Are all indoor gun ranges hot?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are all indoor gun ranges hot?

Post by Salty1 »

I am thinking they want you to practice in realistic conditions..... :cheers2: .... The range I shoot at has a swamp cooler that does a good job, it is still warm but not unbearable.....
Salty1

GreezyG

Post by GreezyG »

I wish South Austin still had an outdoor range. I live a couple minutes from Red's, but they are too expensive and always packed to the gills.

HB22

Post by HB22 »

Ft Worth Winchester Arms Gun Range is crazy hot in the summer as well.

HB22

Napier

Post by Napier »

Let me parable you a parable. It's 103 in the shade. You are sweating like a porcine. You are in the parking lot of Wally's. Unloading into your hot car a bag of varied feminine hygeine products for your wife and four daughters, who are too pained to leave the house. A low rider rolls up with rap screaming. Four disadvantaged but needy young men of indeterminate race with hoodies pulled up leap out. Each has a 12 gauge assault shotgun. You have a six shot mouse gun. Do you remeber if you jacked a round in and topped off the mag? How to distribute your six (or maybe seven) over their four? That is why the ranges are hot! You sweat. It pours stinging into your eyes. The range Nazis are watching. Your eye protection fogs up. Will that sheep dip P3-AT cycle that cheap Messican ammo you loaded it with? Hot range equals shooting stress. You want the hot? You can't take the hot! But if you can, join me in Plano at Bullet Trap at opening time in August! My favorite range Nazi there laughs "We charge you extra on checkout if you sweated!"

fannypacker

Post by fannypacker »

Having worked in one, the EPA requires them to get the lead dust out and to do so the AC just can't do it's job. They are all hot by regulation.

secure
Posts in topic: 2

Post by secure »

Providing conditioned air to a range is expensive but it can be done.
http://www.careyscentral.com/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Problem is most of the ranges around town are built into existing commercial space with less than adequate HVAC.

Would you pay a couple bucks more to shoot in a facility that was cool in the summer and warm in the winter? I would.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

I shot as Bass Pro Grapevine a few weeks ago, it was HOTTTTTTTTTT, as in just standing there, before I even had a chance to shoot I was sweating THROUGH my t-shirt. Now, granted, I'm a big guy and a sweat-hog at that...but still, it was crazy hot. It was also 100++++++ degrees out too. If there was ventilation there, I sure didn't feel it!

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

If there was really NO ventilation, the range should not have been open. You really don't want to be breathing the lead and other fumes produced by gunfire. There should have been constant airflow coming from your back and flowing downrange.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baldeagle »

secure wrote:Providing conditioned air to a range is expensive but it can be done.
http://www.careyscentral.com/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Problem is most of the ranges around town are built into existing commercial space with less than adequate HVAC.

Would you pay a couple bucks more to shoot in a facility that was cool in the summer and warm in the winter? I would.
Absolutely.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Well, I know when I was talking with Travis at The Arms Room, one of the hold ups for the business model was the A/C had to be upgraded and it was very expensive. The existing building system was replaced and upgraded to the tune of some very major bucks. The reasons have been discussed here, the businesses just have to make it happen. Now to go try it out I hope this weekend.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Given heat endices of 110°, are indoor ranges hotter'n outdoor ranges?

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Top Gun (Houston) is cold. If you go, take a sweater. ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Oldgringo wrote:Given heat endices of 110°, are indoor ranges hotter'n outdoor ranges?
It's a different kind of heat. Outdoors there is a breeze, and (at least at the Garland Shooting Range) you are standing in the shade, so the sun isn't beating down directly on you. At the indoor ranges, there is no noticeable air flow, and so the hot air is stifling. I sweat very little at GSR, but at the indoor ranges I sweat so much I have to keep wiping the sweat out of my eyes in order to continue shooting. I've been to three different indoor ranges now. They've all been the same - so hot I can't shoot long without sweating like a pig.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Today I found the downside to good ventilation. I went to the DFW Gun Store to shoot. They must have had the ventilation fans cranked way up, because there was quite a breeze in there. Made it less hot but the dern targets were flapping in the breeze so bad it was hard to hit the bullseye.

djwdjw

Post by djwdjw »

baldeagle wrote:...almost insufferable. Is there an indoor range where the temperature is comfortable?
During the summer I have yet to find one that is comfortable. I take a towel.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”