and Customs
Enforcement does not have the results of the immigration status
verification under Subdivision (1), notify United States
Immigration and Customs Enforcement of the results of the
immigration status verification if the verification reveals that
the person:
(A) is not a citizen or national of the United
States; and
(B) is unlawfully present in the United States
according to the terms of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of
1986 (8 U.S.C. Section 1101 et seq.).

SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2011.
Given the drubbing that the party of Obama took just a few days ago, I doubt that Eric Holder will mount much of a challenge to the Texas law, assuming it passes. Look for all challenges to come from "immigrant rights" groups, and the voters of Nancy Pelosi's district, through the courts.

BTW, I saw an excellent show on the border drug wars in Texas on NatGeo a couple of nights ago. It wasn't part of the "Border Wars" series, but a separate documentary unto itself. And it was very blunt. They spoke to a number of ranchers who own land along the Rio Grande, and those fellow Americans are pretty much fighting a guerilla war against a foreign invader without much help from the federal government, which would rather look the other way because they lack the character to do hard things. It angers the heck out of me that the government has abandoned them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

...because they lack the character to do hard things...
= fear of losing votes.

A politician's first, second and perhaps third order of business is getting re-elected.

atticus

Post by atticus »

As a follow up to the Annoyed Man's post, what about stopping someone for looking like a saudi or somali terrorist? Is it not time to take this war seriously? According to the news, the U. S. has known for years that cargo planes could be a target for terrorists. The recent toner cartridge matter is merely shedding light on something the federal government has known about for a long time, yet failed to take measures to stop. Israel's airline, El Al, is very successful in thwarting terrorism because it targets people (via intense interviewing and profiling), and not just items. It's high time that we took the war seriously, and threw out the political correctness that prevents us from defending ourselves. I'm talking about profiling terrorists and criminals. Not wholesale rounding up of populations (like the U. S. government did to Japanese Americans in WWII), but procedures modeled after those used by Israel to keep its airliners and airports safe. Let's get this Arizona styled bill passed as a first step, and go on from there to win the war. Damn the torpedos. :mad5

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Hoi Polloi »

I read at one place some time back that there were accusations of the Arizona bill being applied in a way which was specifically targeting Hispanics. That the police were systemically going into Hispanic neighborhoods in coordinated raids and stopping people on minor traffic issues for the sole reason of then being able to check their immigration papers. The counterargument was how successful they were in finding illegal immigrants in doing so.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Hoi Polloi wrote:I read at one place some time back that there were accusations of the Arizona bill being applied in a way which was specifically targeting Hispanics. That the police were systemically going into Hispanic neighborhoods in coordinated raids and stopping people on minor traffic issues for the sole reason of then being able to check their immigration papers. The counterargument was how successful they were in finding illegal immigrants in doing so.
As long as they drive into the suburbs and do the same thing on occasion, I see no problem with it. They would probably pickup more undocumented Canadians than you think...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

Dave01

Post by Dave01 »

Hoi Polloi wrote:I read at one place some time back that there were accusations of the Arizona bill being applied in a way which was specifically targeting Hispanics. That the police were systemically going into Hispanic neighborhoods in coordinated raids and stopping people on minor traffic issues for the sole reason of then being able to check their immigration papers. The counterargument was how successful they were in finding illegal immigrants in doing so.
Do a search for "New York City Stop and Frisk". This differs from what you were discussing only in that the NYPD is looking for "criminals", not "illegals" (despite the fact that they are one and the same). This has been going on for the better part of a decade. They continue to prop it up exactly in the manner you suggested...by showing how successful the policy is.

It really infuriates me that an Arizona style immigration bill has taken so much heat when much worse is currently going on (blatant racial profiling), in a liberal stronghold, right in the plain light of day, and not a peep from the media. :mad5

PRO

Post by PRO »

When stopped by an LEO, the LEO normally runs your ID through TCIC and NCIC. How hard would it be for the LEO to just run everyone’s ID through ICE? If everyone’s immigration status was being checked then no one would be discriminated against or profiled.
Phil

It is the little people who will suffer from QE2. The buying power of my mothers retirement will decrease by 40%

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

PRO wrote:When stopped by an LEO, the LEO normally runs your ID through TCIC and NCIC. How hard would it be for the LEO to just run everyone’s ID through ICE? If everyone’s immigration status was being checked then no one would be discriminated against or profiled.
Unless the primary group of people being stopped in the first place was racially motivated like the NYC example Dave referenced or the accusation being made against the AZ implementation.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Annoyed Man

Purplehood wrote:
As long as they drive into the suburbs and do the same thing on occasion, I see no problem with it. They would probably pickup more undocumented Canadians than you think...
[rant]
Canadians, Brits, Rooskies, you name it. I read somewhere that a goodly portion of those who are here illegally are non-hispanics who came here legally on some kind of temporary visa, and then let their visas expire without returning to their native countries.

As to raiding people in Hispanic neighborhoods in Arizona, that is part liberal media hyperbole, and part truth. However, such raids were being conducted by Sheriff Arpaio before Arizona had passed their controversial law, and the federal justice department and courts did not interfere. They only got their unmentionables in a twist after the law passed. Frankly, I have no problem with it.

Here is the problem with "comprehensive" immigration reform: It puts the cart before the horse. Manifestly, illegal immigrants from south of our border are the biggest and most pressing problem. Any intelligent response demands that the border be secured - by whatever means - but REALLY secured; not just in words. This is the highest order of priority, because it has implications that go beyond merely illegal immigration. It also concerns national security, and trying to stop the importation of drugs.

