CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 8

Re: CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

Post by Kevinf2349 »

No. What I am saying is that you along with everybody else is entitled to give your opinion, but if those opinions upset you or cause you any discomfort then the you always have other options.

I have never been in the position of an LEO, but I have been in the postion of carrying firearms while shopping, consequently I am following the shooting death of Mr Scott with a great deal of interest as it has implications and considerations to me as a CHL holder. I believe that (from what I read both on this website and at many other news sites) the LVMPD is closing ranks. The evidence, to me at least, does not seem to be adding up to how Officer Mosher would have the inquest believe. I for one am not seeking revenge, just hoping for justice. :tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

snorri
Posts in topic: 1

Post by snorri »

I think if the video showed Scott doing anything wrong, it would have been on the evening news that day.
The next day at the latest.
minatur innocentibus qui parcit nocentibus

RED FLAG LAWS ARE HATE CRIMES

davidtx
Posts in topic: 11

Post by davidtx »

Terlingueno wrote: I don't recall seeing any posts from a Texas Peace Officer
how about putting yourselves in the Metro officers shoes
I believe I've seen posts from three and possibly four current or former LEO's in this thread.

chartreuse
Posts in topic: 12

Post by chartreuse »

Keith B wrote:And, keep this civil without in-fighting or the thread will be locked. Discussion is fine, but everyone needs to keep open minded on all sides of this. None of us were there, and as much as it stinks, theories are just that until the evidence is put in front of everyone. Until that time, opinions are just that.
As outraged as I am, it seems to me that this is about the size of it.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 119

Post by baldeagle »

Terlingueno wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
Terlingueno wrote:I am seeing a lot of:

armchair theorists
non witnessess
people who aren't LEO
conspiracy theorists
blather
chest thumping

in this thread...
Meaning what? Exactly?
That most of the posts here are exactly like what I said.
I don't recall seeing any posts from a Texas Peace Officer
how about putting yourselves in the Metro officers shoes
That's a bit difficult to do, never having been in a shooting incident. However, I have been following the inquest closely (I'm listening to it as I write this), and I believe the officers involved made very poor tactical decisions that unnecessarily cost a man his life. I believe I've already posted my thoughts on that in this thread, so I don't see the need to repeat it.

Edited to add: I don't know who all the LEOs (active, retired or military) on the forum are, but Excalibur is a highly respected (at least by me) retired LEO, and he has commented several times in this thread. So has Pete Camp, who is an active duty LEO.
Last edited by baldeagle on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

ddurkof
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ddurkof »

Some observations:

1. All tactical situations can be handled differently.
2. In all shootings someone did something wrong.
3. People who are on drugs don't always react as we would like.
4. Cover ups are harder to do than most people think.
5. Five people viewing the same thing will have five different versions.
6. When the excrement hits the rotating oscillator all plans go to out the window.
7. Should of, could of, would of is all great when you are not one making the making the decision in 500 milliseconds when #6 happens.
8. All crime scenes get contaminated, the more people on the scene increase the contamination exponentially.

This is a very sad situation.

TXlaw1
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TXlaw1 »

baldeagle wrote:I don't know who all the LEOs (active, retired or military) on the forum, but Excalibur is a highly respected (at least by me) retired LEO, and he has commented several times in this thread. So has Pete Camp, who is an active duty LEO.
I posted earlier in this thread. I retired after 25 years as a LEO but, thank God, never had a shooting incident. However 25 years of range and situation training - and reading the snippets of testimony and comments by contributors who've had the time to watch the testimony - leads me to believe this was a bad shooting by officers who were too quick on the trigger. Seems Mosher may have fired after 2 seconds - thinking he waited 30 seconds - with the two other officers shooting reactively because he shot first - although they probably did not see a threat from Scott justifying shooting, just heard Mosher's shots.

Also, it seems the Scott family attorney is advising them well to wait for the proper forum to offer testimony from witnesses that would help Erik's case because the deck is stacked against them in this inquest - it not being designed to be a full civil trial and has severe limitations of their ability to examine witnesses.

