Looking for a pocket gun...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

terryg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Looking for a pocket gun...

Post by terryg »

mctowalot wrote:IIRC, the width of the baby Glock is "only" 25% greater than the Kahr. Or, the Kahr is 25% thinner, take your pick.
Sorry to go all geek on you. But the math for percents do not work that way. If the Glock is 25% wider than the Kahr - then the Kahr is 20% thinner than the Glock. Percent changes are not bidirectional. :bigear:
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Lonest4r

Post by Lonest4r »

Ouch, a 357 Sig pocket gun. You would have to find clever ways around newton's second and third laws to make that not throw second shot accuracy out the window.
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

G.A. Heath wrote:I know this is a little bit outside the box but why not find a "pocket" gun along the lines you want chambered in .40S&W. Once you have it in hand you can get a custom barrel maker to set you up with a custom barrel for the .357 Sig. With .40S&W gun and .357 Sig barrel in hand you simply swap barrels and have a .357 Sig. This will leave you with a .357sig version of what ever gun you choose, so put a few hundred rounds through it to ensure it works properly and you should be good to go.
G.A. Heath gets extra credit for creative thinking on this one.

Although it meets the interchangeable ammo criterion, I don't think it has any significant practical value over carrying a small pistol in another police service caliber (e.g. 40S&W) because the duty magazines and the ones for the pocket gun will not be interchangeable.

I don't know of any instances where someone unloaded individual cartridges from one type of magazine to stuff them into another type of magazine during a reload under combat conditions, nor do I think it would be a good survival strategy to spend that much time on this process. Simply carrying a spare magazine for the second pistol would be a much more functional solution.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Rex B »

G.A. Heath wrote:I know this is a little bit outside the box but why not find a "pocket" gun along the lines you want chambered in .40S&W. Once you have it in hand you can get a custom barrel maker to set you up with a custom barrel for the .357 Sig. With .40S&W gun and .357 Sig barrel in hand you simply swap barrels and have a .357 Sig. This will leave you with a .357sig version of what ever gun you choose, so put a few hundred rounds through it to ensure it works properly and you should be good to go.
that's a good suggestion.
Springfield EMP in .40 S&W would be a great starting point, and highest liklihood of getting a custom barrel made without breaking the bank.
Kahr PM40 is a little more compact (and DAO) but the custom barrel would be much harder to get, I suspect.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

terryg wrote:
mctowalot wrote:IIRC, the width of the baby Glock is "only" 25% greater than the Kahr. Or, the Kahr is 25% thinner, take your pick.
Sorry to go all geek on you. But the math for percents do not work that way. If the Glock is 25% wider than the Kahr - then the Kahr is 20% thinner than the Glock. Percent changes are not bidirectional. :bigear:
I see. :tiphat:

Ok then. The Kahr site indicates the PM40 is 23% slimmer than the Glock.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

mctowalot wrote:
terryg wrote:
I see. :tiphat:

Ok then. The Kahr site indicates the PM40 is 23% slimmer than the Glock.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Image[/quote]

Nothing like a photo to clear the air! :thumbs2:
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
getamap
Posts in topic: 5

Post by getamap »

Well, I know it has been forever since the original post but I've now had a Ruger LCP and a Glock 33 for a few years. I've gotta say, I really dislike the LCP. I had one of the early ones and I think the fit and finish has improved since then, so maybe i'm just bitter. As small and light as it is it can be taken anywhere, but I do not enjoy shooting it at all. I have pretty big hands so that adds to why I am not a fan. But I do not feel comfortable relying on that gun for anything besides a few last ditch shots. The Glock 33... well, it's a fatty. Obviously not in the same category as the LCP. Whether you like Glocks or not, it is nice to have essentially the same grip/controls/trigger as it's larger siblings we are all used to. I'd like to get a Sig Sauer 938, but I have some other things in line first.
-Mike

