CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 59

Re: CHL holder killed by police in Las Vegas at a Costco

Post by philip964 »

In this article http://www.lvrj.com/news/witness-list-d ... 48369.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lawyer mentions near the end of the article that he has 15 witness some of whom are doctors or lawyers as close as five feet away who say Erik was not a threat and that he did not have time to react to any of the orders before he was shot. He also said that Erik was shot seven times including five times in the back while he was on the ground

This obviously is from Erik's attorney and he is not under oath, but this is terrible if it is true.

I found that the army forums have picked it up this story as this is one of their own, and they are not happy campers either.

I would say the delays and the forensic examination of the video (which apparently there are lots of cameras nearby) do not bode well for Costco and the police officers involved.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Excaliber »

mgood wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Police somewhere like Montana or Idaho would get more benefit of doubt.
Randy Weaver lived in Idaho. . . . Oh wait, the feds murdered him. :skep:
Mr. Weaver is still alive. His wife and teenage son were shot and killed by federal officers.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

philip964 wrote:In this article http://www.lvrj.com/news/witness-list-d ... 48369.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lawyer mentions near the end of the article that he has 15 witness some of whom are doctors or lawyers as close as five feet away who say Erik was not a threat and that he did not have time to react to any of the orders before he was shot. He also said that Erik was shot seven times including five times in the back while he was on the ground

This obviously is from Erik's attorney and he is not under oath, but this is terrible if it is true.

I found that the army forums have picked it up this story as this is one of their own, and they are not happy campers either.

I would say the delays and the forensic examination of the video (which apparently there are lots of cameras nearby) do not bode well for Costco and the police officers involved.
The location of entry and exit wounds, the angle of passage through the body, and the ground impact points of full penetrating shots (if any fully penetrated and if in fact he was shot in the back while on the ground), and the projectiles themselves are all items of easily read physical evidence. If the attorney's allegations are true, the proof should not be difficult as long as evidence was properly collected and preserved.

If five shots were fired into the back of a prone disabled individual, even if he had previously been a threat (which is not at all clear at this point), I think it will be difficult to come up with an explanation to justify them from the circumstances as that have been reported so far.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

mgood
Posts in topic: 10

Post by mgood »

Excaliber wrote:
mgood wrote:
seamusTX wrote:Police somewhere like Montana or Idaho would get more benefit of doubt.
Randy Weaver lived in Idaho. . . . Oh wait, the feds murdered him. :skep:
Mr. Weaver is still alive. His wife and teenage son were shot and killed by federal officers.
Oops, I knew that. Posting without thinking again. :oops:

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 119

Post by baldeagle »

Excaliber wrote:If five shots were fired into the back of a prone disabled individual, even if he had previously been a threat (which is not at all clear at this point), I think it will be difficult to come up with an explanation to justify them from the circumstances as that have been reported so far.
Excaliber, won't they be able to tell who fired each shot by examining the ballistics of the bullets? Or is that just on TV? If it's true they shot him five times after he fell to the ground, then I can't say what I'm thinking about the police in Las Vegas.

I want to believe that it's not true. I've always been a strong supporter of law enforcement. However, I recall the statement of one eye witness, which I posted earlier in this thread, that blood was coming out of his chest as he slumped to the ground. That accords well with this description; one in the shoulder, one in the chest and five to the back. If true, it's possible Erik could have survived the initial volley and died from the shots to the back. In my opinion, that should be manslaughter for whoever fired.

All of this, of course, is predicated on speculation and uncorroborated witness statements quoted in the media, which I don't trust at all to tell the truth, so we are going to have to wait for the now-delayed inquest in the hope that the truth will come out.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Purplehood »

The commercials hit home...'what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas'.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

dubya
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dubya »

This does not sound good:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/witness-list-d ... ml?ref=369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But, a lot of it does not sound good...including the glitch in the store's surveillance system the day of the fatal shooting
JW, Sons of the Republic of Texas
NRA, TSRA

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

baldeagle wrote:
Excaliber wrote:If five shots were fired into the back of a prone disabled individual, even if he had previously been a threat (which is not at all clear at this point), I think it will be difficult to come up with an explanation to justify them from the circumstances as that have been reported so far.
Excaliber, won't they be able to tell who fired each shot by examining the ballistics of the bullets? Or is that just on TV? If it's true they shot him five times after he fell to the ground, then I can't say what I'm thinking about the police in Las Vegas.

I want to believe that it's not true. I've always been a strong supporter of law enforcement. However, I recall the statement of one eye witness, which I posted earlier in this thread, that blood was coming out of his chest as he slumped to the ground. That accords well with this description; one in the shoulder, one in the chest and five to the back. If true, it's possible Erik could have survived the initial volley and died from the shots to the back. In my opinion, that should be manslaughter for whoever fired.

All of this, of course, is predicated on speculation and uncorroborated witness statements quoted in the media, which I don't trust at all to tell the truth, so we are going to have to wait for the now-delayed inquest in the hope that the truth will come out.
In a pistol shooting case like this, there's a good chance that a match can be made between some or all of the recovered projectiles and the guns that fired them. Metro PD knows where the guns are, so that solves one problem. The condition of the recovered rounds and the way they were handled during evidence recovery and analysis will be the determining factors in whether or not there is enough intact jacket material that was marked by its passage through the bore of a particular weapon to enable a positive match between the recovered projectiles and similar reference rounds fired through the guns in question in the lab.

If you're interested in seeing how this is done, check out this video.
Excaliber

Razgriz
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Razgriz »

dubya wrote:But, a lot of it does not sound good...including the "glitch in the store's surveillance system the day of the fatal shooting "
Why is there always a glitch, or the camera wasn't on, or ot was stolen ect.?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 57

Post by WildBill »

Razgriz wrote:
dubya wrote:But, a lot of it does not sound good...including the "glitch in the store's surveillance system the day of the fatal shooting "
Why is there always a glitch, or the camera wasn't on, or ot was stolen ect.?
Most people don't check their cameras or look at security tapes until something happens and they need them. Then, it is too late to find out if the system was working correctly.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

nice article about LEO's and CCW.

http://www.policeone.com/police-product ... ed-weapon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

too bad this guy wasn't one of the police at the Costco.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 57

Post by WildBill »

philip964 wrote:nice article about LEO's and CCW.

http://www.policeone.com/police-product ... ed-weapon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

too bad this guy wasn't one of the police at the Costco.
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

mctowalot
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mctowalot »

Thanks for the link, I bookmarked the site. I found the comments posted by (alleged) LEOs after the story to be kind of refreshing.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

I came up with a reason to withhold the video. Normally killings occur in dark alleys, inside houses, rarely are they this public and with video. The video probably does not include sound, and what happened may be blurred or from the wrong angle and some of the nuances maybe hard to understand from watching the video.

What with so many witnesses, the prosecution may want to get everyones testimony and compare it to the video. If they release the video, the witnesses will see it and it may change their testimony of what they remember and saw. The newscasters may also describe what is on the video and that may also color their memory.

All this would be important if this becomes a murder trial.

New video interview with a witness, says Eriks hands were empty as he went down.
Witness was very convincing.
http://www.mynews3.com/story.php?id=24018&n=5037" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 32

Post by Beiruty »

Who collected the gun or guns that were on the scene on the body of the downed man? First responders? or LEOs? seems very fishy!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Never Again!!”