For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 9

Favorite .223 loads

Post by NcongruNt »

Hey everyone,

I'm about 6 weeks out from finishing my AR build, and want to get ready for reloading .223. I'm looking to load mainly 55 grain bullets, but want to try the 65/68/69 grainers as a potential hunting round for whitetail and hog. My rifle will use a 16" heavy barrel with a mid-length gas system, and carbine-length buffer.

So my question is this: what are your favorite .223 powders, and why do you like them? There are so many options out there, that I'm not even sure where to start.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

MoJo
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Favorite .223 loads

Post by MoJo »

Accurate 223. It meters accurately, gives good performance, I have a lot of it.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

MoJo wrote:Accurate 223. It meters accurately, gives good performance, I have a lot of it.
I'm sure that's Accurate 2230. From what I have researched, Accurate 2230 is designed for the lighter bullets mostly - up to 60gr.
I don't have a favorite but I've had good results with BLC(2) and heard that it is closer to military powders. In my data books, it is recommended for bullets up to 80gr and down to 53gr. Sounds like what you need.
I have also heard that twist rate has a lot to do with accuracy. Lower ratios, like 1:7,1:8,1:9 do better with the heavier bullets where 1:12 is good for the lighter bullets.
I have a standard 1:9 RRA HBR and have yet to do any serious loading with the heavier bullets. The BLC(2) works well with 55gr.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Topic author
NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

O6nop wrote:
MoJo wrote:Accurate 223. It meters accurately, gives good performance, I have a lot of it.
I'm sure that's Accurate 2230. From what I have researched, Accurate 2230 is designed for the lighter bullets mostly - up to 60gr.
I don't have a favorite but I've had good results with BLC(2) and heard that it is closer to military powders. In my data books, it is recommended for bullets up to 80gr and down to 53gr. Sounds like what you need.
I have also heard that twist rate has a lot to do with accuracy. Lower ratios, like 1:7,1:8,1:9 do better with the heavier bullets where 1:12 is good for the lighter bullets.
I have a standard 1:9 RRA HBR and have yet to do any serious loading with the heavier bullets. The BLC(2) works well with 55gr.
This barrel will be also be from RRA, and will be 1:9.

According to Sierra, the 65/59 grainers need 1:7" to 1:10" twist, so the barrel should be fine for what I'm doing. I've also had 2230 recommended elsewhere. I'm not opposed to trying more than one powder, so feel free to make more than one suggestion.

It's strange, neither hornady nor sierra seem to offer anything above 60/65 grain in a soft point. Then again, lots of states do not allow the use of .223 for anything other than small game, so I can see how there would be a lack of demand. I'll have to look around to see if anyone makes one.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

Here and xxxx are a couple that might be OK

edited: incorrect info on link
Last edited by O6nop on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

O6nop wrote:
The powder I am refering to is MR 223 the older version of 2230 they use the same data. My powder was made in the USA. 2230 is made overseas, Australia I think.
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

O6nop wrote:Here and here are a couple that might be OK
Thanks.

That first one would work, though I'm trying to find something with a boat tail for better accuracy over distance. I have found lots of reports of good success with deer using that bullet in both .223 and 22-250. I may end up making some batches using both this bullet and the Sierra 65grain SBT and see how they perform at 100+ yards.

The second is .227, which is only good for the .22 Savage High Power, not .223 Remington.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The Speer 70 gr Semi-Spitzer is one of my favorite .223 cal bullets. Great accuracy and it will stabilize in a 1:9 twist. The 68 gr Sierra HPBT is the heaviest (longest) boattail that will stabilize in a 1:9 most of the time. The 70 gr Speer is only siightly longer than a 55 gr FMJBT.
George Mason

ghostrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ghostrider »

WW748 for bullets 55-70gr.
I've heard Varget works well also, but I haven't tried it yet.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Topic author
NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

ghostrider wrote:WW748 for bullets 55-70gr.
Varget is one of the powders I'm interested in. The Lyman manual lists it as the powder of their accuracy loads for 55, 69, and 75 grain bullets, so it may be the right choice to go with.

Additionally, it's also an accuracy load powder for 3 out of the 5 loads listed in the Lyman manual for 7.62x54R, which I'll eventually be loading for as well.

I've also read some good things about Ramshot TAC, especially with heavy .224 bullets. Only my Hornady and Sierra manuals list loads for it - Lee and Lyman are silent about it.

If I'm going to be loading the Speer bullet, I guess I ought to get a Speer book. None of my manuals have data for that particular bullet, so I'll have to pick up a copy this week sometime.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

jgedmond

Post by jgedmond »

NcongruNt wrote:
ghostrider wrote:WW748 for bullets 55-70gr.
Varget is one of the powders I'm interested in. The Lyman manual lists it as the powder of their accuracy loads for 55, 69, and 75 grain bullets, so it may be the right choice to go with.

Additionally, it's also an accuracy load powder for 3 out of the 5 loads listed in the Lyman manual for 7.62x54R, which I'll eventually be loading for as well.

I've also read some good things about Ramshot TAC, especially with heavy .224 bullets. Only my Hornady and Sierra manuals list loads for it - Lee and Lyman are silent about it.

If I'm going to be loading the Speer bullet, I guess I ought to get a Speer book. None of my manuals have data for that particular bullet, so I'll have to pick up a copy this week sometime.
I am looking at my Speer Manual #14 and for the 70gr. Semi-Spitzer, they list 748, H414, IMR4895, H335, AA2460, AA2230, H380, VV N135, IMR4320, BL-C(2), and AA2015 in order of decreasing velocity; no TAC or Varget for 70gr. Varget is listed for 40 - 55 gr. and TAC not at all.

Speer also has the habit of listing many loads with magnum primers, but on another thread / forum that I read, someone contacted the powder manufacturer and they said they would not recommend that. :confused5

Hornady lists Varget for 52 - 75 gr loads and TAC for 40 - 60 gr. loads. I just started loading 223 using Varget and Hornady 55 gr. FMJ BT bullets. Very impressed with accuracy and consistency on first tests at the range. Starting there to compare to the M193 type commercial loads I have been shooting before branching out to other bullet weights / types.

Good luck in your quest,
Jim

NRA, TSRA, SAF Life Member, PSC Shooting Club

Topic author
NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

I just realized that I didn't check the Hodgdon load data for Varget loads. Lo and behold, they've got a load for that exact bullet using Varget powder.

Perfect!
Last edited by NcongruNt on Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

NcongruNt wrote:
O6nop wrote:Here and here are a couple that might be OK
Thanks.

That first one would work, though I'm trying to find something with a boat tail for better accuracy over distance. I have found lots of reports of good success with deer using that bullet in both .223 and 22-250. I may end up making some batches using both this bullet and the Sierra 65grain SBT and see how they perform at 100+ yards.

The second is .227, which is only good for the .22 Savage High Power, not .223 Remington.
My mistake, I edited that post so nobody accidently orders it. I know I saw them somewhere though.

ForneyRider

Post by ForneyRider »

AA2230, R15 and Varget have all done well for me with 55gr and heavier bullets in AR-15 .223.

AA2230 measures more easily for me than R15 and Varget. R15 burns cleanest of these three.
When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

JackRR

Post by JackRR »

For 69gr BTHP bullets I use varget.
For Sierra 55gr BTHP I use H335

I am still fine tuning the loads above. Later I will load test the Varget on the 55gr.

Lot of people I have talked to like Varget especially for the heavier bullets.

Return to “Reloading Forum”