1st contact while carrying

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
The_Reason
Posts in topic: 3

1st contact while carrying

Post by The_Reason »

Was involved in a car accident tonight. I was the passenger of a car that was rear-ended.

APD officer who was working the scene, after dark, on the wrong side of 35, by himself asked if I had any weapons on me. I explained I had my 1911 at my 3 o clock and I was a Texas CHL holder. He spoke into his radio then asked me to tap exactly where my weapon was located, and what it was. He then disarmed me and asked my driver to open his trunk. He cleared the weapon, and placed the chambered round next to the magazine and the gun in the corner of the trunk, then asked to see my license.

After he completed his responsibilities to both parties, he came over and asked me how long I have been carrying, andnhow I liked my ultra carry. He apologized for dis arming me, explained the location of my weapon and that he was planning on picking up his first next week.

All in all, it was a good interaction, and I don't blame him at all for dis-arming me, as he was alone, and we had pulled into a parking lot in not the best neighborhood, and were surrounded by looky-loo's. I did thank him for treating the weapon like his own, and thanked him for his service... He left the scene lights and sirens on to what sounded like a shots fired called.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1st contact while carrying

Post by E.Marquez »

Happy your satisfied with the contact..

I am, would be, disappointed, confused, alarmed, frustrated that a Leo feels the need to disarm a citizen who has proven to the state in numerous ways to be one of the good guys.. Who has specifically shown to the officer in question he intends no harm to that officer.. (BG's do not announce to the officer they plan on shooting, Hey I have a gun it's RIGHT HERE) Reality is,, it's the gun of an owner they do not know about who is not verified, certified, inspected by the state that should worry the officer.. And regardless of what reality continues to show.. We continue to see officers or maybe department policies that cause guilty until proven innocent lawful citizens to be disarmed.
Arrrrgggg, now all worked up again before going back to work,,,,LOL… Tme for an hour of PT, that will fix me for the morning.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

TXlaw1

Post by TXlaw1 »

bronco78 wrote:Happy your satisfied with the contact..

I am, would be, disappointed, confused, alarmed, frustrated that a Leo feels the need to disarm a citizen who has proven to the state in numerous ways to be one of the good guys.. Who has specifically shown to the officer in question he intends no harm to that officer.. (BG's do not announce to the officer they plan on shooting, Hey I have a gun it's RIGHT HERE) Reality is,, it's the gun of an owner they do not know about who is not verified, certified, inspected by the state that should worry the officer.. And regardless of what reality continues to show.. We continue to see officers or maybe department policies that cause guilty until proven innocent lawful citizens to be disarmed.
Arrrrgggg, now all worked up again before going back to work,,,,LOL… Tme for an hour of PT, that will fix me for the morning.
:iagree: Bronco. This LEO's action was unnecessary and potentially put the good guy in danger in a bad area with looky-loos. I wish departments would train officers that CHL's are on their side and can help them out in such a case - where the officer is all alone and could use backup if a problem arises. Sad to say the department I was with never gave us any training about interactions with CHLs. Until I retired, got my CHL and started reading this great forum, I really did not know the law re CHL and the problems some folk are having with my former colleagues. Never heard of a problem with any of my department's officers but reading about plenty here.
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

terryg

Post by terryg »

The_Reason wrote:After he completed his responsibilities to both parties, he came over and asked me how long I have been carrying, andnhow I liked my ultra carry. He apologized for dis arming me, explained the location of my weapon and that he was planning on picking up his first next week.
After he apologized, I would have taken the moment to politely ask him what his safety concerns were that prompted him to disarm you. Then, before he left, I would have asked:

"Listen, considering the area we are in, would you mind staying here with me until I can get my weapon reloaded and safely back in it's holster? I don't want to stand her on the side of the road in plain view handling my weapon from the back of the trunk and I also don't want to drive off both unarmed and with the weapon and ammunition unsecured in the trunk."

You said APD and mention 35 - was this in Alvin?

