Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Shu
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shots fired in Mopac road rage incident

Post by Shu »

Keith B wrote:
bayouhazard wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Matthew Evans, 20, the driver of the truck told offers he was intentionally antagonizing Smith, but thought they were just “messing around” up until the point shots were fired.
People like this are allowed to breed and to vote?
That's why I would say not guilty if I was on the jury.

I think the shooter handled it wrong but I want bullies to worry that someone might fight back since, based on the behavior I see on the freeways around here, the DA/police have no interest in arresting people for assaultive threats with a motor vehicle.
I would be the opposite and I would be the first to vote guilty. The guy had ample opportunity to back away from the person who originally cut him off. He pursued the guy for 7 - 8 miles, THEN shot at him. This was totally driven by rage of the CHL (who is an idiot BTW) and deserves to be prosecuted. And if he is a member of the forum, this doesn't count as a personal attack because he should have paid better attention to our posts and learned something. :banghead:

And just because someone is a bully in traffic doesn't give you the right to assault them with a deadly weapon. License plate numbers and a call to the police are the proper method.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: 100%

Taxman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Taxman »

I will admit that he could have handled the situation better. :nono: I don't want to make any excuses for him shooting at the antagonizer's vehicle, but for those that have never driven on Mopac there are not just a whole lot of convenient options to exit and still get to where you are going. I drive that way everyday and in 100 degree temps during rush hour it is not a very pleasant drive!
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

gemini
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gemini »

What scares me, is both these idiots will be back on the street driving........immediately!

Taxman

Post by Taxman »

gemini wrote:What scares me, is both these idiots will be back on the street driving........immediately!
:iagree:
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
GreezyG

Post by GreezyG »

Taxman wrote: there are not just a whole lot of convenient options to exit and still get to where you are going.

My life and limbs are worth exiting and arriving at my destination 5 minutes later :P

I'm honestly surprised the anti's haven't posted all over the comments on kxan.com or their FB story on this.

Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Give them time and they will be all over it.

I had a jerk do almost the same thing. I exited and he nearly took out the barricades to exit with me. I slowed down, he slowed down. I pulled to the side and stopped. He pulled to the side and stopped. That is when my hand went to the butt of the Kimber. We sat there for awhile and I guess I out waited him, he drove off. I guess they think it is a game.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

Keith B wrote:
....This was totally driven by rage of the CHL (who is an idiot BTW) and deserves to be prosecuted. And if he is a member of the forum, this doesn't count as a personal attack because he should have paid better attention to our posts and learned something. :banghead:

And just because someone is a bully in traffic doesn't give you the right to assault them with a deadly weapon. License plate numbers and a call to the police are the proper method.
:iagree: I perceive way too much gun totin' macho talk from people who think they just gotta' resolve various social ills and rude behaviors. A CHL is not a "get out of jail free" card (quite the opposite) and it is not a Batman license. I'll say it again, walking around with a loaded gun is a serious decision burdened with increased responsibilities requiring maturity and good judgement.

Sadly, there aren't any idiot/maturity tests required to obtain a driver's license....either.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Oldgringo wrote:
Keith B wrote:
....This was totally driven by rage of the CHL (who is an idiot BTW) and deserves to be prosecuted. And if he is a member of the forum, this doesn't count as a personal attack because he should have paid better attention to our posts and learned something. :banghead:

:iagree: I perceive way too much gun totin' macho talk from people who think they just gotta' resolve various social ills and rude behaviors. A CHL is not a "get out of jail free" card (quite the opposite) and it is not a Batman license. I'll say it again, walking around with a loaded gun is a serious decision burdened with increased responsibilities requiring maturity and good judgement.

Sadly, there aren't any idiot/maturity tests required to obtain a driver's license....either.
If there were, you'd never see another traffic jam. :smilelol5:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Taxman

Post by Taxman »

Excaliber wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Keith B wrote:

If there were, you'd never see another traffic jam. :smilelol5:
I guess the same could be said for city planners. :biggrinjester:

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

IS a serious situation but I had to laugh at the IDIOT w/the gun saying he was aiming to shoot the driver not the tires and thought he was protected by the castle doctrine. How long has he had a CHL? I would venture a guess that he slept thru most of the class and highly doubt he is a member of this forum. I am beginning to think that, just maybe, there should be a written pyscho analasis part of getting a CHL, some shoot/no shoot questions, what if questions etc. to really make sure people are awake during the class. I know this would probably make it a 2 day class but evidently some aren't getting the jest of it after 10 hrs. Being hot, tired or upset when on the road is no reason to open fire on another driver. A CHL is to protect yourself/family for imminent threat/fear for your life not just if you have had a bad day and think, "by golly I am just going to go out side and find something to shoot at". Maybe instructions should be on the back of the CHL license. If this type of stuff keeps happening we are all in jeopardy of not being able to carry a gun for SELF defense. The other driver who said he was just messing with the shooter - He really had too much idle time on his hands or a really bad sense of humor. I am not refering to the Idiot with the gun as a CHL holder cause he doesn't deserve the title. :mad5
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

This is why it is so darn important to pay attention in class. "I thought I was covered by the Castle Doctrine" GIVE ME A BREAK!

It is your responsibility as a CHL holder to not only pay attention in class (there is a reason we take a class) but to learn as much as you can about gun laws, self defense laws and anything else that could possibly pertain to you carrying that weapon.

I do not feel sorry for this idiot who did not take the time to read/pay attention and did not take his responsibilities serious. THIS IS NOT A GAME. You carry a weapon, you have to ability to take life. That is not a funny thing or something to take lightly. Learn the laws. Learn what you can and cannot do. It is no ones job but your own. You are responsible for your actions or lack thereof.

This incident came up in my class. I will never forget what the instructor said. He told us the first thing the prosecutor will ask is...why did you not just leave? You felt in fear for your life, right? So, why not remove yourself from the situation?

What jury will argue with that?

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Keith B wrote: I would be the opposite and I would be the first to vote guilty. The guy had ample opportunity to back away from the person who originally cut him off. He pursued the guy for 7 - 8 miles, THEN shot at him. This was totally driven by rage of the CHL (who is an idiot BTW) and deserves to be prosecuted. And if he is a member of the forum, this doesn't count as a personal attack because he should have paid better attention to our posts and learned something. :banghead:

:iagree:

Both should be convicted of chronic stupidity and have their sources of testosterone removed.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

jester

Post by jester »

lkd wrote:Maybe he slept through that part of the CHL class?
As discussed in several recent threads, there seem to be a few instructors who don't teach the full curriculum.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

jester wrote:
lkd wrote:Maybe he slept through that part of the CHL class?
As discussed in several recent threads, there seem to be a few instructors who don't teach the full curriculum.
Okay, so maybe he didn't have a good instructor but there are DVD's, books, etc that can teach you stuff. Like the Armed Response DVD's. No excuse not having a good instructor. IMO Also just common sense gets you a long way.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

psijac
Posts in topic: 1

Post by psijac »

The guy with the CHL needs to lose his license, the other guy needs to lose his drivers license
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Return to “Never Again!!”