The Arms Room is open!

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
CaptDave
Posts in topic: 1

The Arms Room is open!

Post by CaptDave »

I stopped by the Arms Room Saturday afternoon to see how things were coming along.

They had opened, albeit a "soft opening" and the place was packed. I saw Tom Estep (el gato) and spoke with him for quite a while and he introduced me to the owner, Bill James. After speaking with him I realized he has a great vision for the store and has put a lot of thought into not only the business side of things, but in carrying products that will appeal to shooters of all disciplines. For example, he is stocking handguns from all of the major manufacturers, and has a good selection of holsters.... I didn't see any Comp Tac stuff, but I'll leave that up to Gregg to handle. He is a "Premier Dealer" for 5.11 Tactical as well as Woolrich and EOTECH. His rifles included various M4's, Springfield Armory M1A's, and lots more. He also became a stocking dealer for Steyr rifles and had some beautifully stocked bolt action guns as well. Shotgunners will find home defense, hunting and sporting guns as well.

There was lots more, like ammo, scopes, binoculars, etc.... but I just wanted to give an update due to all of the interest that I've seen on the forum here.

Mr. James has done quite an impressive job so far. He explained to me that so many people had been coming by the past week while they were still stocking and organizing that he decided today, they would open for business while they continued to receive shipments, stock shelves and get organized.

One important note here: the range is not open yet. They are still working on it with a tentative opening date for the shooting range to be August 1st.

The phone number on their new brochure I left with is 281-332-0706.
"An armed society is a polite society"

WildBill

Re: The Arms Room is open!

Post by WildBill »

CaptDave, Thanks for the update and the phone number. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

gwashorn
Posts in topic: 6

Post by gwashorn »

I was in on Friday and Saturday, talked to Travis for a while. They will also be offering rental on guns for the ranges to try and buy etc. Also, expanding the gun smithing options at their Holland Gun Works just up the road. I had my AR15 built there and they are apparently going to do custom 1911s as well. I think the total business model is to marry a good store, gun range and service package all into one really full total package with good pricing and service. Just a couple of miles from my house so that is nice. I look forward to them growing.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

Thanks for the update....I am only a couple miles away and am going to check it out this evening. I used to frequent the old store on Landing BLVD and dont have anything but positives to say about how they ran the previous location. Can't wait to see the new one!

ExMarlboroMan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ExMarlboroMan »

Leroy wrote:Thanks for the update....I am only a couple miles away and am going to check it out this evening. I used to frequent the old store on Landing BLVD and dont have anything but positives to say about how they ran the previous location. Can't wait to see the new one!
:iagree:
NRA Member
"Don't retreat, just reload!"- Sarah Palin
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same...

The Badger531

Post by The Badger531 »

Well i MUST say that i for 1 am somewhat disapointed in the arms room...me and my girlfriend went there today and i gotta say that from the moment we walked in the door u could Feel the tension in the air it (almost) semed ( to us) as if the employees were on high alert and were expecting to get robbed @ any moment and my girlfriend was soo uncomfortable by the feeling that she went back out to the car and since they didn't have what i was Looking for wich was a fanny Pack for MyGirlFriends Birthday i left as well but i'm sure they'll get more in stock but it's gonna take some serious Convincing on my part to get my GirlFriend to go back there.
CHL Class Taken On 1/03/08
Sent in Application On 04/13/08
PIN Received on 06/03/08
Chl app Approved License issued 9/2/08
Plastic in Hand 9/4/08

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Hmmm... Not sure I understand why you felt that way when entering. I have been going to their store for almost 1 1/2 years and it has always been friendly, easy and open. The new store is really nice and I can't say I got that feeling. I guess my question is what was the source of the feeling? I am wondering if the fact they are all wearing their weapons was the reason she felt that way? They have always done that as do many other places I have been so for me it seems normal. Just curious. I do see a lot of new employee faces that I have to learn their names but I will get there.

As for what you were looking for I do routinely ask them to get things I would like and they do if possible. So if it is not in stock but you know what it is, you could ask them if they can get it. It has worked for me. Best of luck on the birthday present.

