Question about printing or buldging in Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JLaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JLaw »

From one S&W fan to another:

It doesn't sound like you take it too lightly as long as your concealment is within reason. My main carry has evolved into a 2 1/2" S&W 19-5, worn OWB. If I put on a cover shirt that is one size too small to begin with, that's taking it too likely. However I choose my clothing one size too big. You are correct about that bulge being anything under the sun, I don't believe that the sheep will think "gun" if they see a bulge (as long as the bulge is not a clear outline of a gun or grip), they may think you're packing a canteen under your shirt but not a gun.

Why? If you're a sheep, you're in condition white...oblivious to what is going on around you. If you're a condition white sheep defense is probably the last thing on your mind until you're being attacked, so a gun on the hip (or in a coat pocket) is probably farther from your mind than being attacked, that's why I think they will not make a small bulge into anything out of the ordinary. It's all about good holsters and correctly sized clothing in my opinion. Just be smart about it and use common sense.

I wish I could remember the saying someone posted on here a while back, I should have wrote it down. Was it txinvestigator? Something to the effect of how you think 'everybody notices you but in reality no one pays the least bit of attention to you'. Sorry to the author of the saying, it was really a good quote until I killed it! Would be great to hear the actual saying again.

I have tested it, go stand in a convienence store, grocery store and just watch people. Almost nobody will even notice you are there.

Sorry, I'm long winded this morning.

JLaw

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

[quote="JI have tested it, go stand in a convienence store, grocery store and just watch people. Almost nobody will even notice you are there.[/quote]

I don't think it's a matter of noticing, I think it's a matter of processing what is noticed.

I was waiting outside a building last night for a friend who works security. I sat down in a shadowed area just outside the doors, and watched the people exit the building, acknowledge me, and turn their backs to me (within arm's reach) to use the card reader. (they're going to a swipe-in/swipe-out time recording system, but haven't put a reader on the inside of the door yet) Several had double armloads of jackets, lunchbags, etc. and fumbled for several seconds during the process. None of them knew me, and yet none seemed to think twice about turning their back on a stranger within easy attack distance, who was loitering just outside a secured area.

At 6ft and right around 200lbs, I don't think I'm *that* non-threatening. I suspect I could have been open carrying and most of them might have seen the gun, but not even thought about it at the time; they all seemed to be in that state where anything out of the ordinary would have had a long delay between seeing and doing the traditional double-take.

G36Packer

Post by G36Packer »

I took a Berretta looking BB gun to Wal*Mart to get some replacement parts and a holster for my in-laws. I had to explain to the person at the door the difference between a BB gun and a real gun. They stuck a smiley face on it and I proceeded to sporting goods with it in open veiw. No one noticed it until I talked to the sporting goods guy about what I was looking for. No one saw it on the way out either.

Same thing on the way out. If they didn't notice that they shouldn't notice a concealed handgun that is accidently printed or exposed. I still try to prevent it though.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”