Posts in topic: 1

Re: Restaurant Scenario

Post by megs »

Leave and post it on http://www.texas3006.com

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

Gun buster is an unwelcome sign. Should have never gone in.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

glbedd53 wrote:Gun buster is an unwelcome sign. Should have never gone in.
That's certainly one way of dealing with a "gunbuster sign"; however, a simple "gunbuster" sign is not legal notice to a Texas CH licensee IN TEXAS.

The manager's oral directive is most definitely legal notice to vamanos andele.

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Oldgringo wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
The manager comes over and says "We don't allow guns in the restaurant. Please leave."
You've been given verbal warning. You are required to leave. Go, and never give them any of your money again.
You are required to leave but are you required to pay for a burger that has suddenly turned into a bitter vetch on your tongue? I think the eviction notice is immediate and does not allow a stop at the cash register; especially, if you left the {stinky} on the table. OTOH, if this occurs at a fast food joint where one pays before eating, the payment question is moot. The di di mau question is not.
Yes, this is what I was thinking. Which obligation is more important? I don't think this is the time to explain what a CHL is or how you're one of the good guys. I think that is best left to a follow-up letter that is CC'd to corporate if they have one. But in leaving gracefully, how do you pay? Do you pay? Do they want you to leave more than they want you to pay? I know I definitely wouldn't leave a tip!

"Alright. I'll leave immediately. Would you like me to pay first?" would probably be my course of immediate action.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I am still trying to visualize the mentality(or bravado) of the hamburger store manager who would walk up to a person he knows is armed and tell him to get out...LOL. These what if threads leave out the very basic of common sense. I am telling ya right now... it is far more likely they call the cops and report an armed customer in the restaurant. The manager would be one real stupid individual to risk a possible shoot out over his verbal command to leave. He/she would only know you have a gun and know nothing of your intentions or criminal background. This situation will occur just after the world ends in 2012. ;-)

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Er... haven't you guys been reading? Most likely, they would NOT give you any warning at all (a la Costco). They'll just call the cops, blow it out of proportion, and then ask you to leave just as the cops start rolling in.

I wouldn't enter that restaurant at all. A gunbuster sign is an unwelcome sign.

Oh, and 03lightningrocks, yes, the store manager WILL have no common sense. Anyone who puts up a gunbuster sign is just advertising a lack of common sense. I remember an earlier posting on this board about a guy that open carried into an Academy. The store manager PUSHED him out of the store. That's right, the store manager physically confronted an armed man. Either he totally lacks common sense or has pelotas the size of Texas.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I would say:
Mm/Sir, no need to startled I am a good guy and licensed to carry. I am leaving immidately. Stand up and leave with no further fuss.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

HankB

Post by HankB »

The question isn't what you do if the manager calls a SWAT team, the question is what do you do if the manager asks you to leave.

My immediate thought was echoed by an earlier post:
I think the eviction notice is immediate and does not allow a stop at the cash register;
Having been given notice, I would leave quietly, without fuss, and immediately. I certainly would NOT pay for a meal that the manager did not let me eatin his establishment.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

In first place, I would not enter a business that prohibited handguns. IF it was NECESSARY that I enter, I would remove the gun/holster and put in my vehicle (within visual sight of me) and go in/out as quickly as possible.

That aside, IF this happened to me, I would hand the $20 bill to the waitstaff or manager, then exit the building, and consider it was a lesson I learned...

IF you left WITHOUT paying for the burger, etc., the Manager could accuse you of "Theft of Services" and report to police (along with his/her opinion) that you came into their business "armed"...

On a sidebar, in our part of Texas, I have yet to see any sign prohibiting carry in any retail store around here. I have carried into any number of establishments and carefully watch where my "right arm" is and careful not to raise it. Always have my money in my hand (fast food place) so I don't have to contort to get billfold out of my pocket (or any change out of my pocket).

I don't do Wally World, so I don't have to worry about the "Wally Walk"...lol. :patriot:
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

Crossfire wrote:Thank them for their hospitality, pay the bill, ask for a doggie bag, and leave.

And never return.

I do not stay where I am not wanted. I do not return to anywhere I have been asked to leave, and I do not cause bad feelings. How would that help?
:iagree:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Oldgringo wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
The manager comes over and says "We don't allow guns in the restaurant. Please leave."
You've been given verbal warning. You are required to leave. Go, and never give them any of your money again.
You are required to leave but are you required to pay for a burger that has suddenly turned into a bitter vetch on your tongue? I think the eviction notice is immediate and does not allow a stop at the cash register; especially, if you left the {stinky} on the table. OTOH, if this occurs at a fast food joint where one pays before eating, the payment question is moot. The di di mau question is not.
Agree with the sentiment, but I think that in reality, if you are evicted before being served, then nobody will expect you to pay. If you are evicted after being served, you might get the cops called on you if you don't pay. You could try explaining it to the cop, and he may even be sympathetic and agree with you that you don't owe the restaurant anything, but he might not, either.

I would just ask for the doggie bag, pay for it, and finish my meal elsewhere.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

Crossfire wrote:Thank them for their hospitality, pay the bill, ask for a doggie bag, and leave.

And never return.

I do not stay where I am not wanted. I do not return to anywhere I have been asked to leave, and I do not cause bad feelings. How would that help?
Well put and agreed.

Out of curiosity, how many CHL holders here have had this happen?
Never pet a burning dog...

The Annoyed Man

03Lightningrocks wrote:I am telling ya right now... it is far more likely they call the cops and report an armed customer in the restaurant.
Actually, I agree with that. My previous answers were predicated on being verbally asked to leave. That said, anyone who would ask me to leave, would probably also call the cops first.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Texas Size 11 wrote:

And never return.

Well put and agreed.

Me? Never. Concealed is concealed.

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Texas Size 11 wrote:

And never return.

Well put and agreed.

Me? Never. Concealed is concealed.
What TAM said plus , "loose lips sink ships". :thumbs2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”