Just my two cents at this point in the unfolding events. I'll continue to watch developments and I appreciate the reasonable and well-stated posts of others. Thanks to all who are keeping us all posted on this story that is important to all CHLs.
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Having reread some of my posts, I want to be very clear about my thinking. Erik Scott would be alive today if he had simply followed the officer's orders. He made a terrible mistake by attempting to surrender his weapon to the officer, and he paid with his life. I believe Erik was offended that he was being challenged by the officers (based on testimony) and irked that his 2A rights were being questioned. Similar sentiments have been expressed here by members of this forum. The one takeaway I devoutly pray that we all get from this horrible incident is that when LEOs challenge you, obey immediately, without arguing and without questioning and never touch your weapon under any circumstances. Even if you have to swallow giant chunks of pride and belief, shut up and obey immediately. There will be plenty of time later to sort out who was right and who was wrong and to file complaints if you feel your rights were violated. If you do not obey immediately and without resistance, you may never get the chance to complain about your rights.

I believe this was a bad shoot. I believe Officer Mosher is a bad cop who should be dismissed from the force and never allowed to serve in law enforcement anywhere again. I believe the two rookies who fired made a terrible mistake initiated by adrenaline and possibly fear but precipitated by Mosher's abysmal lack of judgment. He was the senior officer. He is responsible for the outcome. He should be and needs to be held accountable. I'm unsure whether criminal charges should be brought against him, but I'm leaning toward the opinion that they should be. I think manslaughter is an appropriate charge. I hope and pray the inquest jury rules the shooting, at a minimum, as excusable but wish they would rule it criminal. Given the outcome of all previous inquests, I don't hold out much hope of that. I fear the verdict will be justified. That would be a travesty.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Beiruty »

One has to ask, did Erik commit a felony in the store so 911 was summoned? was it a misdonomener? or no crime at all? He was evacuated like everyone else where was the threat that drawn guns were needed? Least to say there was poor response to this incident. Such scenarios should have been studied, trained for, etc.. I do not hold hope for anything more than justifiable.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Excaliber »

baldeagle wrote:Having reread some of my posts, I want to be very clear about my thinking. Erik Scott would be alive today if he had simply followed the officer's orders. He made a terrible mistake by attempting to surrender his weapon to the officer, and he paid with his life. I believe Erik was offended that he was being challenged by the officers (based on testimony) and irked that his 2A rights were being questioned. Similar sentiments have been expressed here by members of this forum. The one takeaway I devoutly pray that we all get from this horrible incident is that when LEOs challenge you, obey immediately, without arguing and without questioning and never touch your weapon under any circumstances. Even if you have to swallow giant chunks of pride and belief, shut up and obey immediately. There will be plenty of time later to sort out who was right and who was wrong and to file complaints if you feel your rights were violated. If you do not obey immediately and without resistance, you may never get the chance to complain about your rights.

I believe this was a bad shoot. I believe Officer Mosher is a bad cop who should be dismissed from the force and never allowed to serve in law enforcement anywhere again. I believe the two rookies who fired made a terrible mistake initiated by adrenaline and possibly fear but precipitated by Mosher's abysmal lack of judgment. He was the senior officer. He is responsible for the outcome. He should be and needs to be held accountable. I'm unsure whether criminal charges should be brought against him, but I'm leaning toward the opinion that they should be. I think manslaughter is an appropriate charge. I hope and pray the inquest jury rules the shooting, at a minimum, as excusable but wish they would rule it criminal. Given the outcome of all previous inquests, I don't hold out much hope of that. I fear the verdict will be justified. That would be a travesty.
As further information comes out, the list of likely scenarios gets refined as is normally the case. From the testimony so far, it appears that Erik attempted to follow the first part of the guideline above when he was told to "Drop it". Since the gun wasn't in his hand, the only way to comply was to retrieve it from his waistband. He hadn't considered the second part, which in that instance was contradictory. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of our Forum members hadn't given thought to this circumstance prior to the Las Vegas tragedy either.

As I pointed out in one of my earliest posts on this thread, the tactical management of the situation by the responding officers was absolutely atrocious, needlessly exposed everyone involved to extreme danger, and the fact that it produced a tragic result is not surprising. The only part I do find surprising is that with so many people so nearby no one else was hurt by the police gunfire.

As is true with vehicle wrecks, aircraft crashes, and industrial catastrophes (think BP oil rig blowout), a competent investigation always reveals that the event occurred as it did not due to a single factor or error, but at the end of a cascading stream of issues like bad training, equipment failures, misinformation or misinterpretation of good information, bad judgment, etc. I expect that when the final truth comes out (and I think it will because Erik's father will push it as long as he is alive) we will find incompetence and poor judgment on the part of Costco employees, incompetence, poor judgment, poor training or poor retention of training, and the eagerness to take a life I have discussed in other threads on the police side, and a lack of knowledge of how to manage a confrontation with badly performing police as well as possible impairment of judgment from pain medication on Erik's side were all contributing factors.

