Concealed carry that isn't really all that concealed

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Odin
Posts in topic: 8

Concealed carry that isn't really all that concealed

Post by Odin »

Is it just me, or do some people practically advertise the fact that they'e carrying a gun even though the actual weapon itself is not visible? I've noticed this over the years since Texas started issuing CHL's and it seems like lately I'm seeing more and more people that, by their manner of dress, are making me think that they are probably armed.

The purpose of a CHL is to keep the weapon concealed so that if you need it you have it, but not to let the bad guy know that you have it. Criminals aren't a particularly bright group, but in certain areas they seem to be fairly knowledgeable. The type of criminal who intends to do you harm is probably a felon who has been in prison before and learned a few things. You don't want that guy to know you're armed as soon as he sees you or you've lost both the ability to do nothing and observe or act with the element of surprise.

What telltale things make you think "that guy's packing"? These are my biggest three:

1. Fanny pack large enough to conceal a car battery, usually rectangular with a 3" wide strap securing it to the wearer. First of all, the fanny pack fad died out years ago, so just wearing one draws attention to you, but these behemoth fanny packs that will swallow a Desert Eagle are just screaming "I've got a gun". Most commonly seen on men weighing less than 120 lbs, making the fanny pack appear even larger than it really is.

2. The favorite of gunwriters in the all the gun mags - the classic wrinkled "photographer's vest". Yes, you can conceal a pair of S&W M29's under there, but you're not fooling anybody. Unless you have a camera around your neck or you're actually exploraing the Amazon basin this is a good indicator thatyou're armed. Most commonly seen on men weighing in excess of 300 lbs.

3. Any "tactical" pants, especially if they're made by 5.11. Double if you're also wearing combat boots and/or Oakley's. Triple if I can see the "Under Armour" logo on your mock turtleneck. Quadruple if you're sporting a high & tight. Basically, if you look like you just strolled off of a Gall's catalog modeling shoot you're not fooling anyone.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

So, how do you tell if a woman's packing?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

DustinB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DustinB »

I mainly notice by seeing the j-hooks of an IWB on the belt. Manufacturers really should find a better way to secure it.

Glockamolie

Post by Glockamolie »

You just made my argument against open carry. If your gun is concealed *wink wink*, you're complying with the law, but we all know what you've got, and where it it. In the boonies, I'm OK with open carry, but as a state law, I don't think it's a good thing for gunnies in urban areas. In a perfect world, I'm all for every competent adult being allowed to carry in whatever manner he or she feels fit, but in the current real world, I think we're better off keeping them under wraps.
- Brandon

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

DustinB wrote:I mainly notice by seeing the j-hooks of an IWB on the belt. Manufacturers really should find a better way to secure it.
They already did find a way... :grin: The V-clip from Comp-Tac. There are cool pictures of it on their site. I believe that GlockenHammer can tell you more about these if you are interested.

Copied from Comp-Tac website:

We know what you're thinking. "Velcro on a belt?" But in fact, it really does work quite well. Before we go any further, though, we must emphasize just how much easier your life will be if you use your new Comp-tac holster with a proper gun belt. Suitable belts are available from many companies that specialize in gun leather. (Tucker Gun Leather will even make your belt with the Velcro already sewn to the inside. Just tell them where you want the Velcro when you order the belt.) They are most often made with double thicknesses of leather and will hold your handgun more comfortably and securely than any dress belt (or even work belt) ever could.

We did go through a somewhat vexing period trying to figure out the best way to affix the "loop" portion to the inside of the belt. We experimented with a myriad of conventional, sometimes drastic, methods of attaching one thing to another.

Well, OK... We're joking a little.

Eventually, though, we found that simpler is better. By positioning the Velcro on the belt, then putting them in a vice and pressing them together with a good deal of force, the Velcro stays in place for quite a long time. We've tested this arrangement over several months of everyday use with a full-size service pistol and the Velcro panels have stayed in place very well.

If you decide to use your C-T.A.C. holster with V-clips as your standard, everyday carry method, you would probably be well served by having the Velcro stitched to the belt. Now, you probably won't be able to convince anyone to do this by hand, but it should be an easy matter for any shoe repair shop.

Donning your new C-T.A.C. holster with the new V-Clip option is very simple. First, insert the pistol into the holster and slip the rig under the waistband of your trousers. Tuck your shirt in over the grip of the handgun and arrange it so that it drapes enough to properly conceal the presence of the handgun.
Thread the belt through your belt loops normally, pressing the halves of Velcro together to be sure they're properly mated.
Buckle the belt normally and make any final adjustments to the shirt so that everything hangs naturally. In the picture to the right there is a full-sized Para Ordnance P14-45 concealed under that T-shirt. Amazing!
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
Odin

Post by Odin »

DustinB wrote:I mainly notice by seeing the j-hooks of an IWB on the belt. Manufacturers really should find a better way to secure it.
The first time I noticed a "tuckable" IWB holster was standing in line at Fry's in Plano. The guy in front of me had the little hooks visible on his belt and being the first time I'd seen that in public it took me a few seconds to realize what it was. His polo shirt was tucked in and I couldn't make out anything under the shirt, but the hooks were noticeable, although I doubt that 99% of the population would know what they were.

