Experience at the state capitol building.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jecsd1
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Experience at the state capitol building.

Post by jecsd1 »

When I went through I was asked if I was carrying, and indeed I was, but not asked to unconceal or prove in any way

fwgrace
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fwgrace »

I'm wondering what the penalty would be or how ticked the DPS guys would be if someone said they were carrying, but really weren't.
My brother and I were at the Capitol a few weeks ago. They asked him if he was carrying and where, and he showed them. Then the officer glanced at me and said, "Well, you're not carrying." I said that I was, on my belt, and he walked all around me and couldn't find it. He did seem frustrated, but I didn't get in trouble. (And I really was carrying, for the record.)

Grog

Post by Grog »

C-dub wrote:I wonder if any of the legislators or staff have to wait for their CHLs to be verified or if they just show their IDs and go right on in.
Not completely related, but I had an "Emergency Services" ID for the county I lived in back in NC, I once just had to show that to get through the metal detectors with a bunch of tools and junk in a bag. The bag was so big, I could have had an AR pistol in there.

fwgrace wrote: the officer glanced at me and said, "Well, you're not carrying." I said that I was, on my belt, and he walked all around me and couldn't find it. He did seem frustrated, but I didn't get in trouble. (And I really was carrying, for the record.)

He just wanted to gaze upon your buttocks :biggrinjester:

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I'll bet that policy changes once the 2011 legislative session starts. OR... there's going to be a lot of irate lobbyists who got their CHL for nothing. OR... those same lobbyists are now going to have to go back to the store, and buy a gun... and a holster.

Hope we don't have any incidents @ the Capitol by those same CINOs (CHLers In Name Only). Not shootings, but guns falling out of cheap holsters, purses w. guns left unattended, etc.
srothstein wrote:I was told an interesting side of things today. I don't know if this is a recent change based on the news articles, an older policy, or just a freak incident. A co-worker's father went to the capitol today. When he saw the line at the detector's he went over to the CHL line. He showed his CHL and was asked if he was carrying at the time. When he answered no, he was sent back to the regular line.

After I stopped laughing, I asked her why he wasn't carrying and she aid he almost never does. I had to point out the theory is still carry 24/7 or guess right.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

C-dub wrote: To those who have been to the capital and gone through the CHL line, were you asked to show your weapon or prove that you were carrying?
Yes. My wife and I both were carrying and both went thru the CHL line. This was not long after all this kicked off.
USAF 1982-2005

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

No issues so far. :patriot: :txflag: :fire
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

ELB wrote:
C-dub wrote: To those who have been to the capital and gone through the CHL line, were you asked to show your weapon or prove that you were carrying?
Yes. My wife and I both were carrying and both went thru the CHL line. This was not long after all this kicked off.
Okay. Is any of this done within sight of non-LE people? It is at the direction of a LEO, but I'd still be a bit uneasy at doing so within sight of others. Especially once they let me in and those people are aware that I'm carrying and where it is.

Is this a moot point since many people will know why I'm going through this line to enter anyway?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

C-dub wrote:
ELB wrote:
Okay. Is any of this done within sight of non-LE people? It is at the direction of a LEO, but I'd still be a bit uneasy at doing so within sight of others. Especially once they let me in and those people are aware that I'm carrying and where it is.

Is this a moot point since many people will know why I'm going through this line to enter anyway?

Whoops! I just now realized I seriously misread your question! I thought you only wanted to know if we were asked about carrying. I just now reread it and realized you wanted to know if we had to PROVE it. The correct answer is NO, they only Asked me and my wife if we were carrying. They didn't pay much attention to us after that, they were too busy fooling with the computer.

Sorry about that!
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

ELB wrote:
C-dub wrote:
ELB wrote:

Whoops! I just now realized I seriously misread your question! I thought you only wanted to know if we were asked about carrying. I just now reread it and realized you wanted to know if we had to PROVE it. The correct answer is NO, they only Asked me and my wife if we were carrying. They didn't pay much attention to us after that, they were too busy fooling with the computer.

Sorry about that!
No problem. I wondered because fwgrace said his brother showed them.
My brother and I were at the Capitol a few weeks ago. They asked him if he was carrying and where, and he showed them.
I wondered if it was a requirement above just saying that one was carrying.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
jecsd1
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jecsd1 »

I was not asked to prove it. Seems like that would defeat the purpose of concealed. Yes, the CHL ONLY line is 5 feet away from the metal detectors and in full view of everyone.

InfoTechCHL2007

Post by InfoTechCHL2007 »

Sounds like an OK experience, although I'm not crazy about letting a lot of other people around me know I have a CHL...doesn't seem like there was much choice in your case.
Know your weapons

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

For the open-carry advocates, being "outed" in the CHL line at the state capitol shouldn't be a big deal. ;-)

MojoTexas :txflag:
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

mshil
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mshil »

I've been through several times and never been asked anything.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

fwgrace wrote:
I'm wondering what the penalty would be or how ticked the DPS guys would be if someone said they were carrying, but really weren't.
My brother and I were at the Capitol a few weeks ago. They asked him if he was carrying and where, and he showed them. Then the officer glanced at me and said, "Well, you're not carrying." I said that I was, on my belt, and he walked all around me and couldn't find it. He did seem frustrated, but I didn't get in trouble. (And I really was carrying, for the record.)
He was frustrated that he had not seen and could not find visual evidence that you were carrying. I can usually spot some one who is carrying, even if they are not "printing" in any manner.

:confused5
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost »

Forget about the "Wally Walk." Carrying in the State Capitol just smacks of Freedom.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”