There may be others as well. Only time, evidence, and testimony will tell.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 59

Post by philip964 »

Excaliber wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Having reread some of my posts, I want to be very clear about my thinking. Erik Scott would be alive today if he had simply followed the officer's orders. He made a terrible mistake by attempting to surrender his weapon to the officer, and he paid with his life. I believe Erik was offended that he was being challenged by the officers (based on testimony) and irked that his 2A rights were being questioned. Similar sentiments have been expressed here by members of this forum. The one takeaway I devoutly pray that we all get from this horrible incident is that when LEOs challenge you, obey immediately, without arguing and without questioning and never touch your weapon under any circumstances. Even if you have to swallow giant chunks of pride and belief, shut up and obey immediately. There will be plenty of time later to sort out who was right and who was wrong and to file complaints if you feel your rights were violated. If you do not obey immediately and without resistance, you may never get the chance to complain about your rights.

As further information comes out, the list of likely scenarios gets refined as is normally the case. From the testimony so far, it appears that Erik attempted to follow the first part of the guideline above when he was told to "Drop it". Since the gun wasn't in his hand, the only way to comply was to retrieve it from his waistband. He hadn't considered the second part, which in that instance was contradictory. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of our Forum members hadn't given thought to this circumstance prior to the Las Vegas tragedy either.

As I pointed out in one of my earliest posts on this thread, the tactical management of the situation by the responding officers was absolutely atrocious, needlessly exposed everyone involved to extreme danger, and the fact that it produced a tragic result is not surprising. The only part I do find surprising is that with so many people so nearby no one else was hurt by the police gunfire.

As is true with vehicle wrecks, aircraft crashes, and industrial catastrophes (think BP oil rig blowout), a competent investigation always reveals that the event occurred as it did not due to a single factor or error, but at the end of a cascading stream of issues like bad training, equipment failures, misinformation or misinterpretation of good information, bad judgment, etc. I expect that when the final truth comes out (and I think it will because Erik's father will push it as long as he is alive) we will find incompetence and poor judgment on the part of Costco employees, incompetence, poor judgment, poor training or poor retention of training, and the eagerness to take a life I have discussed in other threads on the police side, and a lack of knowledge of how to manage a confrontation with badly performing police as well as possible impairment of judgment from pain medication on Erik's side were all contributing factors.

Well said.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Excaliber wrote:I expect that when the final truth comes out (and I think it will because Erik's father will push it as long as he is alive) we will find incompetence and poor judgment on the part of Costco employees, incompetence, poor judgment, poor training or poor retention of training, and the eagerness to take a life I have discussed in other threads on the police side, and a lack of knowledge of how to manage a confrontation with badly performing police as well as possible impairment of judgment from pain medication on Erik's side were all contributing factors.

I think you have succinctly summed up the testimony to date.

The most damning testimony to Officer Mosher's side of the story was the elderly bearded gentleman who was standing directly to Mosher's left, close enough to touch him, behind his wheelchair-bound significant other. HIs description of the way Erik presented his weapon leaves no doubt in my mind that Mosher had to have seen the same thing; four fingers on the outside of the holster, therefore impossible to fire. Yes, Mosher had to process that information instantly to become aware that Erik was not a threat, but if the elderly man did it, why didn't Mosher? I believe it was because Mosher had already made the decision to fire at the slightest sign of movement on Erik's part.

When Mosher changed his testimony from "he drew his weapon" to "his weapon was in the holster", he as much as admitted that he saw exactly what that elderly man saw. That makes his decision to fire appear premeditated to me - something along the lines of "if he so much as goes for his gun, I'm firing". Despite all the tragic errors that preceded that act, Erik would still be alive today if Mosher had responded to what he was seeing rather than what he had already envisioned in his mind.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Evidently Costco's policy regarding the carrying of firearms is company wide. I'm not sure how that applies in Texas, where a 30:06 sign is required to forbid carrying.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 59

Post by philip964 »

In case you would like to vote on whether the shooting was justified, excusable or criminal. You have a chance.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its on the right side near the top, you don't need to join or anything pretty easy, they give you the results after you cast your vote.

Return to “Never Again!!”