Topic author
Odin

Post by Odin »

llwatson wrote:So, how do you tell if a woman's packing?
I really have no idea. Other than spotting one of those gun purses with the big slot in one end there's no way of telling what lurks in that purse. I just naturally consider all women dangerous so the presense of a gun really doesn't change things much. :grin:

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

You'd be suprised how many people DO NOT notice the J-hooks.

After carrying 24/7 in texas since I got my CHL, a total of ZERO people have noticed (at least show they notice) the J-hooks.

Comptac has a C-hook that I'm going to try when I'm tucked. It's basically a C that hooks behind your belt instead of the J-hook that hooks all teh way around your belt.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Fanny pack large enough to conceal a car battery,
I haven't seen may people wearing BIG fanny packs lately. Now it's the TMP (Tactical Man Purse)
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

I think you will like the C-clips. I wish Comp-Tac would put them on the Gurkha at the holster & the rear strut.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

txinvestigator

Re: Concealed carry that isn't really all that concealed

Post by txinvestigator »

Odin wrote:Is it just me, or do some people practically advertise the fact that they'e carrying a gun even though the actual weapon itself is not visible? I've noticed this over the years since Texas started issuing CHL's and it seems like lately I'm seeing more and more people that, by their manner of dress, are making me think that they are probably armed.

The purpose of a CHL is to keep the weapon concealed so that if you need it you have it, but not to let the bad guy know that you have it. Criminals aren't a particularly bright group, but in certain areas they seem to be fairly knowledgeable. The type of criminal who intends to do you harm is probably a felon who has been in prison before and learned a few things. You don't want that guy to know you're armed as soon as he sees you or you've lost both the ability to do nothing and observe or act with the element of surprise.

What telltale things make you think "that guy's packing"? These are my biggest three:

1. Fanny pack large enough to conceal a car battery, usually rectangular with a 3" wide strap securing it to the wearer. First of all, the fanny pack fad died out years ago, so just wearing one draws attention to you, but these behemoth fanny packs that will swallow a Desert Eagle are just screaming "I've got a gun". Most commonly seen on men weighing less than 120 lbs, making the fanny pack appear even larger than it really is.

2. The favorite of gunwriters in the all the gun mags - the classic wrinkled "photographer's vest". Yes, you can conceal a pair of S&W M29's under there, but you're not fooling anybody. Unless you have a camera around your neck or you're actually exploraing the Amazon basin this is a good indicator thatyou're armed. Most commonly seen on men weighing in excess of 300 lbs.

3. Any "tactical" pants, especially if they're made by 5.11. Double if you're also wearing combat boots and/or Oakley's. Triple if I can see the "Under Armour" logo on your mock turtleneck. Quadruple if you're sporting a high & tight. Basically, if you look like you just strolled off of a Gall's catalog modeling shoot you're not fooling anyone.
I know people who do all 3 of those things and are not even licensed to carry.

It 'may' be a clue for those of us who pay attention, but thats just it.

As my daddy said "you would not be concerned about WHAT people thought about you if you knew how little they actually did"
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

romcneil

Post by romcneil »

Odin wrote:Is it just me, or do some people practically advertise the fact that they'e carrying a gun even though the actual weapon itself is not visible? I've noticed this over the years since Texas started issuing CHL's and it seems like lately I'm seeing more and more people that, by their manner of dress, are making me think that they are probably armed.

Although you may consider that these items a a clue as to whether someone is carrying, they do not mean that someone is carrying. I wore some type of vest (including the notorious photographers vest) nearly all of the time for several years before I began carrying a CCW. My wife does not like carrying a purse, so she sometimes wears a large fanny pack even though she soes not carry a gun. Personally, I think that you give the BG too much credit; I refuse to change my style of dress because comeone might think that they know that I am carrying.

Bob

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

txinvestigator wrote: As my daddy said "you would not be concerned about WHAT people thought about you if you knew how little they actually did"
Very well said. I'll have to burn that saying to memory.

JLaw

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

I don't care if they think I might be carrying, as long as I don't show or print.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

DKSuddeth

Post by DKSuddeth »

The purpose of a CHL is to keep the weapon concealed so that if you need it you have it, but not to let the bad guy know that you have it.
Let us all be very clear on this point.

The purpose of a CHL is MOST DEFINITELY NOT!!!!!! to keep the bad guy from knowing you have it. The ONLY reason we have concealed carry only is that the state legislature 'begrudgingly' agreed to it so long as the could keep open carry illegal. The anti-gun legislators were terrified of the response they would have gotten from their urbanite soccer moms and dads in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas if they had made open carry legal.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”