Dumbest thing I heard a Doc/Surgeon say...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Dumbest thing I heard a Doc/Surgeon say...

Post by C-dub »

PUCKER wrote:C-dub, I should mention that this was during the lunch hour, and there's a hospital within eyesight of this Academy.
Okay. You got me there. It certainly could have been a doc, but most all the docs I know try not to bring it up in public to avoid a whole bunch of questions. I'm still betting on a young one, though. <45y?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

DangerJ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DangerJ »

I think there should be a scrub conceal law!!!! Hide them threads doc!!!!!

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Actually, lots of people have the misconception about the off-limits for carry in churches and hospitals. That's because lots of CHL classes still teach from the old handbooks. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't know that non-30.06 posted churches and hospitals are O.K. to carry in.

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

I would have spoken up.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Hospitals, Churches, and a few other places *used* to be statutorily off-limits to CHL...perhaps he's not up to date?
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

On the "things surgeons say" category, the surgeon who fixed my leg after my motorcycle accident was Polish (actually from Poland, not just of Polish descent). He hasn't quite grasped the concept of Political Correctness since coming to our country.

Scariest thing he told me (before my surgery): "You will have 50% chance of not having your leg when you wake up."

Most non-PC thing he told me after the surgery: "Five years ago you would have been a cripple."
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

We picked a guy in scrubs up from a car wreck once, and as we were extricating him from the car, he started in telling us what to do. The EMT that was leading the effort told him he had two choices, to shut up and let us do what we were trained to do, or he could rescue himself. He shut up.

Never did find out what he did to wear scrubs, but one of the other members of the rescue squad told me he was a dental hygenist.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

skub

Post by skub »

Dumbest thing I ever heard a doctor say - that freeze spray would be just as effective as an injection for numbing my toe just before he rammed a pair of nail nippers down the middle of my big toe and then ripped half the nail out. :grumble
Theologue at large
5th Generation Texan
CHL 05/04

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Dumbest thing I ever head a doctor say?

On my 3rd or 4th day in the hospital after back surgery, a neurosurgery resident came to remove the drain that was still in place in the wound. The primary incision was in my lower back, starting right at the top of where the Good Lord split me and going up from there; but the drain tube had been passed out to a receptacle through a secondary incision about an inch long a few inches south and to the right in my right butt cheek.

He told me two things:
  1. "When I pull the tube out, it is going to sting." He was very right about that, and I don't fault him for saying it.
  2. Him: "I have to put a couple of stitches in to close that incision."
    Me: "Are you going to numb it up a bit before you do that?"
    Him: (and this is the really dumb part) "Naaaaahhhh.... You've got so much insult going on back there that you're not even going to feel the stitches." He was so very, very wrong.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard a doctor say. May I suggest that, if a doctor ever tells you that you don't need a little lidocaine before he or she puts a couple of stitches in a 4 day old raw open wound in your butt cheek, that doctor is a stupid, stupid liar.

A couple of weeks later, when I had a follow up appointment at my neurosurgeon's office to have the stitches in my back removed, I told my doctor about what the resident had done, and I extended an offer to administer a whuppin' to that neuro resident if I ever met him again, and my doctor couldn't believe what he had done and said he would have a talk with him about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

C-dub wrote:
PUCKER wrote:C-dub, I should mention that this was during the lunch hour, and there's a hospital within eyesight of this Academy.
Okay. You got me there. It certainly could have been a doc, but most all the docs I know try not to bring it up in public to avoid a whole bunch of questions. I'm still betting on a young one, though. <45y?
He sort of looked like Dr. Oz, talked very similar to him as well (speech pattern), I'd say this guy was in the 45 and up category.

On a side note, my doc when I was in high school/college wore an aloha shirt under his lab coat, he had done mission/medical work in Hawaii for a number of years, he was a great and practical doc.

Regarding the doc at Academy:
I do wish I had said something along the lines of "take a look at the current CHL laws when you get home, church and hospital carry are only prohibited when posted with a compliant 30.06 sign."

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Dumbest thing I ever head a doctor say?

On my 3rd or 4th day in the hospital after back surgery, a neurosurgery resident came to remove the drain that was still in place in the wound. The primary incision was in my lower back, starting right at the top of where the Good Lord split me and going up from there; but the drain tube had been passed out to a receptacle through a secondary incision about an inch long a few inches south and to the right in my right butt cheek.

He told me two things:
  1. "When I pull the tube out, it is going to sting." He was very right about that, and I don't fault him for saying it.
  2. Him: "I have to put a couple of stitches in to close that incision."
    Me: "Are you going to numb it up a bit before you do that?"
    Him: (and this is the really dumb part) "Naaaaahhhh.... You've got so much insult going on back there that you're not even going to feel the stitches." He was so very, very wrong.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard a doctor say. May I suggest that, if a doctor ever tells you that you don't need a little lidocaine before he or she puts a couple of stitches in a 4 day old raw open wound in your butt cheek, that doctor is a stupid, stupid liar.

A couple of weeks later, when I had a follow up appointment at my neurosurgeon's office to have the stitches in my back removed, I told my doctor about what the resident had done, and I extended an offer to administer a whuppin' to that neuro resident if I ever met him again, and my doctor couldn't believe what he had done and said he would have a talk with him about it.
When a friend of mine was having her 2nd child, the doctor went to do the episiotomy, and told her that she didn't need anesthetic since she'd already had her epidural. She said the epidural hadn't taken effect, and she could still feel, but he didn't believe her. He was wrong. Her husband almost had to be pulled off the doc when he found out.
NRA lifetime member

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

drjoker wrote:Actually, lots of people have the misconception about the off-limits for carry in churches and hospitals. That's because lots of CHL classes still teach from the old handbooks. If it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't know that non-30.06 posted churches and hospitals are O.K. to carry in.
Unfortunately for me, my Church meets in a private school, so I am still out of luck. Maybe I need to find another church.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Fortunately for me, my church and its school have separate buildings.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

A ham handed intern trying, six or seven times unsuccessfully, to take a blood sample for a bilirubin test on my newborn son, as I slid him up the wall by his throat: "He is due for a blood test at 1600" and my reply as I throttled him cheerfully while a nurse battered my back trying to get me off him was: "It's 2200, you idiot, and if you ever touch him again I am going to do a blood test on you, all over the floor."

Did he think I didn't understand 24 hour clock, or was he just that much of an idiot?
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Matt78665

Post by Matt78665 »

The dumbest thing I have ever heard a Doc say (I am a nurse and had to unfortunately deal with the less than happy patient) "well Mr. Patient one of 3 things is going to happen......you may get better........you may get worse.......or you could stay about the same" If I saw this man walk into any room I was a patient in, I would run away very fast.

:txflag: :patriot:
"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
St. Augustine

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”