Glock Haters?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

E150GT
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glock Haters?

Post by E150GT »

I dont like my Glock. I LOVE my Glock. I only wish I had bought a G19 instead of G23. I really love shooting my brothers SA 1911, but it was almost 3 times the cost of my G. I also wish Glock would make a true pocket gun and not that chunky G26/27 thing. For the pocket pisol, I chose Sig P238. While I am a huge fan of glock, I dont bash other guns due to their manufacturer. My brother does not like my glock, so he chose an XDm. That is a nice pistol, but I prefer the Glock grip angle.

**PS** Forgot to add, I think the Glock is a thing of Sheer beauty!

KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KinnyLee »

Ol Zeke wrote: Glocks came along and, well, they were….. PLASTIC! That can’t last! But, everywhere I turned, I was reading about someone putting thousands of rounds through one and it kept on tickin’! :headscratch
Get one of these, then you minimize your plastic content. :rolll

Ol Zeke

Post by Ol Zeke »

:tiphat:
OK, all kiddin’ aside, I’ve never met a gun I didn’t like….. :headscratch Well, there was that RG .22 short revolver that I threw (unloaded, of course) at the target board, to prove that my fastball pitch was more accurate than the gun….. but other than that….. I liked ‘em all! :mrgreen:
What’s more, I like workin’ on 'em as much as I like shootin’ ‘em. So when I get one that has … ahh … issues, I don’t fret. I love a challenge! ;-)
I’m often amused by those who recommend one gun, or one brand as the “best” and dismiss all others as inferior. Well, take it from someone who’s traded off or sold more guns than many here will ever own, the best gun is the one you have with you. The one you’re familiar with and know how to use.
I rarely recommend a particular gun to a first time gun owner but if I do, Glocks are on the list. :fire

While I have an ongoing love affair with the 1911, it’s certainly not the only gun I’ve owned or loved. In fact, I seldom recommend it to the novice, until they have shot one of mine (and are drooling sufficiently). :drool:
I started a half century ago, shootin’ black powder, with my Dad. I still have two of the guns he made. I also have a ’92 Winchester, that I killed my first (and second) Deer with.
There is no “best”…. except…. right now…. where I’m sittin’….. the Glock 19 is the best. Tomorrow it might be the G36, or the Kimber UC, or…… well, I haven’t given much thought to my wardrobe plans for tomorrow. :headscratch

I know, I know, I’ve got a problem…. but it’s not the guns….. it’s the bank account… :cryin

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Ol Zeke wrote: I know, I know, I’ve got a problem…. but it’s not the guns….. it’s the bank account… :cryin
I think we all have that problem. :smilelol5: So many guns, so little funds. Especially with 1911s. :cryin

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

I just don't like the grip much. Other than that they are good guns.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A-R
Posts in topic: 7

Post by A-R »

.30calSolution wrote:forgot to mention the barrels, don't even get me started.

I've heard most of the other complaints you listed and all are legit depending on your personal preferences and point of view. But I've never heard a complaint about the barrel. So I guess I'll have to get you started :evil2: .... what's wrong with Glock barrels?

Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Texas Size 11 »

KinnyLee wrote:
Ol Zeke wrote: I know, I know, I’ve got a problem…. but it’s not the guns….. it’s the bank account… :cryin
I think we all have that problem. :smilelol5: So many guns, so little funds. Especially with 1911s. :cryin
Ain't that the truth? I'm eyeballing some 1911's now and I may just have to find a way to add one to the collection.
Never pet a burning dog...

slinco

Post by slinco »

I own 2 Glocks. They shoot straight, they are comfy in the hand, they are reliable and dependable. I just bought my first Kimber 1911, the Glocks never leave the safe anymore. I am quickly becoming a 1911 junkie.
PETULANT MISANTHROPE
Why do they call it Tourist Season if ya can't shoot 'em?

.30calSolution
Posts in topic: 6

Post by .30calSolution »

austinrealtor wrote:

I've heard most of the other complaints you listed and all are legit depending on your personal preferences and point of view. But I've never heard a complaint about the barrel. So I guess I'll have to get you started :evil2: .... what's wrong with Glock barrels?
I reload my own ammo, and I shoot frequently and cast my own lead alloy bullets.

Unjacketed lead bullets have a tendency to "smear" lead into the voids in the polygonal rifling. This will cause the barrel pressure to rise dramatically in as little as 100 rounds or less. This could mean a Kb....and/or possibly a lodged bullet. However, the land and groove rifling does not have this problem, and unjacketed lead can be safely fired.

The reasoning behind polygonal rifling is that there is significantly less pressure leakage than when using conventionally rifled "land and groove" barrels....This will produce a higher muzzle velocity in a shorter barrel than is normally achievable with land and groove rifling...with one drawback...you cant use lead bullets....unless you spend big bucks and order a replacement barrel that's traditionally rifled. Glock says specifically in their manuals that lead is a no no.

So, that is another reason why I don't care for Glocks. That's not to say their bad guns, they just aren't for me.

For $500 I can get an M&P or XD with traditional rifling that shoots just fine and is aesthetically appealing, to me anyways. If I were to buy a glock and a replacement barrel I am coming out of pocket an additional $150-$200. For $750 I could buy a nice Springfield 1911 or BHP, HK, Sig or possibly a used Kimber.

