The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
justaute
Posts in topic: 4

Noob here..."Hi" and a question

Post by justaute »

Hi Y'all,

I am a pistol newbie from Fort Worth and, obviously, a CHL newbie. Hope everyone is doing well.

My question is whether I should apply my CHL online prior to attending the class. All of the CHL classes I am investigating do offer the paper packet. Nonetheless, should I still apply in advance via the online application? Does it speed up the process?

Thanks,

Ken

FWIW... I have a new Springfield XDM 9mm w/ 4.5 inch barrel and a few basic mods. I am also in the process of acquiring a CZ SP-01 Shadow Target. For HD, I use a Benelli Nova 12 ga. shotgun. I intend on developing my shooting skills to do IDPA and USPSA. Although I probably won't carry, I do want the option to do so.
Background Check: 8/19/2010
CHL: 9/7/2010

Texas Dan Mosby
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Noob here..."Hi" and a question

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

I would highly recommend doing the application online, and using the state approved L1 Solutions to do your fingerprints electronically as well.

Will it speed up the process?

No.

It doesn't really make a difference, however, typing is generally faster than writing neatly.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Applying online or waiting for your class will have no bearing on the speed in which it is processed.

As for not carrying, why? :confused5
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

justaute wrote:Hi Y'all,

I am a pistol newbie from Fort Worth and, obviously, a CHL newbie. Hope everyone is doing well.

My question is whether I should apply my CHL online prior to attending the class. All of the CHL classes I am investigating do offer the paper packet. Nonetheless, should I still apply in advance via the online application? Does it speed up the process?

Thanks, Ken

FWIW... I have a new Springfield XDM 9mm w/ 4.5 inch barrel and a few basic mods. I am also in the process of acquiring a CZ SP-01 Shadow Target. For HD, I use a Benelli Nova 12 ga. shotgun. I intend on developing my shooting skills to do IDPA and USPSA. Although I probably won't carry, I do want the option to do so.
Welcome newbie Ken. I am doing well, thanks. You wanted some advice? I think you should carry. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
justaute

Post by justaute »

pbwalker wrote:Applying online or waiting for your class will have no bearing on the speed in which it is processed.

Well, my years of martial arts training should contribute considerably in a situation of "needs." j/k. Seriously, I do realize irrespective of my speed and training, I can't beat a bullet or a gang of idiots. I guess I'm just not quite ready to carry...yet. I'm sure I'll ease my way into it by doing a few selective-carry.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Hi Ken!

Don't feel like you have to do all or nothing. Learn about all of it and choose which parts are best for you and your life. Get comfortable with the information, with your gun and holster, with the laws, and take it from there.

This website is one I recommend for noobs like you and me.
http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start small where it matters to you then just go from there!
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

justaute wrote:
pbwalker wrote:Applying online or waiting for your class will have no bearing on the speed in which it is processed.

Well, my years of martial arts training should contribute considerably in a situation of "needs." j/k. Seriously, I do realize irrespective of my speed and training, I can't beat a bullet or a gang of idiots. I guess I'm just not quite ready to carry ... yet. I'm sure I'll ease my way into it by doing a few selective-carry.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
To paraphrase a famous saying - "don't bring your fists and feet to a gunfight. ;-) Seriously, once you start to carry, it doesn't take long to get used to it. In short order, you will not feel right when you don't carry.
NRA Endowment Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The online application process won't speed the delivery time of a CHL but it will simplify it. L1 prints are 98% accepted while "rolled" prints are only 70 something % accepted. There is much less paperwork to fill out and submit electronically over paper.

As far as carrying - - - it's better to carry it and not need it than the other way around.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

WildBill wrote:To paraphrase a famous saying - "don't bring your fists and feet to a gunfight.
I thought it was something like, "Don't bring a water pitcher to a gun fight." :mrgreen:
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic author
justaute

Post by justaute »

Thanks all. For some reason, that scene from Indiana Jones where Jones just pulled out his pistol and shot the sword wielding dude. :smilelol5:

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

HI and welcome newbie: When I decided I wanted to get a CHL (was on my bucket list) I had also said I probably wouldn't carry a gun all the time. Then soon as that plastic hit my wallet there was a gun on my hip. Was thinking to self, this piece of plastic cost me some chunk of change so may as well reap the benefits. ;-) I am now armed at all times, even around the house and hate going anywhere without my buddy on my hip.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

Lefty Writer

Post by Lefty Writer »

justaute wrote:Hi Y'all,

<snip>

My question is whether I should apply my CHL online prior to attending the class. All of the CHL classes I am investigating do offer the paper packet. <snip>

Thanks,

Ken
Having jus taken the class not too long ago, and still waiting on my plastic, I feel that the only useful comment I can make is about the applicaiton. My instructor advised us to use the online version, as it would not allow us to advance to the next screen unless all the information was there...a sort of "fail safe" idea.

Good luck!

By the way, howdy from the NASA/Clear Lake area!

W42

Post by W42 »

MoJo wrote:The online application process won't speed the delivery time of a CHL but it will simplify it. L1 prints are 98% accepted while "rolled" prints are only 70 something % accepted. There is much less paperwork to fill out and submit electronically over paper.

As far as carrying - - - it's better to carry it and not need it than the other way around.
when I walked the rest of my materials into the office I commented on how nice it was that the app was online and fingerprints could be done digitally and the response I got was "sure wish everyone would use it- makes it faster for us"
Online Application Submitted 6/5/2010
Class Taken 6/29/2010
FAST Prints Taken 7/1/2010
Packet dropped off to Licensing office on 7/1/2010
Plastic in hand 7/30/2010

Topic author
justaute

Post by justaute »

Thanks again, all.

One more question. It seems as though my schedule is clearing up and I may be able to take a CHL class tomorrow offered by a local LEO. As the class is tomorrow, should I still fill-out an online application?

Ken

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

justaute wrote:Thanks again, all.

One more question. It seems as though my schedule is clearing up and I may be able to take a CHL class tomorrow offered by a local LEO. As the class is tomorrow, should I still fill-out an online application?

Ken
I would say "yes". However, it does not matter whether you do the online application before or after the class.

I took my class back in October, but didn't do the online application until the end of May. Even using the instructor-supplied prints & photos, I got my plastic 40 days after DPS received my package.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “New to CHL?”