Took three women to the range

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Took three women to the range

Post by baldeagle »

Yesterday I went to DFW Gun Range with three women; a daughter (Emily), a local friend (Janet) and a dear friend from Wichita (Paula) who is here visiting for the 4th. (My wife's 60th is on the 4th.) Paula's son has been bugging her to buy a gun (he owns a Kahr P9), because she lives alone. So I had agreed to take her to the range to try out the G26 and see what she thought.

We went to DFW Gun Range because they had a Glock G26 for rent, and Paula wanted to try it out because a female friend who shoots competition told her she should try the Glock G26. But they had already rented the Glock, so the counter guy suggested an XD (9mm), which he said was similar in recoil and feel. (Beats me. I've only fired a .40 XD, and I've never fired a G26.) She ended up with a G19, because she wanted to see how a Glock felt.

It was in interesting experience. On the way to the range I reviewed the four rules of weapon safety, and we discussed gun ownership, CHLs and the like. Once we got on the range I hung the targets (I use B27E targets from Law Enforcement Targets) and then began a brief safety session and discussion of how semi-auto handguns work. I explained and demonstrated how to rack and release the slide, how to insert and remove a magazine and how to clear the chamber as well as verify that the weapon is unloaded and how to line the sights up on the target. I then handed the Glock to Paula and had her insert the magazine and then remove it. Then she inserted it again, aimed at the target and pulled the trigger. Of course the gun didn't fire, because she hadn't racked the slide. So, she racked the slide. Then I said, "OK. The weapon is hot. There's a bullet in the chamber. When you pull the trigger, the weapon will fire."

When Paula pulled the trigger, the look on her face was priceless. If you've never fired a weapon before, the sound and the force of the air pressure around the escaping bullet can be startling. Paula was definitely startled. After that initial shock, she settled down and fired some rounds downrange, striking mostly within the eight ring. (Not bad for your first time out.) Each of the ladies took their turn firing the Glock, and Emily also fired my Sig P226. Her first shot with the Sig was direct to the center of the head, about eye level high. I pointed out that you're supposed to shoot COM, and she said, "I like shooting at the head." Scary daughter.

All in all we fired about 100 rounds through the two guns. I think Emily liked my Sig better than the Glock. She said the Glock's feel was "boxy". I think Paula's going to need a few more trips to the range, shooting a variety of guns, before she settles on one she likes.

On the way home we talked about revolvers vs. semi-autos, speedloaders and magazines and the importance of being well trained so that you react with your training when placed in a high stress situation.

It was an enjoyable day.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

DONT TREAD ON ME

Re: Took three women to the range

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

Sounds like a good time to me!

Hopefully, Paula will continue to shoot and familiarize herself with handguns.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

baldeagle wrote: When Paula pulled the trigger, the look on her face was priceless. If you've never fired a weapon before, the sound and the force of the air pressure around the escaping bullet can be startling.
Sounds exactly like the time I took my mom for her first time shooting. One shot and she was done for the day. :lol:
Nowadays she puts 50 down range with no problem. ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kevinf2349 »

USA1 wrote:
baldeagle wrote: When Paula pulled the trigger, the look on her face was priceless. If you've never fired a weapon before, the sound and the force of the air pressure around the escaping bullet can be startling.
Sounds exactly like the time I took my mom for her first time shooting. One shot and she was done for the day. :lol:
Did she ever go in for her CHL?
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Kevinf2349 wrote:
USA1 wrote:
Did she ever go in for her CHL?
Not yet. :???:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Beware of Doug

Post by Beware of Doug »

baldeagle wrote:Yesterday I went to DFW Gun Range with three women; a daughter (Emily), a local friend (Janet) and a dear friend from Wichita (Paula) who is here visiting for the 4th. (My wife's 60th is on the 4th.) Paula's son has been bugging her to buy a gun (he owns a Kahr P9), because she lives alone. So I had agreed to take her to the range to try out the G26 and see what she thought.
Good job! Any pics?
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss." - Woodrow Wilson Smith

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Beware of Doug wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Yesterday I went to DFW Gun Range with three women; a daughter (Emily), a local friend (Janet) and a dear friend from Wichita (Paula) who is here visiting for the 4th. (My wife's 60th is on the 4th.) Paula's son has been bugging her to buy a gun (he owns a Kahr P9), because she lives alone. So I had agreed to take her to the range to try out the G26 and see what she thought.
Good job! Any pics?
No, sorry. We didn't take pics.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

TXlaw1

Post by TXlaw1 »

Your story reminds me of the time a few years ago when I helped a lady friend visiting from a very liberal NE state who had never shot a pistol. Visiting in Texas liberated her from the control of her husband and peers just long enough to shoot a box of 45s! Turns out she was a very good shot! We've kept in touch and she's not shot again. Sad.

texjames

Post by texjames »

Good on ya....I have introduced first timers to firerams on countless occasions over the many years and it is a very rewarding experience.
Most while i was still in the AF traveling around all over.Some i still communicate with from a far. :txflag:
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Good job Baldeagle. It's been my experience that just getting new folks (especially women) to the range is 90% of the battle. Once the fear of the unknown is gone, most people like shooting.

Thanks for helping the cause!
Chas.

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

Great day. :thumbs2:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”