.40 cal Budget Question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Munk
Posts in topic: 3

.40 cal Budget Question

Post by Munk »

My Father in Law is planning on purchasing his first carry weapon. While I do have him talked into a .40 cal (or greater) he is still on a budget. He doesn't want to spend more than $480.00. I know there are plenty of choices that fall into that category but I'd be interested in hearing what some of your thoughts are and why. He has looked at the Taurus Slim and likes the way it feels but hasn't shot it yet and I have no history with Taurus. What about the Millenium Pro in .45?

Any help in helping me help him help himself would be great! :lol::
III%

esxmarkc
Posts in topic: 1

Re: .40 cal Budget Question

Post by esxmarkc »

If you shop around you can get a Glock 23 for $479. A premium weapon for that price IMHO. I paid exactly this 1 week ago. Shop around your neck of the woods for that kind of deal. If you need the exact place where it can be had in north Houston at that price PM me.

Mark C.
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

The Stoeger Cougar has the best grip of any gun I own. Stoeger Industries is a subsidiary of Beretta. The Stoeger Cougars are made in Turkey using the same machinery that Beretta used to make the original Cougars. It is every bit the quality of the Beretta. The Cougar is a great gun for the money.

:txflag:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You can also get a RIA 1911 Tactical for $450.00 or less. The .40 S&W cartridge is a fine round with a good reputation, but some shooters (myself included) have had difficulty adapting to its characteristics. You get fewer rounds with a .45, but they are softer shooting and hit pretty much as hard, and it is hard to argue with its track record.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

Mmmmmmm, 1911. I love me some 1911.

You can also can go to Citadel 1911. They have a compact for around the same price.

Never shot one, but heard they were equivalent to Rock Island (RA)
We don't need no stinking badges!

A-R

Post by A-R »

Cop trade in Glock 22 at GT Distributors in Austin for $285 + tax
(also if you check in with them regularly, they often get Glock 23 trade-ins for aboout $300-$325

two boxes (40 rounds) of Winchester Bonded PDX ammo from Wal Mart ~ $20 each
then as many 50-round boxes of Federal FMJ at $13.47 each as he can afford

texaspyro21

Post by texaspyro21 »

Look around online and you can find new M&Ps for 450-475

frplf

Post by frplf »

About a month ago I bought a new XD40 Sub compact at erwin Pawn in Amarillo. Great Gun.
Pat
Amarillo
Luke 22:36

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

You can get a Sig Pro 2022 for a bit less than that and have a very reliable gun that will last a lifetime.....
Salty1

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

For about $25 more he can order an M&P 40 from Bud's Gun Shop. Buds also has S&W Sigma and SD pistols for under $400. Prices include shipping to your local FFL.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Weg

Post by Weg »

I carry a taurus PT140, it was defective out of the box ( mag fell out after every shot) After a new mag. catch it has had 2,000 rds. through it with no malfunctions, not sure I would recommend it, but I have come to like it. I would try to get a used glock.

Topic author
Munk
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Munk »

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have any experience with the Millenium Pro .45?
III%

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Annoyed Man wrote:You can also get a RIA 1911 Tactical for $450.00 or less. The .40 S&W cartridge is a fine round with a good reputation, but some shooters (myself included) have had difficulty adapting to its characteristics. You get fewer rounds with a .45, but they are softer shooting and hit pretty much as hard, and it is hard to argue with its track record.
After shooting TAM's .45 a few weeks back I totally agree. I was also thinking about an experienced person's hands and bones. The .45 might be a better choice. The .40 does get a bit snappy.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RiverCity.45

Post by RiverCity.45 »

Munk wrote:Thanks everyone. Does anyone have any experience with the Millenium Pro .45?
I had one. I had endless feed problems. Sold it and now am pleased with my M&Ps. Your mileage may vary. If you want to get some perspective from folks who know the Taurus brand, check out their forum at http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I have a Taurus Millenium PT-111, but not the Pro. I've had more issues with that gun than any other I've owned. I've had frequent FTE's and more recently I've been having a problem with FTF's apparently caused by it striking the primer too lightly.

I'd recommend he go with something like a compact Glock, M&P, or XD. They can all be found lightly used, and sometimes new for under his $480 price.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”