Do you prove yourself when you teach?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 1

Do you prove yourself when you teach?

Post by txinvestigator »

In CHL classes I usually don't have the time or help to get on the line and fire in front of the class; however, when I teach anything else I ALWAYS shoot some. I know that as a student I like watching my instructor shoot some, it reinforces in my mind that he/she knows their stuff.

Ya'll too?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Hopefully my post is welcome here, even though I'm not an instructor.

I took some training at Frontsight last month that was quite exceptional. Our instructors shot very minimally. For me, the proof was in the logarithmic improvement my shooting took just after the first few bits of instruction. After the first half of the day, I went from being able to shoot passably to being able to make a small raggity hole at 10 meters.

After 2 days of instruction, we "graduated" by trying out everything we learned in a "shoot house" where targets would appear in a simulated real-life scenario. After just 2 days of intensive instruction, I learned how to draw, target, and fire 2 well placed shots in less than 2 seconds, then evaluating for failure to stop, and placing 1-2 more shots as necessary. Before that training, I'm not sure if I could have performed that. Now, I *KNOW* I can.

That, to me, was the proof. When I listened to these people, and I saw the marked improvement at the very beginning, I knew I was dealing with professionals that I needed to pay close attention to.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Not a CHL instructor but teach quite a few folks here in the woods where there are no NRA Cert Trainers. I do shoot & SHOW them. On many occasions when they start having trouble w/ accuracy I will shoot their gun to get them to have confidence in the firearm. "I just need some trigger time. I have an accurate gun."
I like to see those who I learn from too.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

TC-TX

Post by TC-TX »

SOMETIMES but Not usually - because of time mostly...

I also do not wish to make anyone think I am superior just because i shoot better... or that I am inferior because i may shoot worse?

I also do believe in Mr. Murphy's law... I try to stay away from things that have the potential to set me up for failure... :grin:
Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
U.S.M.C. 1978-84
Commercial Pilot
Texas CHL Instructor
Certified Flight Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
http://www.TexasArmament.com

switch

shoot to prove?

Post by switch »

I normally do not shoot.

Sometimes, I will demonstrate that you can hold the slide closed, it will NOT break your thumb and demonstrate how little recoil/how to handle recoil - I will hold the gun at arms length at a 90 degree angle to the normal grip, holding it with just my thumb on the rear of the grip, demontrating how little it will recoil (it normally only rises about 20 or 30 degrees).

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

As an NRA marksmanship instructor I did minimal shooting, but in the Navy I always fired the expected course of fire as a demo - once I even fired expert without even trying.

I attended a class a few years back, ostensiby to improve my shooting skills. The instructor shot at least as much as the students did, and after a while just appeared to be showing off.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

TC-TX wrote: I also do believe in Mr. Murphy's law... I try to stay away from things that have the potential to set me up for failure... :grin:
:iagree: That's MY philosophy!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Only when someone needs to see something that they are having a difficult time with.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Pickpocket

Re: Do you prove yourself when you teach?

Post by Pickpocket »

txinvestigator wrote:In CHL classes I usually don't have the time or help to get on the line and fire in front of the class; however, when I teach anything else I ALWAYS shoot some. I know that as a student I like watching my instructor shoot some, it reinforces in my mind that he/she knows their stuff.

Ya'll too?
I will never ask a student to do something that I have not done myself, especially when I start talking a difficult CoF. CHL is a bit different, I don't consider the CHL course the appropriate time to show people how to shoot, so no demos there.

I'm a C.A.R. Instructor and it's absolutely critical that the instructor shoot in front of the class so that they can see the system in action. We just have to be careful not to use that time to "show off" - but rather simply show the students that something they may consider difficult are achievable (or clarify something they may not be grasping 100%).

I believe that an instructor that knows he/she is going to consistently get in front of their students and shoot will fight to keep their skills dialed in. I don't mind if a student outshoots me and he/she really is that good; however if I screw up a demo or a practical application then I'm done. That's one of the things that keeps me motivated not to rest too much on my laurels.
Not all who own musical instruments are musicians.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”