Shots fired at UT Campus...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bart
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shots fired at UT Campus...

Post by Bart »

Monker10 wrote:I am curious to find out if it was actually an ak-47
http://blog.robballen.com/2009/09/08/p3 ... lpful.post" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

maxlib

Post by maxlib »

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=7696887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Breaking news.

Good and bad here.
“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful”. Count Greffi, A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemmingway

A-R
Posts in topic: 7

Post by A-R »

maxlib wrote:http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=7696887

Breaking news.

Good and bad here.
I'm confused, what is the "breaking news" in this link?

NuevoJuanSeguin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NuevoJuanSeguin »

So, he was a good kid until he went to UT-A. I am not making light of this, however, I am wondering what the catalyst may have been for this sad kid to stroll onto campus in the manner that he did and then murder himself in such a violent way.

Lesson? Don't send your kids to UT-A?

Just saying...

I eagerly await more information concerning this lad's motive(s).

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

NuevoJuanSeguin wrote:I eagerly await more information concerning this lad's motive(s).
College students commit suicide for many reasons. We may never know in this case.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

A-R

Post by A-R »

Ugh ... this doesn't sound good. Time to blame the guns for causing this young man's suicide :roll: :???: :skep:

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... -policy-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Class assignments written by Tooley and obtained by The Daily Texan show a fascination with the debate over gun control policy in the U.S.

In Fall 2009, his first semester at UT, Tooley wrote a proposal for a research paper in an introductory rhetoric course that said arguments between his parents over the issue only piqued his interest in the firearm debate.

“I’ve grown up in a household where my mother is absolutely appalled by guns, and my dad grew up with them out in rural Oklahoma and sees them as an extraordinary part of life,” Tooley wrote in the proposal.

The assignment required students to present an idea about a controversial, contemporary issue, and Tooley said he was most interested in researching public perception of gun control in the U.S. over the last 20 years, especially after the Columbine and Virginia Tech shootings. Tooley said he had read several books on the subject and watched films, including Michael Moore’s “Bowling for Columbine.”

“I have also been to a few gun shows and learned what the people behind the counters, selling AR-15’s, Kalashnikovs, Berettas, etc. have to say on the issue, both by talking to them and by reading their T-shirts,” he wrote. He said in addition to news articles, he could use material distributed by the NRA at the next gun show he attended.

Also find it interesting that John Woods, the former Virginia Tech and current UT student who's girlfriend was killed in the 2007 tragedy and is now adamantly opposed to campus carry, is spinning this latest UT shooting as a suicide and not a "shooting". (see link to his letter to editor below). I don't disagree with him at all that this was a public suicide, and not in the same classification as the Virginia Tech massacre or the 1963 UT Tower shooting. Apparently the gunman never aimed at other students, just fired randomly before killing himself. But I disagree that this fact in any way reduces the necessity of arming college students who are mature enough and old enough to qualify for CHLs. Woods is right, college can be a difficult time and students sometimes do go off the deep end. All the more reason for others on campus (students AND faculty/staff), to be armed to protect themselves against someone who has "lost it." The fact that some students may use guns to commit suicide - tragic as that is - is not reason enough to deny others on campus their RKBA rights. There are plenty of ways to kill yourself. Taking away one of those ways isn't going to stop suicides - early intervention, counseling, and the love and support of friends and family are more important and more effective.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... usions-put" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dicion
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dicion »

austinrealtor wrote:
Also find it interesting that John Woods, the former Virginia Tech and current UT student who's girlfriend was killed in the 2007 tragedy and is now adamantly opposed to campus carry, is spinning this latest UT shooting as a suicide and not a "shooting".
But.. Wait.. I thought he said that Allowing Guns on Campus would make it easier for students to kill themselves with guns, and since they aren't allowed right now, that it prevents it?

I think this suicide, by gun, on a campus where they're not allowed, sort of blows a hole in his own theory.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Post by RPB »

dicion wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:
Also find it interesting that John Woods, the former Virginia Tech and current UT student who's girlfriend was killed in the 2007 tragedy and is now adamantly opposed to campus carry, is spinning this latest UT shooting as a suicide and not a "shooting".
But.. Wait.. I thought he said that Allowing Guns on Campus would make it easier for students to kill themselves with guns, and since they aren't allowed right now, that it prevents it?

