New Shhhh Toy

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Shhhh Toy

Post by The Annoyed Man »

See, I never really wanted one of those things before now... ...and then you had to go ruin it for me with that video.

Man, I could really play hobb with the squirrels in my neighborhood.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MojoTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MojoTexas »

Great video! I agree, it sounds like a pellet rifle.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

SecedeTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SecedeTX »

Ohhhh..sweet.

I gotta get me one.
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

paadams

Post by paadams »

Nice can, I've been wanting one for a while.

Did you get it using a trust? How long did it take to get it?

Topic author
texjames
Posts in topic: 9

Post by texjames »

paadams wrote:Nice can, I've been wanting one for a while.

Did you get it using a trust? How long did it take to get it?
No i went Individual Form 4 with CLEO sign off.Both our Sheirff or Chief of Police here are NFA freindly folks.
141 days mailbox to mailbox. A Form 1 for SBR (short barreled rifle) last year took 89 days.

I took it apart and cleaned the crude out today. here's what it looks like inside.
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

paadams

Post by paadams »

That's cool. Never seen the inside of one.

When I get one, I'll probably have to with a trust. I've heard Harris County isn't too friendly about NFA.

Backslider

Post by Backslider »

My first instinct would be to offset the gas ports about 60 degrees from their neighbor when I reassembled it.
If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

Topic author
texjames

Post by texjames »

Backslider wrote:My first instinct would be to offset the gas ports about 60 degrees from their neighbor when I reassembled it.
The instructions say 90 degree's spiarling them as you go.One baffle has an extra hole in it and go's in the middle position.
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

Vecco

Post by Vecco »

Very cool, can you post a link how I can get one.. what forms and what not.. :thewave

Topic author
texjames

Post by texjames »

Vecco wrote:Very cool, can you post a link how I can get one.. what forms and what not.. :thewave
Your local Class 3 /SOT will fill out your Form 4's in duplicate for you and a citizenship Form.You will have to get duplicates fingerprint cards
on FBI DD258 cards,passport photos, pay the BATFE $200 NFA tax.The Class 3 will keep your item until the paperwork with NFA stamp comes back approved, about 3-4 months.You can buy out of state and get it transfered to a local dealer also for a transfer fee.Mine was $100 but i did not have to pay sales tax.
Some guys CLEO will not sign NFA so they have to get a Trust or use a LLC.Then you don't need fingerprints or photos.
Here's what the Forms look like...
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf
I used this guy to buy mine and he transfered it to my local class 3.
http://major-malfunction.com/
another interesting website..
http://www.nfatracker.com/
and good ole AR15.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=20
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

My Dad made a silencer for a .22LR Rifle when I was a youngster so that he could dissuade a local tom-cat from violating our yard.
He took one of my Mothers foam hair-curlers and basically taped it to the muzzle. Every male in the family followed him out into the backyard in the middle of the night as he set-up his kitty-cat kill-zone.
When the round went-off, it sounded like a PHTTPT similar to the fizz-sound you get opening a can of beer. Quite effective.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

dicion

Post by dicion »

The trust route also has the added benefit of having multiple people in the trust that can have possession of the item.

If you do the individual route, you, and only you, can ever have possession of it. Other persons can only use it with you present.
It also complicates the issue of transferring it to someone in the family in the event of your demise.

IMO Everyone who has a life insurance policy should setup a trust for it, unless they actually like the idea of their beneficiary having to pay 45% estate tax on the insurance payout.
http://www.willsandprobate.com/FAQ/life-ins-trust.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Black Gold Guns and Ammo (Houston) has announced they are now a class III dealer, and they're good guys to deal with.

Topic author
texjames

Post by texjames »

dicion wrote:The trust route also has the added benefit of having multiple people in the trust that can have possession of the item.

If you do the individual route, you, and only you, can ever have possession of it. Other persons can only use it with you present.
It also complicates the issue of transferring it to someone in the family in the event of your demise.

IMO Everyone who has a life insurance policy should setup a trust for it, unless they actually like the idea of their beneficiary having to pay 45% estate tax on the insurance payout.
http://www.willsandprobate.com/FAQ/life-ins-trust.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah thats some good points.I have my guns and NFA to my best freind and lawyer in my will.
He lives in Austin.In my saftey deposit box are instructions to do a tax free Form 5 transfer to an lawful heir.
My NFA never leaves my possession.
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

MojoTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MojoTexas »

Purplehood wrote:My Dad made a silencer for a .22LR Rifle when I was a youngster so that he could dissuade a local tom-cat from violating our yard.
He took one of my Mothers foam hair-curlers and basically taped it to the muzzle. Every male in the family followed him out into the backyard in the middle of the night as he set-up his kitty-cat kill-zone.
When the round went-off, it sounded like a PHTTPT similar to the fizz-sound you get opening a can of beer. Quite effective.
Yeah from what I've heard building a DIY silencer is not difficult to do, I'm sure you've all heard the same stories that I have about using a 2L pop bottle stuffed with cotton with a perforated inner pipe and a hose clamp...effective for several shots of .22LR, with effectiveness decreasing the more you use it. Or so I've been told. ;-)

Of course it's a legal no-no unless you follow all the laws and have all the paperwork. For tom-cat removal, I'd probably just get a Gamo "Whisper" pellet rifle. Perfectly legal, powerful enough to kill a cat at backyard range, and quiet enough to not alarm the neighbors. Or get a "Havaheart" trap baited with some cat food...much simpler, and you can then turn the cat over to the local shelter or dispose of it how you see fit. ;-)

Gamo Whisper: http://www.gamousa.com/family.aspx?familyID=71
Havaheart Feral Cat Trap: http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/1099

MojoTexas :txflag:
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”