someone tried to get into my apt.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
swc007
Posts in topic: 3

someone tried to get into my apt.

Post by swc007 »

basically it was porrly a someone going door to door seein if any were unlocked...well mine was and i have a 100lbs boxer that is just as paranoid as i am...so he just went crazy barking i came out to look nothing seemed wrong...30min later i took him outside for the night and when i turned the dead bolt the door popped open without me having to turn the knob....meaning someone turned already trying to get in... i have two dead bolts on my door so hopefully it will take atleast two kicks to get in!!!! ill let the glock handle the rest :patriot: :txflag: :fire

Topic author
swc007

Re: someone tried to get into my apt.

Post by swc007 »

not a real scarey situation BUT goes to show keep your doors locked...possibly could of been a worse story if the door hadnt of been locked

lonewolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lonewolf »

I have installed much longer/stronger hinge side bolts on the front door, and a deadbolt on the door from the garage to the house. Keep it simple, keep it effective.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Locks are the best prevention, My kids thinks I am paranoid because I always yell at him for not closing and locking the doors behind him.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

cnovel

Post by cnovel »

I know everyone has a way to better secure doors,,one of the simplest is if you replace the short screws that are just in the door frame with long ones,,that will reach the actual stud next to the door frame,,most dead bolts are just in the little piece of door frame left after the hole is cut out,,,Locks are just to keep the honest people out for the most part,,unless you modify them.

BE SAFE,GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,GOD BLESS AMERICA

Bird of Prey

Post by Bird of Prey »

This reminds me of a comedian who said:
"I have 6 locks on my door but I only lock every other one. So no matter how hard they try to pick the locks, they're always locking 3!"
GO COWBOYS!!!

7/19/10 Packet mailed. (Forgot to include payment! DOH!)
7/26/10 Packet RE-mailed.
7/29/10 Packet received by DPS.
8/4/10 Online status available.
8/10/10 Finger prints complete.
8/18/10 Background check completed.
8/25/10 License: Mailed
8/28/10 LICENSE IN HAND!

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

I'm pretty sure they'd notice if they're locking or unlocking a bolt... it's a funny thought though.
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Glad to hear you are OK. Had a similar experience recently, only mine was a kick to the front door. Thank god for metal reinforced doors. Stay paranoid.... err, I mean prepared. ;-)
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

mkosmo

Post by mkosmo »

cnovel wrote:I know everyone has a way to better secure doors,,one of the simplest is if you replace the short screws that are just in the door frame with long ones,,that will reach the actual stud next to the door frame,,most dead bolts are just in the little piece of door frame left after the hole is cut out,,,Locks are just to keep the honest people out for the most part,,unless you modify them.
And get one of the longer kick-resistant plates that are longer with more screws than the typical 2-3" plate.
TX CHL since August 2009.

RIA 1911 5" with Winchester Ranger 230gr.
Bersa Thunder .380 with Corbon DPX 80gr.
Ruger LCP with Corbon DPX 80gr.

Topic author
swc007

Post by swc007 »

well i know last yr someone tried to crowbar the door down from me... lol its not that i live in a bad area its just a college town filled with idiots...BUT i just always stay prepared like everyone else on here!!! haha knowing that there are people paranoid like me makes me feel more normal now

Bennies

Post by Bennies »

I was sitting in my apartment one day and this happened to me. The door handle turned and the door tried to come open but luckily the top dead bolts where latched. This was before I was enlightened to the goodness of gun ownership so I was defenseless other thAn a kitchen knife. I looked through the peephole and saw a guy across the hall turning my neighbors door. I called the leasing office for some reason instead of the police to report the guy. Don't ask me why. I was young and dumb. The guy got away.
GOA member
NRA member
TSRA member
Glock 23 w/Crossbreed Supertuck

camlott

Post by camlott »

swc007 wrote:well i know last yr someone tried to crowbar the door down from me... lol its not that i live in a bad area its just a college town filled with idiots...BUT i just always stay prepared like everyone else on here!!! haha knowing that there are people paranoid like me makes me feel more normal now
I don't look at it as being paranoid.... rather preparanoid.
01/09/2010 - CHL class taken
01/11/2010 - Packet Mailed to DPS
01/15/2010 - Check Cashed
01/25/2010 - Received Pin via Email Request
01/25/2010 - Processing Application
02/03/2010 - Application Complete
02/06/2010 - Plastic in Hand

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”