When is a school not a school?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AR Traveler
Posts in topic: 1

When is a school not a school?

Post by AR Traveler »

So here is another real world, not so hypothetical question. If a church meets in a public school's cafeteria on Sunday, is the cafeteria a "school" and therefore off limits or a "church" and therefore okay. Would it matter if instead of a public school, the meeting place was private school's gym? Food for thought...

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

I had wondered that before when I noticed the number of churches that meet in public schools. Not sure we will get an "official" answer, but will likely be open to interpretation much like the "teaching" hospital/school issue.

Pickpocket

Post by Pickpocket »

This is really one for Chas to answer - but my opinion is that if you have to ask.... it's probably a school :)
Not all who own musical instruments are musicians.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Unfortunately, the Penal Code doesn't make any distinction as to whether teaching activities are going on or not. If it's a school building, it's off-limits.

Chas.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Unfortunately, the Penal Code doesn't make any distinction as to whether teaching activities are going on or not. If it's a school building, it's off-limits.

Chas.
Last weekend I attended a Law Enforcement Appreciation dinner in Rockwall. It was held at the Rockwall High School lunchroom. Even though there would be no children there, and no teaching at all I knew that carry was prohibited, so I left the old Kimber in the car.

Funny, I was not really worried about not being armed for THAT event. :grin:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”