I survived Costco...

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
TxSheepdog
Posts in topic: 3

I survived Costco...

Post by TxSheepdog »

Well, I've had plastic for a little while now, but never gone outside with it. Can't carry at work, so that wipes out a chunk of my carry time.

I decided I had better Man up and do this, or I'll never get around to it.

I had all 3 kids by myself today (4yo, 2yo, 3mo) since the wife is working. I had an ambitious morning planned.

I carry a Govt model 1911 in a Crossbreed. 2 spare mags in a nylon knife sheath.
One thing I found out is the cell, which normally rides at 3 o'clock was now homeless. Luckily the long polo I chose had a chest pocket.

First stop was Michael's to drop of a framing order. I cheated a little and wore a paper thin nylon windbreaker over my untucked polo. No issues. The new crossbreed squeeked like crazy. I felt extremely self conscious and kept pulling up and adjusting my rig. We spent about an hour there at the frame shop. Lots of moving around, picking up the kids in and out of the basket and on the counter. Walking around looking at things.

Next stop was Bass pro at the other end of the parking lot. It takes longer to load and unload the kids to drive the 1/2 mile than it does to shop. Picked up a Streamlight Nano. Didn't wear the jacket, just the polo. No issues, no comments or dirty looks. It felt like I had a cannon strapped to my hip and needed to tow a caisson behind me. :lol:

Costco, the final frontier....
Very crowded. Almost literally elbow to elbow through the whole store, but this is normal for a weekend. I was pushing a flatbed with the 3 kids riding it. Loaded numerous boxes and other items. Lots of bending turning and getting bumped. We stopped and ate lunch at the foodcourt. Got to try out the Crossbreed while seated for a while. No issues, but I felt like I was going to snap the barrel off... Just now made it home and unloaded the truck.

All in all I think it was a successful first day of carry. I think I hit all the major points of a Wally Walk, without any cheap Chinese knock offs. :lol:

Tonight we are going to the Zoo Boo, so it will be another good test of the holster and carrying. No worries about printing though, and I'll have a jacket on..
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I survived Costco...

Post by RPB »

Congrats on your first trip :clapping:

"cheated a little and wore a paper thin nylon windbreaker over my untucked polo."

I do a similar thing daily.
Long Tail Tee-shirts and Guayabera shirt as a cover shirt.
Reason I like Guayabera more than Hawaiian is the two lower front pockets I fill with junk to weight it down so no wind can blow it up, as well as to create two more "lumps/bumps" near the belt line for camouflage.

I'm window shopping for a 3" 1911, possibly a hi-cap, if I find something reliable, but currently carry a Glock 26, morphed into a Glock 17 grip and Glock 19 barrel, but a Glock 26 slide. Sorta custom with the short slide due to that "knock the barrel off" length feeling you mentioned sitting down. ("felt like I was going to snap the barrel off.")
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

:clapping: :clapping:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RPB wrote:Congrats on your first trip :clapping:

"cheated a little and wore a paper thin nylon windbreaker over my untucked polo."

I do a similar thing daily.
My congrats too. :tiphat:
As long as it's comfortable for you, wearing a windbreaker isn't "cheating".
NRA Endowment Member

cbucher

Post by cbucher »

Congrats on the days activities. I bet it becomes more common in the future.
If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. – The Dalai Lama

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Nicely done. The kids certainly add an extra level of difficulty. And three of them under 5y, brave man!!! :tiphat:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

C-dub wrote:Nicely done. The kids certainly add an extra level of difficulty. And three of them under 5y, brave man!!! :tiphat:
I felt they added a necessary visual distraction. "Aww cute kids...ignore the bulge on dad's waist.." :lol:

I put my keys in my right jacket pocket. If I have to throw it aside, it will gain some extra momentum from the weight.

Just came back from Zoo boo. Too warm for a jacket. What a mess of disorganized people. The crossbreed is very comfortable. Getting used to the weight of everything. All in all I think this will work out well.

Tomorrow will be another challenge. Carrying at church.... :???:
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

loneaggie

Post by loneaggie »

Sounds like you're adapting just fine. I've been carrying about two months and noted that I spend less and less time worrying and matching clothes as I have a pretty good idea what works, doesn't, and works in a pinch.
Gig'em,
Loneaggie
Beretta PX4 9mm
S&W Sigma .40

phrogg

Post by phrogg »

I have to say that it just becomes natural after a while. I've carried everywhere for almost a year now and been outed only once and that was my fault for doing something that would unconceal me (holding the door open WAAAY up high so someone could go under me...should have just shifted position). She asked what that was on my hip and I said it was my Second Amendment right ;-). I've since offered to get her through a class once I manage to get through the instructor's school.
----
Welcome to Texas. If you ain't packin, you are slackin!

Topic author
TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

It was nice being able to carry during Halloween, in case one of the 6 ft tall goblins got nasty. :lol: Our neighborhood is a little unique in that there is no doorbell ringing. Everyone is out on their lawn or driveway handing out candy as groups cruise the blocks. A little safer for everyone involved, as you just dont approach houses without anyone out front, and you're less likely to get jumped, as you can see everyone approaching up and down the block.

Return to “New to CHL?”