A-R
Posts in topic: 7

Post by A-R »

.30calSolution wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:

I reload my own ammo, and I shoot frequently and cast my own lead alloy bullets.

Unjacketed lead bullets have a tendency to "smear" lead into the voids in the polygonal rifling. This will cause the barrel pressure to rise dramatically in as little as 100 rounds or less. This could mean a Kb....and/or possibly a lodged bullet. However, the land and groove rifling does not have this problem, and unjacketed lead can be safely fired.

The reasoning behind polygonal rifling is that there is significantly less pressure leakage than when using conventionally rifled "land and groove" barrels....This will produce a higher muzzle velocity in a shorter barrel than is normally achievable with land and groove rifling...with one drawback...you cant use lead bullets....unless you spend big bucks and order a replacement barrel that's traditionally rifled. Glock says specifically in their manuals that lead is a no no.

So, that is another reason why I don't care for Glocks. That's not to say their bad guns, they just aren't for me.

For $500 I can get an M&P or XD with traditional rifling that shoots just fine and is aesthetically appealing, to me anyways. If I were to buy a glock and a replacement barrel I am coming out of pocket an additional $150-$200. For $750 I could buy a nice Springfield 1911 or BHP, HK, Sig or possibly a used Kimber.
ah, the rifling ... hadn't thought of that one

One thing I have noticed over the years is a lot of reloaders tend to shy away from Glocks - there's the kaboom issue, the rifling issue, the beat-up brass issue.

I'm not a reloader. Not saying I never will be. But for now, I get by on factory loads. I do adhere to Glock's requirement for jacketed bullets only. And I also use only new brass ammo unless I get really desperate. Stopped using Blazer years ago when a couple of feeding and ejection problems cost me what would've been a perfect score on my first CHL rewnewal shooting test :grumble That's the only thing my Glock won't "eat" reliably - aluminum cases.

Anyway, good points, all. I tend to forget the quirks of reloading when evaluating guns.

.30calSolution
Posts in topic: 6

Post by .30calSolution »

austinrealtor wrote: I'm not a reloader. Not saying I never will be. But for now, I get by on factory loads. I do adhere to Glock's requirement for jacketed bullets only. And I also use only new brass ammo unless I get really desperate. Stopped using Blazer years ago when a couple of feeding and ejection problems cost me what would've been a perfect score on my first CHL rewnewal shooting test :grumble That's the only thing my Glock won't "eat" reliably - aluminum cases.

Anyway, good points, all. I tend to forget the quirks of reloading when evaluating guns.

With scrounging free lead, groupbuys on wolf primers and spending a little time making my own, 9mm/.40/.45acp costs me about $4-$5 per 100rds. It really saves me money on the magnum stuff. What's a box of .44mag now?.. like $35 for 50rds I think. I can load 50rds for about $5 or so..maybe a buck less. I couldn't afford to shoot some calibers if It weren't for reloading. Not only that but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that I made them with my own 2 hands.

Ok, it really doesn't save me money, but it allows me to shoot ALOT more. If I am testing bullets like Gold Dot's or XTP's for expansion, I can load up $100rds for $25-$30, granted it doesn't give me penetration statistics identical to the factory loads, unless i reload them to chrono'd factory stuff, but it gives me a good idea of the reliability of expansion for a very good price. $25 for 20rds of store bought and the same cost for $100rds of the reloaded. And, I don't carry reloads, I just use them for testing.

glbedd53
Posts in topic: 8

Post by glbedd53 »

I've been shooting Blazer Brass ( not the aluminum case ) when I find them and they work great. But since they're not aluminum I guess they're just like everything else. I'm just saying don't be scared off by the word Blazer if it says brass too.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

The only other semi-auto handgun I've ever shot was a Ruger .22. I can't say I love my two Glocks because I still few them as tools with a specific use and did not buy them for their looks. I have shot several of my dad's revolvers from .22-.44mag. and even a couple black powder with lead balls. Those might have been .50's. I don't know. If I ever get the opportunity to shoot a 1911 I might find that I like them too.

I'm not too interested in the 1911's, but there have been a few that look nice. I think there are several that were made in the 19th century and early in the 20th that are just plain ugly. To have a gun just for its looks I would go for some of the older colt revolvers. My wife also likes these. We've seen a few sets for sale, but couldn't afford them at the time. Maybe the next time we will.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I have a gen 2 g19. IT works its spits all the brass I put in it back out. No ftf, no fte issues. Its an effective and low maintance. Is it better then my p89, not really and that was half the price. Do I like it better then the ruger yes.

Piney

Post by Piney »

I have two Glocks. I certianly agree they do feel different in my hands than the Ms's CZ or other 1911 style pistols. They fit me well. The Ms doesnt care for them, as they don't fit her small hands well. She does however like the ease at which she can rack the slide.

They're not pretty and flashy. They are boxy, plain looking. Mine rarely get seen anyway unless they're about go go bang so *shrugs*.

I'd have to say my favorite part of owning/shooting them I consider them both very reliable. They've shot any ammo I"ve fed them. I confess...... I rarely give them a serious cleaning. They both just run and run. Frequently, when I hear a "click" when shooting in a match, it's "another" pistol :biggrinjester: .

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”