Trouble Hitting The Target - GRRR!!!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

HighHandicap
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trouble Hitting The Target - GRRR!!!

Post by HighHandicap »

teds787 wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:Where are you located? I'm not an expert, but may be able to recommend one.
I live in Austin and I usually go to Red's Indoor Range (north) to practice.

I think a coach/instructor is an excellent suggestion and I like to find someone who is very good at it, but will cost me less than $100 per hour.

Ted
Check out KR Training (http://www.krtraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). They have a lot of classes that will help you and they are incredibly affordable IMO. Spend time at home dry firing and work on your trigger control. When you shoot quickly, do you take your finger off the trigger, do you let the trigger all the way out, or do you let it out just until it resets? This technique has helped me improve trigger control and increase my speed.

I used to shoot at Red's North but recently joined Austin Rifle Club.

Blinking Dog

Post by Blinking Dog »

1. Slow down
2. Make sure to clamshell/squeeze off-hand to maintain counter-pressure
3. Make sure to press trigger to rear slowly
4. Maintain sight picture, get another sight picture immediately after shot breaks
5. Keep contact with trigger (don't slap your finger on and off)

Take a class. Get instruction. Don't let ego ("I know how to shoot gosh darn") get in the way of finding someone to help you. We can all learn to become better shooters by asking for help, listening, and implementing what we've learned.

If you keep practicing with bad habits it will take you 2x longer to get it right. Unscientific fact. Something to do with muscle memory and all that...

Topic author
teds787
Posts in topic: 3

Post by teds787 »

:tiphat: Thanks to everyone for the feedback and insightful input. The general consensus is that I should get a teacher or a coach. I totally agree with that. Other suggestions where:

* keep accuracy as priority one and build speed while maintaining accuracy
* maintain site picture all the way through trigger pull then regain site picture after shot is fired
* stay focused on the current target/shot until the shot is fired, then move on to the next
* work on a smooth trigger pull - don't slap the trigger, don't jerk the trigger
* when all else fails, shoot first, then draw the circles where they need to be "rlol"

Note: some of the practice suggestions could be done using a smaller caliber pistol (.22 or maybe a high quality air pistol) to save money on ammo.

Again, thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

TedS787

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

teds787 wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:Where are you located? I'm not an expert, but may be able to recommend one.
I live in Austin and I usually go to Red's Indoor Range (north) to practice.

I think a coach/instructor is an excellent suggestion and I like to find someone who is very good at it, but will cost me less than $100 per hour.

Ted
I live out that way (I shoot at Red's north too). PM me if you want some coaching. I'm not a Tacticool operator with 100 bad-guy kills notched in my pistol, but I can probably help ya.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”