Re: Trying IWB carry

Post by Abraham »

AndyC,

Well said.

SpringerFan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SpringerFan »

I carry IWB probably 90% (even with the LCP), and it does take some getting used to. As others have said, a good belt and holster combo make it much more comfortable. Some folks go up a pant size also. As far as a slow draw, just requires some practice to become quicker on the draw. Biggest advantage of IWB carry is better concealment.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

terryg

Post by terryg »

Abraham wrote:Doesn't IWB preclude fast access?

Don't you have to grab your cover garment (whatever it may be) and then pull it out of your waistband and over your carry piece so you may then access it?

If I've explained it accurately, carrying in a fanny pack is about the equivalent in speedy access, ah, alright, not so speedy access...

I sometimes carry in a fanny pack that doesn't look like a typical design, in fact, it looks like it carries binoculars or some other optical or even medical gear. It's designed so if I have to access my pistol I can have it out "relatively" fast, but not nearly as fast as when it's in my OWB synthetic material holster.

So, after all this verbiage, what I would like to know is what advantage is there using IWB vs. all the other ways to carry?

Thanks!
I remember seeing, sometime ago, a CCW fanny pack that allowed for pretty quick access. I don't remember who made it or where I saw it. Basically, the gun compartment was a hidden break-away area. You pulled-it back with your weak hand and accessed the gun with your strong hand.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

bigred90gt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bigred90gt »

Abraham wrote:Doesn't IWB preclude fast access?

Don't you have to grab your cover garment (whatever it may be) and then pull it out of your waistband and over your carry piece so you may then access it?

If I've explained it accurately, carrying in a fanny pack is about the equivalent in speedy access, ah, alright, not so speedy access...

I sometimes carry in a fanny pack that doesn't look like a typical design, in fact, it looks like it carries binoculars or some other optical or even medical gear. It's designed so if I have to access my pistol I can have it out "relatively" fast, but not nearly as fast as when it's in my OWB synthetic material holster.

So, after all this verbiage, what I would like to know is what advantage is there using IWB vs. all the other ways to carry?

Thanks!
You would be quite surprised at how quickly a pistol can be retrieved from an IWB holster with a bit of practice (I know I was).

AustinMRH

Post by AustinMRH »

I'm running into problems finding a comfortable and concealed carry position with my Comp-Tac. My problem (not a real problem) is I am pretty well build, so slender at the waist, wider at the shoulders. If I carry at 2,3, or 4, there is a very noticeable bulge on my right side. I've started to carry at 5 and it conceals pretty well, but I have to change the cant a little to keep the butt of the gun against my body. a forward cant puts the butt out away from my body, tenting my shirt.

The more vertical carry works fine for walking, but it does cause some problems with car carry. But i've gotten good at holstering when I get out of the car. All of this with a pretty short Sig 239.

The biggest problem I've found is crappy pants. All my nice dress slacks have 7ish belt loops, but most of my jeans and shorts only have 5, which creates some wrinkling/sagging issues. Belt wise, Justin western belts work real well and you can run whatever buckle you want.

Been thinking about a Keltec and one of the holster undershirts.

NavAir

Post by NavAir »

Same here. Just got my plastic last month, and finally got my rig together today. I could use some advice/reassurance. I have a Minotaur MTAC IWB holster carrying a Sig P226. I am 6 feet and about 176. I tried 2 O'C which seems the best for draw, but is less comfortable, especially when seated. 3 O'C is OK for draw, and slightly better when sitting. Any further back and I have trouble reaching the grip securely enough to draw safely. I'm hoping some of the discomfort is just due to the stiff leather, but any ideas would be appreciated. I know it is a large firearm, but it is my most reliable handgun (aside from my S&W 686), but I can't concealed carry that.

loneaggie

Post by loneaggie »

I carry a full size Beretta IWB with a MTAC at about 3:30. My only "complaint" is that the bucket seats in my truck tend to push the grip into my back. Otherwise, its darn comfortable and I can wear anything in my normal wardrobe.

I have to admit with the drop in temps it was nice to throw on a OWB slide holster this morning, then throw on a light sweatshirt :)
Gig'em,
Loneaggie
Beretta PX4 9mm
S&W Sigma .40

Return to “New to CHL?”