EDIT

Ohh, just re-read the immediate call afterwards -so I guess no chance for that. How did you re-arm yourself? If you had to do it from the trunk without the officer being there - I would file a complaint. He left you in an extremely vulnerable position forcing you to fail to conceal and potentially making you a target to both bad guys and to well meaning CHL holders or other LEO's.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Topic author
The_Reason

Post by The_Reason »

terryg wrote:
The_Reason wrote:After he completed his responsibilities to both parties, he came over and asked me how long I have been carrying, andnhow I liked my ultra carry. He apologized for dis arming me, explained the location of my weapon and that he was planning on picking up his first next week.
After he apologized, I would have taken the moment to politely ask him what his safety concerns were that prompted him to disarm you. Then, before he left, I would have asked:

"Listen, considering the area we are in, would you mind staying here with me until I can get my weapon reloaded and safely back in it's holster? I don't want to stand her on the side of the road in plain view handling my weapon from the back of the trunk and I also don't want to drive off both unarmed and with the weapon and ammunition unsecured in the trunk."

You said APD and mention 35 - was this in Alvin?

EDIT

Ohh, just re-read the immediate call afterwards -so I guess no chance for that. How did you re-arm yourself? If you had to do it from the trunk without the officer being there - I would file a complaint. He left you in an extremely vulnerable position forcing you to fail to conceal and potentially making you a target to both bad guys and to well meaning CHL holders or other LEO's.
Austin, and I immediately reloaded my weapon with it concealed below the edge of the trunk, then slid it into my holster.....

terryg

Post by terryg »

The_Reason wrote:Austin, and I immediately reloaded my weapon with it concealed below the edge of the trunk, then slid it into my holster.....
Oh yeah - of course it was Austin - I'm an idiot. Too early in the morning - I was only thinking of State Hwy 35 - AFAIK only Angleton and Alvin start with an A along it. Forgot all about the interstate highway running right through Austin. :oops:

So he was gone - right? That dog don't hunt. I would file a complaint for the educational benefit of it. I've read of others being disarmed with the weapon left in the car somewhere. While not much better, at least you are not rearming in plain sight. I think he left you in an extremely vulnerable position.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

So, the $64K question - if you (by "you" I mean *any* of us, who feel that it is NOT safe* to be disarmed) refuse to be disarmed and either demand that the officer state the articulable reason for disarming (and you determine that it is unreasonable) or just flat out refuse on safety grounds, what are the repercussions? I'm sure it includes arrest and such...just wanted to hear from LEOs on here and others who have maybe had such conversations with LEOs.

NOT safe*:
-LEO handling unfamiliar firearm (could cause negligent discharge, it's happened before)
-leaves CHL holder unarmed in a possibly bad area
-Re-arming will be difficult to legally do, ie - to keep it concealed

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

PUCKER wrote:So, the $64K question - if you (by "you" I mean *any* of us, who feel that it is NOT safe* to be disarmed) refuse to be disarmed and either demand that the officer state the articulable reason for disarming (and you determine that it is unreasonable) or just flat out refuse on safety grounds, what are the repercussions? I'm sure it includes arrest and such...just wanted to hear from LEOs on here and others who have maybe had such conversations with LEOs.

NOT safe*:
-LEO handling unfamiliar firearm (could cause negligent discharge, it's happened before)
The side of the road is not the appropriate place to have that conversation.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

JNMAR

Post by JNMAR »

PUCKER wrote:So, the $64K question - if you (by "you" I mean *any* of us, who feel that it is NOT safe* to be disarmed) refuse to be disarmed and either demand that the officer state the articulable reason for disarming (and you determine that it is unreasonable) or just flat out refuse on safety grounds, what are the repercussions? I'm sure it includes arrest and such...just wanted to hear from LEOs on here and others who have maybe had such conversations with LEOs.