It is not racist to say that Hispanics who are here illegally, having crossed the southern border illegally, are generally a bigger source of pressures on our economy, social services, and legal system, than are Canadians or French who are here illegally. That's just a fact, and anyone not willing to recognize it is simply living in denial. Yes, those others need to be dealt with, but the highest priority has to be dealing with those who cross our border illegally every-single-day.

Order of priority HAS to be:
  1. Secure the border.
  2. Identify illegals (whatever their national origin).
  3. Humanely arrive at a legal disposition of the immigration status of those so identified.
  4. Make it a crime punishable by imprisonment to knowingly hire an illegal alien - whether for a temporary job like painting your house, or as a staff accountant or a petroleum engineer.
"Comprehensive" solutions is how we got Obamacare. They are an abomination, and politicians who propose them ought to be taken out back of the Capitol building and shot. The absolute RIGHT of The People to be free from tyranny by their own government demands that each of those three items deserves its own separate debate in Congress, with some kind of issue specific legislation coming out of that debate — and none of them can be intelligently debated without addressing the issue of border security FIRST. When you pass legislation to secure the entire border - not just a couple of hundred miles of it in California and Arizona - THEN you can move on to debate how illegals currently here are to be identified. And only after you have passed a bill on how to identify illegals, can you then go on to debate and pass a bill on how to arrive at a humane disposition for those already here.

And by the way, "humane" disposition must include deportation for anyone with an arrest record, or a record of depending entirely on social services aid for their existence. Humane disposition must include getting rid of "legacy" status for babies born here to parents who are here illegally. You don't reward criminal behavior by granting citizenship to people who broke our laws so their baby could be born here, and then have the audacity to rely on taxpayer generosity to subsidize their illegal residency. Humanity demands that you don't separate families. Therefore, the only solution is to deport the entire family.

But a humane disposition also means that you have to take into account an individual illegal immigrant's positive contributions to our society. Did they become self-sufficient when they got here, or did they become a net drain on the economy? Did they keep their earned dollars inside the U.S., or did they send their earned dollars outside of the country, removing them from benefitting our economy? For that to be determined, there has to be some kind of pathway to legal residency offered to qualifying illegals. That is the humane thing to do. But for it to work, the standards have to be clearly defined, and stringently enforced. I would attach in such a bill the liability to the federal employee of loss of employment for whomever fails to exercise due diligence in making that determination. You don't get to cheat the American taxpayer with impunity when they pay your salary. And by the way, humane disposition is applicable across the racial/ethnic spectrum, regardless of country of origin, or point of illegal entry into the U.S. A Swiss ex-pat who overstays his welcome must be subject to the exact same standards as the Hispanic who sneaks across the Mexican border.

Furthermore, humane disposition cannot be open-ended. Once legislation is passed on how to dispose of identified illegals, and a suitable period has been passed during which illegals can be either voluntarily or involuntarily identified, there has to be an end date - after which anyone caught residing here illegally will face automatic deportation, without a hearing. Period.

And by the way, until loud obnoxious immigrant rights groups equally vociferously condemn Mexico for what Mexico is doing along her southern border, they can just shut the heck up. I don't care what they have to say until then.
[/rant]

...not that I hold any strong opinions on the matter one way or the other.... :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Should this bill become law then In the county where I live I will say that people with light colored skin will be the #1 group arrested/detained/deported for immigration violations.

This bill differs from the AZ law in a number of key points. First off it will only call for an immigration check on folks who were arrested, where the AZ law called for a check on people the officer reasonably suspected might be an illegal immigrant. Secondly this bill would require a check on everyone who is arrested, not just those suspected of being here illegally.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

PRO

Post by PRO »

I’ve often wondered if securing our borders and immigration are two separate issues. One would have an effect on the other in that once the borders are secure it will be harder to immigrate into the US, however, dealing with the immigrants who are already here is a different issue.

As TAM said, #1. We must secure our borders first.
Phil

It is the little people who will suffer from QE2. The buying power of my mothers retirement will decrease by 40%

The Annoyed Man

PRO wrote:I’ve often wondered if securing our borders and immigration are two separate issues. One would have an effect on the other in that once the borders are secure it will be harder to immigrate into the US, however, dealing with the immigrants who are already here is a different issue.

As TAM said, #1. We must secure our borders first.
They are absolutely two separate issues, and the latter cannot be reasonably dealt with until the former is solved. Snake oil selling politicians and their liberal media enablers — along with an irrational fear of being falsely labelled "racist" — have denied the American people the opportunity to solve this problem. And mind you, The Gipper was close to my heart, but he was as guilty of selling snake oil as the next guy when he supported a "comprehensive" immigration reform bill during his administration. He famously said, "Government can't solve the problem. Government is the problem." Well he proved that one beyond a shadow of a doubt with his own immigration bill.

God, how I hate that word "comprehensive," when it comes to passing legislation. Whenever you hear a politician use that vile word, translate it as, "I'm too busy to give this important issue the attention it deserves," OR translate it as, "I am going to hold your best interests hostage so that I can get some other vile proposition rammed down your throats." Not one of those biscuit eaters has ever cared about the Constitution, except how they can get around it.

Politicians who cannot or will not bring themselves to debate and then give a fair up or down vote to a single issue, without conflating it with a bunch of other dross, are moral cowards and do not deserve the positions to which they have been elected. Loathing is not a strong enough word for what I feel about such fecklessness.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”