Customer Outs Himself

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 9

Customer Outs Himself

Post by randomoutburst »

As many of you probably know, I work at Chili's. Tonight I was walking through our bar area to pick up a margarita for my table when a guy at the bar stood up and shouted across the bar at a guy who I assume is a friend.

He shouted, "Hey ____! You got your gun? I got mine!" while patting his side.
My eyes bugged out because...why is the heck would you do something like that? A crowded restaurant is no place to shout something like that (mostly because there's too many sheeple) and the way I see it, concealed means concealed.

The friend shushed him and motioned for him to sit back down. Then I looked at the guy who shouted, and saw that he had been drinking a beer - and it probably wasn't his first. (For those interested, the friend wasn't drinking.)

The bartender and I talk guns often, and I suspect he has a CHL. He snapped at the guy, "Bud, I wouldn't go around advertising that. And you'd better hope you don't have one, 'cause that's illegal."

"No it ain't, I --"

"It is if you've been drinking. You'd better settle down."

The guy hushed up and left shortly afterwards.

If this guy did, in fact, have his CHL, it saddens me to see someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care about the laws concerning it. What's that saying? With great power comes great responsibility. If you choose to carry a gun, it's your responsibility to do it safely and legally.

I know some may suggest that a proper course of action would have been to distract and detain the guy while waiting for the police. I acknowledge that this could have been a viable alternative, but considering the situation, it would have likely ended with the guy leaving before the police could arrive anyway. I can only hope he's wiser and perhaps scared into following the law. But, sadly, probably not.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Customer Outs Himself

Post by Beiruty »

Most likely the newbe CHLer thought having a beer or 2 while carrying is no crime. He may assumed wrongly only intoxicated while carrying is a crime. It was good the BT warned him and he should had asked him to leave.
Last edited by Beiruty on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 9

Post by randomoutburst »

Beiruty wrote:Most likely the newbe CHLer thought having a beer or 2 while carrying is no crime. He may assumed wrongly on intoxicated while carrying is a crime. It was good the BT warned him and he should had asked him to leave.
Employees can't ask a customer to leave - a manager has to do it. It's stupid, but it's liability or some bull like that. It was a guy who looked to be in his late 40s/early 50s, so I'd like to think that he'd know better...but I know that that's just wishful thinking.

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BrianSW99 »

I don't think you can say that 1 or 2 beers would definitely be illegal. Since the definition of intoxicated is left vague, I think it ultimately would depend on the demeanor of the person with the officer and whether they "act" intoxicated or give the officer reason to suspect they are.

I know drinking and carrying is a controversial subject around here, but the rule I personally follow is, if I'm ok to drive, I'm ok to carry. I rarely have a drink at restaurants to begin with, but when I do I typically limit myself to one unless we're there for an extended period of time.

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

I made up my mind that the best cut off number is 0. I haven't had a drink anywhere but my house since I got my CHL. Wasn't a problem for me because I never was much of a drinker anyway and I never felt comfortable driving if I had anything to drink. I know if I ever have to use that gun there will be too many challenges for my little brain already without throwing alcohol into it. I know people that just don't have that little thing in their head that tells them when enough is enough and they motivate me not to be like them.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

:iagree: You are a wise man. :tiphat:
I wonder if his CHL was one of those advertised as real easy with little classroom and no qualifying? (cough, Utah). If you are going to carry in Texas, please take the time to learn all the laws no matter how short you wanted your class time to be to get a license. Ignorance of the laws reflects unfavorably on every one of us.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

cbucher

Post by cbucher »

0 has always been my magic number as well. I would rather not give up my protection for a few drinks.
If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. – The Dalai Lama

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPB »

glbedd53 wrote:I made up my mind that the best cut off number is 0. I know if I ever have to use that gun there will be too many challenges for my little brain already without throwing alcohol into it. .
:iagree:

And the Grand Jury and following trials would be sure to hear testimony on what effects even a little bit of alcohol have on reflexes and judgment .... Like the commercials ... "Buzzed driving = drunk driving"
Just not a situation to be in.
I wouldn't want to have to prove "justification" under impaired judgment.... even a little bit.
That's just asking for both a criminal and civil trial.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

terryg

Post by terryg »

Plus, drinking or not, he and his friend should not have been at the bar area.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

terryg wrote:Plus, drinking or not, he and his friend should not have been at the bar area.
Why not? At a place like Chili's, the bar is not considered separately for the 51% rule.

Brian

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

BrianSW99 wrote:I don't think you can say that 1 or 2 beers would definitely be illegal. Since the definition of intoxicated is left vague, I think it ultimately would depend on the demeanor of the person with the officer and whether they "act" intoxicated or give the officer reason to suspect they are.
I think that shouting out in a crowded restaurant bar that "I have my gun!" is probably evidence enough of intoxication.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

Crossfire wrote:
BrianSW99 wrote:I don't think you can say that 1 or 2 beers would definitely be illegal. Since the definition of intoxicated is left vague, I think it ultimately would depend on the demeanor of the person with the officer and whether they "act" intoxicated or give the officer reason to suspect they are.
I think that shouting out in a crowded restaurant bar that "I have my gun!" is probably evidence enough of intoxication.
Crossfire beat me to the fact that the subject's actions alone constituted prima facie evidence that his judgment was severely impaired - unless, of course, he is that much of a moron all the time.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I agree, the guy at the bar sounds like he was either intoxicated or a total moron.

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

glbedd53 wrote:I made up my mind that the best cut off number is 0. I haven't had a drink anywhere but my house since I got my CHL. Wasn't a problem for me because I never was much of a drinker anyway and I never felt comfortable driving if I had anything to drink. I know if I ever have to use that gun there will be too many challenges for my little brain already without throwing alcohol into it. I know people that just don't have that little thing in their head that tells them when enough is enough and they motivate me not to be like them.
:iagree: 100%.
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

Yes, well said! If I had been in there I would have dialed 911 immediately and reported what was said by the 'intoxicated' patron. Guns and alcohol are a most toxic mix. I don't want to be around such behavior even for a minute. I value my CHL and expect others to honor them too.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”