NOT safe*:

While I've never had to deal with LEO about my refusal to disarm, I've had plenty enough other dealings with them to say that 1st they are within the law as it is written to disarm you for their perceived protection or that of others. Secondly, if they so desire, you WILL be disarmed whether you protest or not. As has been said before, your survivors may have to file the complaint for you after your funeral.

esxmarkc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by esxmarkc »

I guess I don't agree with may of the sentiments posted so far. I believe both you and the officer acted properly given the situation. Let's face it, he felt the need for you to be disarmed. Who knows why? But it sounds as if he did so in a very courteous and professional manner. And just because you say you are CHL doesn't mean you are a CHL. And given he was alone in this situation in a not-so-nice area he may felt uneasy with you digging around in your pockets for proof of CHL until you were disarmed. It sounds as though once you were disarmed and he did see your CHL he was a bit more at ease.

Let me throw a scenario out there for those agitated at the situation:

Let's take this exact scenario and you are the officer. You ask if he is armed and he responds yes. You ask to see his CHL and he puts his hand on his back pocket, freezes for a second and then proceeds to tell you "Sorry officer but it looks as if I have left my wallet at the house." Now you have an armed person standing 4 feet away with his hand near his gun that might have just had his "bluff" called. What happens next?

As for leaving you in in a hurry in a "disarmed" condition, I'd bet you could slap the mag back in and rack it before he was 50ft down the road and who cares if someone sees you do it - there's an officer 50feet away.

With all the videos and stories of LEOs acting inappropriately I'd post this one up as the appropriate way for an LEO to behave if he truly feels the need to disarm you.

Mark C.
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

Topic author
The_Reason

Post by The_Reason »

esxmarkc wrote:I guess I don't agree with may of the sentiments posted so far. I believe both you and the officer acted properly given the situation. Let's face it, he felt the need for you to be disarmed. Who knows why? But it sounds as if he did so in a very courteous and professional manner. And just because you say you are CHL doesn't mean you are a CHL. And given he was alone in this situation in a not-so-nice area he may felt uneasy with you digging around in your pockets for proof of CHL until you were disarmed. It sounds as though once you were disarmed and he did see your CHL he was a bit more at ease.

Let me throw a scenario out there for those agitated at the situation:

Let's take this exact scenario and you are the officer. You ask if he is armed and he responds yes. You ask to see his CHL and he puts his hand on his back pocket, freezes for a second and then proceeds to tell you "Sorry officer but it looks as if I have left my wallet at the house." Now you have an armed person standing 4 feet away with his hand near his gun that might have just had his "bluff" called. What happens next?

As for leaving you in in a hurry in a "disarmed" condition, I'd bet you could slap the mag back in and rack it before he was 50ft down the road and who cares if someone sees you do it - there's an officer 50feet away.

With all the videos and stories of LEOs acting inappropriately I'd post this one up as the appropriate way for an LEO to behave if he truly feels the need to disarm you.

Mark C.
Overall, I was not upset, and like you said, if I was going to be disarmed, I would prefer the way that this officer handled it. Hopefully next time he won't feel the need to disarm me.....

esxmarkc

Post by esxmarkc »

Overall, I was not upset, and like you said, if I was going to be disarmed, I would prefer the way that this officer handled it. Hopefully next time he won't feel the need to disarm me.....
Agreed. And sorry If inferred that you were upset. You certainly didn't seem so in your post. And if you do get pulled over again hopefully he's the guy!
Keeping the king of England out of your face since 12/05/2009

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

esxmarkc wrote: As for leaving you in in a hurry in a "disarmed" condition, I'd bet you could slap the mag back in and rack it before he was 50ft down the road and who cares if someone sees you do it - there's an officer 50feet away.
I bet any of the typical "Looky-Loos" who saw you chamber a round and holster that weapon, would assume you are plainsclothes LEO
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Rex B wrote:
esxmarkc wrote: As for leaving you in in a hurry in a "disarmed" condition, I'd bet you could slap the mag back in and rack it before he was 50ft down the road and who cares if someone sees you do it - there's an officer 50feet away.
I bet any of the typical "Looky-Loos" who saw you chamber a round and holster that weapon, would assume you are plainsclothes LEO
Whether they made that assumption or not, they'd be highly unlikely to mess with you before you had an opportunity to get yourself back together and leave the area.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”