glad i didnt have that drink...

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
lowonair
Posts in topic: 2

glad i didnt have that drink...

Post by lowonair »

on sunday after going to see the city fireworks show in victoria we decided to go to a friends house to shoot off some of our own :patriot: . we got there at about 11:30pm and proceded to have some fun. some of my friends were drinking but my girlfriend and i chose to drink only water since it was hot outside and we were all running around having a good ol' time and we are trying to lose weight :grumble . everything finished up at about 3am and we were inside talking about guns and the range session the next day. my friend was drinking some kind of wine in a little bottle and i was intrigued by such a thing since i hadnt seen wine sold in small bottles. i picked it up and was looking at it when he told me to take a drink and see if i liked it. i told him no and he persisted but eventually accepted that i wasnt going to drink any and im glad i didnt.

when we left i decided to drive since we were both tired but i drive better when tired. we just got to the outer area of the city when i noticed a victoria county sheriff sitting in a parking lot watching traffic. i noticed he was pulling out of the parking lot and thought he was going to patrol the area. thats when all the lights came on :headscratch . i knew i wasnt speeding and was actually doing 5 under the limit and i knew i wasnt driving like i was drunk. i pulled over, got out my dl, chl, and insurance and handed them to the deputy and was informed that my liscense plate lights were out. he asked if i was armed and where it was to which i responded "yes sir i have a revolver in my pocket". he went back to his dodge charger(pure win :coolgleamA:) and came back with a warning and thanked us for cooperating. to be honest, if your only in trouble for a traffic violation why get an attitude? after it was all over i remembered the 2 glocks and 2 m4s that were in the back of our suv. glad that didnt become a problem :oops: .

anyways, the officer was very proffesional and had a great attitude. after reading amny stories on here where things went wrong, i was very nervous but this was a great encounter. got the lights fixed the next day and will be letting his superiors know what a great officer they have.

Pinkycatcher

Re: glad i didnt have that drink...

Post by Pinkycatcher »

Warning for what?

jester

Post by jester »

Pinkycatcher wrote:Warning for what?
Based on his story, it sounds like an equipment violation.

Transportation Code 547.322. TAILLAMPS REQUIRED.
(f) A taillamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and mounted to emit a white light that:
(1) illuminates the rear license plate; and
(2) makes the plate clearly legible at a distance of 50 feet from the rear.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

I make this stop all the time.

Also no front LP. Fail to signal w/in 100 ft of turning, and fail to stop a designated point.

How did you get two m4's?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

In my experience being honest and polite with an officer is the best way to avoid a possible ticket. The only time I got hit for LP lights the officer was mistaken, lying, or confused and I lean toward lying based on what he said during the stop. For the record I will say 90% of the times I have have been stopped its been due to speed issues in unfamiliar vehicles (usually 6 or 7 over the limit with my speedo saying otherwise). The most interesting reason for a traffic stop was because I was driving 2 below the limit making it "Suspicious Activity."
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

lowonair wrote: we were inside talking about guns and the range session the next day.
Just curious, the range at Sun Valley, Cuero Gun Club, or do you have someplace else good to go?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

From what I've heard, officers love to pull people over for no license plate light. A buddy of mine got 5 warnings in one night. :smash:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

jester wrote:
Pinkycatcher wrote:Warning for what?
Based on his story, it sounds like an equipment violation.

Transportation Code 547.322. TAILLAMPS REQUIRED.
(f) A taillamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and mounted to emit a white light that:
(1) illuminates the rear license plate; and
(2) makes the plate clearly legible at a distance of 50 feet from the rear.
Whoops skipped right over that sentence, Thanks!

Rex B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Rex B »

gigag04 wrote:I make this stop all the time.
Also no front LP. Fail to signal w/in 100 ft of turning, and fail to stop a designated point.
Sure glad I don't live in your jurisdiction. I hate front license plates.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
lowonair

Post by lowonair »

VMI77 wrote:
lowonair wrote: we were inside talking about guns and the range session the next day.
Just curious, the range at Sun Valley, Cuero Gun Club, or do you have someplace else good to go?
the one at sun valley. i wouldnt even go there if i had somewhere else to shoot. i could go to some family property but its a long drive.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

Rex B wrote:

...who cares what the law says anyways...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

shortysboy09

Post by shortysboy09 »

Rex B wrote:
Even though I dislike having a front license plate on, I put one on my Corvette to not attract unwanted attention...

Don't see why it would need a front plate anyways. Everyone else is behind it. :biggrinjester:
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

Rex B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Rex B »

I haven't had a front plate on my Z3 since I bought it 3 years ago, nor my Mustang a year ago.
Mustang came with no mount.
Wife hasn't had one on her last two cars, one warning in 5 years for it.

(looking for a "knocking on wood" emoticon )
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

rbftfire

Post by rbftfire »

I dislike the front plates as well but like some others have mentioned, why leave a reason for potential trouble?

jester

Post by jester »

gigag04 wrote:
Rex B wrote:Sure glad I don't live in your jurisdiction. I hate front license plates.
...who cares what the law says anyways...
Certainly not the dealerships who sell cars without a front license plate mount. :mrgreen:
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”