Gary
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

The Badger531 wrote:Well i MUST say that i for 1 am somewhat disapointed in the arms room...me and my girlfriend went there today and i gotta say that from the moment we walked in the door u could Feel the tension in the air it (almost) semed ( to us) as if the employees were on high alert and were expecting to get robbed @ any moment and my girlfriend was soo uncomfortable by the feeling that she went back out to the car and since they didn't have what i was Looking for wich was a fanny Pack for MyGirlFriends Birthday i left as well but i'm sure they'll get more in stock but it's gonna take some serious Convincing on my part to get my GirlFriend to go back there.
Please encourage her to go back. I haven't been to the new store, but I have to admit that I experienced the same feeling my first time at the old store. I walked in during a time when few customers were in the store and those that were there, obviously knew the employees well. I felt like I was crashing someone's party when they all stopped talking and turned to stare when I entered the shop. BUT....I have been back on several occasions since then and it's never happened again. I guess I just walked in on a bad day or something the first time. Each time I've been there since, the staff has been warm, welcoming and provided me with good information (except for the time they tried to sell me a pink .22, but I won't hold that against them. :lol: ).

Bad first impressions are definitely difficult to get over, but I hope she decides to give it another chance. We need to help keep these smaller independent gun shops in business where we can.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

LarryH
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LarryH »

Another consideration is that probably more than half their employees have been hired within the last month or so, while they were gearing up for the new store. Some of the new ones may be less relaxed than the long-time employees.

Of course, Shirley and I have been regular customers for three years now, so we're usually greeted by Bill or Larry or Travis or Kim or Elizabeth or Jim as soon as we walk in. (If I go in alone, he/she usually asks where Shirley is.) Between the two of us, we've bought six guns (five pistols and one shotgun) there.

bnc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bnc »

I've never had that impression there, quite the opposite. I'm sure someone could walk in there while I was being helped and think they were crashing the party, even though I've only been there a few times. The staff I've dealt with could talk your ear off about guns all day and is more than happy to from what I could tell.

I still haven't made it to the new place yet though.

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

I was there today to check for an item I wanted. Fairly full and staff all busy with customers. I still need to learn a few new names there but even the new people are coming up, asking if they can help or "Hey, glad to see you again". I just sent Travis an e-mail to get me the item I was looking for since it was not in stock. I think any business has it's good and bad days and if you catch it wrong, well, it is the real world. But give them another chance, I bet anything they will be more than happy to help.

Gary.
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

glock17

Post by glock17 »

i called them the other day and asked if they had a certain gun. He said they had it and the guy sounded very helpful, his name was larry, also the price he gave me was much lower than anywhere else, over $200 less. Too bad im not able to get out there til next week sometime..
may 23- class
may 26- sent app
june 1- check cashed
july 6- pin recieved in mail
july 11- recieved new print cards
july 13- new prints taken electronically
july 14- new prints mailed
august 31- emailed dps
september 3- Application Completed
september 10- plastic in hand

WolfeJager

Post by WolfeJager »

Their new location is quite amazing. With the hiring of all the new people, it has kind of lost alot of the interaction with the core people who run the store. The old location did have alot of the homey, comfortable to browse feeling to it... This new location is Large with ALOT of extra space, i always walk in and get the feeling of being rushed around all the time.

The Range should be open today from what I heard over the weekend.

Its still a great store ran by some good people. I have always been treated right. I wish they would keep a better stock of Old Surplus rifles....I mean you can only have so many Mosins...

LarryH
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LarryH »

WolfeJager wrote:The Range should be open today from what I heard over the weekend.

Its still a great store ran by some good people. I have always been treated right.
We stopped by yesterday, and were told maybe Wednesday (tomorrow). The Fire Marshall has inspected the place, but they don't have the certificate yet.

teddy salad

Post by teddy salad »

I have to laugh at one of the other threads complaining about membership costs at the Arms Room. I think a lot of those people need to "do the math" - there are clearly cost incentives to join. Either that or they don't shoot enough for it to be worth their time. In that case, what do they care how much it costs?

Just my $.02

Return to “Shooting Ranges”