TLynn's 50th Birthday Present...a new 5.0!!!!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 18

Re: TLynn's 50th Birthday Present...a new 5.0!!!!

Post by TLynnHughes »

budroux2w wrote:
TLynnHughes wrote:I completely agree! I haven't had the pleasure of making a pass down the local dragstrip. Maybe one day. ;-) Definitely thinking about some add ons to the new toy, but can't think of what I want first. It already has most everything that one would "normally" start with.

T.
Gears and a tune.

Real life track report, with a stock car, regular driver shows the car running 12 second 1/4 mile in mid 90 degree temp.

http://www.usamustangs.com/forum/showth ... post171325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This particular car already came with 3.73 gears so that part was taken care of. One of the dealers actually showed us this particular video...pretty impressive!

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

joe817 wrote:I think it's great to get an early birthday present! Kinda like opening a Christmas present on Christmas Eve(if you have the tradition of opening presents on Christmas Day).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TLYNN!! :party: :party:
Thanks again, Joe!!! I agree, early birthday presents are the best. It makes the birthday last much longer!

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

budroux2w
Posts in topic: 11

Post by budroux2w »

TLynnHughes wrote:
budroux2w wrote:
TLynnHughes wrote:I completely agree! I haven't had the pleasure of making a pass down the local dragstrip. Maybe one day. ;-) Definitely thinking about some add ons to the new toy, but can't think of what I want first. It already has most everything that one would "normally" start with.

T.
Gears and a tune.

Real life track report, with a stock car, regular driver shows the car running 12 second 1/4 mile in mid 90 degree temp.

http://www.usamustangs.com/forum/showth ... post171325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This particular car already came with 3.73 gears so that part was taken care of. One of the dealers actually showed us this particular video...pretty impressive!

T.
The more I hear about the 5.0 the more impressed I am, just have too much invested in the 03 to let it go lol

And Happy birthday
:thewave
NRA Life Member

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Purplehood »

TLynnHughes wrote:
budroux2w wrote:

T.
Gears and a tune.

T.
How does one find out what gears the car has? I don't recall seeing it on the sticker. I might have overlooked it.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PUCKER »

Help me out here, school me on what a current tune is, say, on one of the new 5.0 cars, what all does it entail, cost, etc.?

A 12.22 is AWESOME!!!!!! I remember breaking into the 12's in 1991 or so with my mildy tweaked '89 GT 5.0, for a street car, that was FAST back then!
budroux2w wrote: Gears and a tune.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

PUCKER wrote:Help me out here, school me on what a current tune is, say, on one of the new 5.0 cars, what all does it entail, cost, etc.?

A 12.22 is AWESOME!!!!!! I remember breaking into the 12's in 1991 or so with my mildy tweaked '89 GT 5.0, for a street car, that was FAST back then!

$33-$34K?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

Standard equipment would be 3.15 gears for an auto and 3.31 for manual with options to go 3.55 or 3.73.

Other than jacking up the car and looking into the gear box... not real sure how to tell, but could probably find out.

I just did a quick search through the local ford dealer's website and it's looking like they are pricing them out at about $30k.... I might have to test drive one this weekend...
NRA Life Member

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

budroux2w wrote:Standard equipment would be 3.15 gears for an auto and 3.31 for manual with options to go 3.55 or 3.73.

Other than jacking up the car and looking into the gear box... not real sure how to tell, but could probably find out.

I just did a quick search through the local ford dealer's website and it's looking like they are pricing them out at about $30k.... I might have to test drive one this weekend...
My fav feature is the backup camera in the spoiler. The screen is on the rear-view mirror. I must be getting old because I just think that is plain cool.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

Purplehood wrote:
budroux2w wrote:Standard equipment would be 3.15 gears for an auto and 3.31 for manual with options to go 3.55 or 3.73.

My fav feature is the backup camera in the spoiler. The screen is on the rear-view mirror. I must be getting old because I just think that is plain cool.
Mine does not have this feature...but I think it's pretty cool too! My favorite feature (outside of being able to go fast) is all the voice activated SYNC stuff. The darned thing will actually READ your text messages to you.

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

TLynnHughes wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

Mine does not have this feature...but I think it's pretty cool too! My favorite feature (outside of being able to go fast) is all the voice activated SYNC stuff. The darned thing will actually READ your text messages to you.

T.
I still can't figure all the SYNC stuff out yet. And I am afraid that it will read out some of my text messages with my EX and our son in the car.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 5

Post by PUCKER »

What I'm wanting to know is the cost of a tune (as in having a performance car tuner tweak/tune the car) and what exactly that entails?
PUCKER wrote:Help me out here, school me on what a current tune is, say, on one of the new 5.0 cars, what all does it entail, cost, etc.?

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

PUCKER wrote:What I'm wanting to know is the cost of a tune (as in having a performance car tuner tweak/tune the car) and what exactly that entails?

I haven't even researched that. To tell you the truth, it's running a 12 second quarter mile just like it is. I'm good with that.

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

Topic author
williamkevin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by williamkevin »

My my, this is turning into a really good thread!
:smile:

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

Oh ok gotcha. This will vary depending on who does the tune and if you get it through a hand held tuner or get a dyno tune. If I were to get the 5.0 I would get a hand held tuner like the SCT or something similar as you can load up different tunes, data log, etc. These are around $375. The tunes will change how your car handles, i.e. air to fuel ratios that are controled by the car's computer.

I'm not sure how much the dyno tunes run, but again that depends on the shop that does it.
PUCKER wrote:What I'm wanting to know is the cost of a tune (as in having a performance car tuner tweak/tune the car) and what exactly that entails?

NRA Life Member

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

budroux2w wrote:Oh ok gotcha. This will vary depending on who does the tune and if you get it through a hand held tuner or get a dyno tune. If I were to get the 5.0 I would get a hand held tuner like the SCT or something similar as you can load up different tunes, data log, etc. These are around $375. The tunes will change how your car handles, i.e. air to fuel ratios that are controled by the car's computer.

I'm not sure how much the dyno tunes run, but again that depends on the shop that does it.

I better look into a second job. :drool:

T.
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

Return to “Off-Topic”