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

getamap wrote:Well, I know it has been forever since the original post but I've now had a Ruger LCP and a Glock 33 for a few years. I've gotta say, I really dislike the LCP. I had one of the early ones and I think the fit and finish has improved since then, so maybe i'm just bitter. As small and light as it is it can be taken anywhere, but I do not enjoy shooting it at all. I have pretty big hands so that adds to why I am not a fan. But I do not feel comfortable relying on that gun for anything besides a few last ditch shots. The Glock 33... well, it's a fatty. Obviously not in the same category as the LCP. Whether you like Glocks or not, it is nice to have essentially the same grip/controls/trigger as it's larger siblings we are all used to. I'd like to get a Sig Sauer 938, but I have some other things in line first.
The S&W Bodyguard .380 is a considerable step up from the LCP in terms of ergonomics and fit and finish. Its manual of arms is Glock like if you leave the thumb safety off and ignore it. They should be more affordable now too because I understand it's also available without the built in laser.

In a good pocket holster, it makes quite a nice carry gun for times when you don't want to carry a gun you'd choose if you knew you were going into a fight, but want to have something in case a fight breaks out anyway.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

KahrGuy

Post by KahrGuy »

I went from LCP to Kahr P380 (w/NS) and the difference in shooting, quality, trigger, all the stuff that matters (except price) was incredible. LOVE it and other than the caliber concerns, it actually one of my favorites to shoot and carry. I also have the Kahr PM9 w/NS and naturally, if I could only have and carry 1, I would recommend the larger caliber PM9. However, I honestly can't say I necessarily notice a huge difference in shooting accuracy between the two up to 10 yards. I'll have smiley face accuracy with both (pretty much make all holes/shots touch) :-)

Definitely save for the Kahr P380 or PM9 if you can - in place of the LCP. :tiphat:
KahrGuy
CHL January 2010

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

terryg wrote:
never mind, math brain not working this early!!!
Last edited by gljjt on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

gljjt wrote:
terryg wrote:
Or if the Kahr is 25% thinner than the Glock, the Glock is 33% wider than the Kahr. Also depend on which way you "start"!
Are you calling the Glock "fat"? "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
gljjt wrote:
terryg wrote:
Or if the Kahr is 25% thinner than the Glock, the Glock is 33% wider than the Kahr. Also depend on which way you "start"!
Are you calling the Glock "fat"? "rlol"

I love the Glock. And it is fat. In fact, my autocorrect changes Glock to Block. Even the autocorrect knows the Glock is fat!!! I do carry a G26 and really like it. I was not familiar with the Rorbaugh, but looking at the website, I like what I see. Except the price. It is about 1/3 of an inch thinner than the " Block". If it wasn't a $1200 gun, I would look more closely, but my wish list has a lot of things on it already, all less thana grand+. !!!!!

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Rohrbaugh vs G26

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los ... ER3D-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rohrbaugh vs LCP

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los ... ER3D-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Selina Kyle

Post by Selina Kyle »

getamap wrote:Well, I know it has been forever since the original post but I've now had a Ruger LCP and a Glock 33 for a few years. I've gotta say, I really dislike the LCP. I had one of the early ones and I think the fit and finish has improved since then, so maybe i'm just bitter. As small and light as it is it can be taken anywhere, but I do not enjoy shooting it at all. I have pretty big hands so that adds to why I am not a fan. But I do not feel comfortable relying on that gun for anything besides a few last ditch shots. The Glock 33... well, it's a fatty. Obviously not in the same category as the LCP. Whether you like Glocks or not, it is nice to have essentially the same grip/controls/trigger as it's larger siblings we are all used to. I'd like to get a Sig Sauer 938, but I have some other things in line first.
My CCW is an LCP, and hubs hates shooting for the same reason that you do. I can't shoot it for long, but I do like it because I have tiny hands, so it's a nice fit. I'm with you in the Sig 938, though. That's on my wish list. They have the Nitron Slite model at Grab A Gun for $599, which is considerably less than the Nightmare at $732.

http://grabagun.com/sig-sauer-p938-9mm- ... -ambi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've purchased a couple guns from them and got incredible deals!! Plus, if you're local (they are in Coppell), you can pick up in person. I think you mentioned you work in Irving, so it sounds like that's doable. Please forgive me if you already know all this! Just wanted to share the cool deal I found. :cheers2:
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”