I think this suicide, by gun, on a campus where they're not allowed, sort of blows a hole in his own theory.
There you go .... that proves there aren't "enough signs" prohibiting it...

The ONLY difference between UT and Luby's, "suicides" (shootings), was that the UT guy didn't desire to hurt others. The police arrived quickly and set up perimeters at both. Both suicide victims took guns where they shouldn't have, where citizens weren't allowed to protect themselves.

http://www.worst-killers.com/Killers/Wo ... illers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"An acquaintance of Hennard's revealed that he had discussed suicide on several occasions prior to 1984"

Oh, another difference is that at Luby's, no one sent text messages to the 24 people who died and the other 20 injured before the guy shot himself and the police "had it under control." Like that Virginia Slims cigarette commercial used to say "We've come a long way, baby" (We can text now)

John Woods needs to be locked in a room with Dr. Suzanna Hupp for a couple days while she describes her personal experience day at Luby's compared to John "being told by a friend who survived at Virgina Tech"
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

NuevoJuanSeguin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NuevoJuanSeguin »

Still, having a fascination over the gun control debate is a pretty weak motive to commit violent suicide or to carry where it was illegal to do so. Obviously, Tooley knew that to do so was illegal, however, that did not stop him from walking onto campus with a rifle and then turning it on himself for his final exit.

Apparently, and thus far (and putting on my network troubleshooter's cap and with what little knowledge we have on this matter to date), sophomore year at UT Austin can be a fatal experience. It certainly was for Tooley.

You know, on reflecting on this awhile and after reading a few more articles on the subject, I have come to believe that something about this whole affair just does not make sense. Reports of a second gunman (ruled out), the perpetrator wore a ski mask and a dark suit, a UT spokesman identified the suspect and not the police, the kid appeared to support gun ownership, he lived with his mother who ran a day care from her home and he was an only child. Something is very odd about this.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

austinrealtor wrote:Also find it interesting that John Woods, the former Virginia Tech and current UT student who's girlfriend was killed in the 2007 tragedy and is now adamantly opposed to campus carry, is spinning this latest UT shooting as a suicide and not a "shooting". (see link to his letter to editor below). I don't disagree with him at all that this was a public suicide, and not in the same classification as the Virginia Tech massacre or the 1963 UT Tower shooting. Apparently the gunman never aimed at other students, just fired randomly before killing himself. But I disagree that this fact in any way reduces the necessity of arming college students who are mature enough and old enough to qualify for CHLs. Woods is right, college can be a difficult time and students sometimes do go off the deep end. All the more reason for others on campus (students AND faculty/staff), to be armed to protect themselves against someone who has "lost it." The fact that some students may use guns to commit suicide - tragic as that is - is not reason enough to deny others on campus their RKBA rights. There are plenty of ways to kill yourself. Taking away one of those ways isn't going to stop suicides - early intervention, counseling, and the love and support of friends and family are more important and more effective.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/content ... usions-put" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Woods' letter is an interesting spin, but I really liked the letter right below it. Jeff Shi, the president of UT's Students for Concealed Carry on Campus wrote a really well written letter. The first half is comments about some professor's column, but the second half is really well done. It urges people to look at both sides of the debate very carefully for the facts. Go to an SCCC meeting AND a Students for for Gun-free Schools meeting. Tells them to look at unbiased sources like DPS and the FBI. The only problem with it is the use of logic against the other side's emotional appeal is generally unsuccessful, though I prefer it.
Steve Rothstein

A-R

Post by A-R »

Some new details from yesterday:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/stu ... 73038.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surveillance video released. Doesn't show much, accept that he waves "hi" at the library security guard desk as he runs by with an AK-47 :eek6

The gun was a gift from his father. :sad: Can't even begin to comprehend the family's mental anguish.

Police are basically verifying what has been understood/suspected for some time now - he never fired toward anyone else (other than himself).

No motives or anything else to try to help explain why this happened (and probably never will be).

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”