How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs used

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs used by TX residents?

I fully support (residents should not need a TX CHL)
53%
I partially support (residents should have TX CHL + out-of-state CHL)
22%
I do not support (residents should not be able to use as a substitute for TX CHL)
25%

Total votes: 123

SWAMPRNR
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs u

Post by SWAMPRNR »

jester wrote:
tqu9047 wrote:As for the poll, I think that the Utah permit or any other permit should NOT be honored if held by a Texas resident. If you can't get or qualify for a Texas CHL, then you don't need or deserve to carry in the State of Texas.
We should apply the same standard to Federal law enforcement, police from other states, retired police, etc.

If they can't get or qualify for a Texas CHL, then they don't need or deserve to carry in the State of Texas. :txflag:

If that's the case don't forget about the military. You would be surprised by how many soldiers can't get a Chl in Texas.

jester
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jester »

Great idea! Close the loopholes and stop the abuse. :thumbs2:
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

aaangel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by aaangel »

great discussion guys! bottom line....my .02 is if you are a "good law abiding citizens like me who has a clean record all the way," then you should be free and be able to carry anywhere on this earth! why??? does my good judgement go away if i go to west virginia?
'got to Texas ASAIC.

tqu9047
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tqu9047 »

While I appreciate all the sarcasm, my feelings haven't changed. But maybe I should have been more specific. If you are unable to QUALIFY for a Texas CHL and you are a RESIDENT of Texas, then you should not be allowed to carry. Whatever the reason for not qualifying, felony, mental health, unable to shoot, etc., if you are inelligible for a Texas CHL, then a Utah CHL or whatever state it is should not be allowed.
It's like a drunk driver who can't get their license renewed going to OK. or LA and getting a license, then living and driving here.

Tim
The 2nd Amendment makes all the others possible!

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

Excellent ideas. Cops from other states (including feds) should have get a CHL and follow CHL carry rules or they shouldn't be allowed to carry in Texas.

If they can't pass the background check, they shouldn't be carrying a gun in Texas, much less a gun and a badge.

If they can't pass the tests, same thing.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

ErnieP

Post by ErnieP »

In general I believe TX Residents should have a TX CHL, and supplement their rights with out-of-state licenses. That said, I also feel there should be some provision (admittedly hard to enforce), that allows New Texas Residents to carry on their existing, Texas recognized, out-of-state license for a period of six months (most likely judged from the date of the issue of their TX driver license). This would allow new residents a reasonable time to get their TX CHL, and not force them to stop carrying while they satisfy our requirements.

.45mac.40

Post by .45mac.40 »

:tiphat:

by seniorshooteress » 25 Jun 2010, 13:05

If you reside in Texas - need Texas CHL. Just like a driver license. Issued from the state you reside in. How many of you have a Utah DL to go with the Utah CHL? I don't plan on moving to Utah so I see no need to have their CHL.

:iagree: :txflag:

Mac
Retired US Army.
EDC: Sig Sauer 1911 UC .45 acp

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

HankB wrote:
almostfree wrote:I support unlicensed open and concealed carry (just as the 2nd Amendment states). As such, I have no problem with Texans carrying on another state's permit, since we currently have to have a permit to exercise our rights. I also feel that Texas is too restrictive on its eligibility requirements for a CHL, and it is a lot more expensive than other states. It cost me $0 to legally open and concealed carry when I lived in Alaska.The application For a CHL should only ask those questions found on the 4473 form for purchasing a firearm. In other words, anyone that can legally possess a handgun under federal law should also be allowed to legally carry it.
:iagree:

I'll also add that under current law, I am very disappointed that TX recognizes carry permits issued in a few states that DO NOT reciprocally honor a TX CHL . . .
I understand the carrot aspect to tit for tat politics, but doesn't it make Texas safer to have more armed responsible citizens regardless of their home state?

Nativetexan2

Post by Nativetexan2 »

ErnieP wrote:In general I believe TX Residents should have a TX CHL, and supplement their rights with out-of-state licenses. That said, I also feel there should be some provision (admittedly hard to enforce), that allows New Texas Residents to carry on their existing, Texas recognized, out-of-state license for a period of six months (most likely judged from the date of the issue of their TX driver license). This would allow new residents a reasonable time to get their TX CHL, and not force them to stop carrying while they satisfy our requirements.

:iagree:
Plastic - 05/27/10

Taurus PT140
S&W Sigma 40VE

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I would think that most folks here would be all for allowing, every citizen in good standing the right to keep and bear arms. I can't fund where the constitution says that only those who aren't behind in taxes or student loans should be allowed the right. to protect themselves.
Even if this right allows a few scofflaws to arm themselves it is not worth restricting good people from arming themselves..

I vote for whatever it takes to arm the most Texans ..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Beware of Doug

Post by Beware of Doug »

Expand the motorist protection act to be a Texan protection act. If you can prove Texas residency you can carry in Texas if you have no violent criminal history. Yankees and other foreigners should have the same carry rights/restrictions in Texas as Texans have in their state or country. Especially cops, since they enforce the infringements. Quid pro quo, Clarice!
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss." - Woodrow Wilson Smith

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Beware of Doug wrote:Expand the motorist protection act to be a Texan protection act. If you can prove Texas residency you can carry in Texas if you have no violent criminal history.
I almost agree. Let's expand the MPA by repealing 46.02 completely. Let anyone who is in Texas and can legally have a gun (something to work on later) carry. We can still issue CHL's for out of state, but no one should need them in Texas.

If it works for Alaska, it can work for us.
Steve Rothstein

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

This is only an issue in TX because of the Dollar Bill. Channel 5 in DFW said the state lost 1 millon dollars in fees by Texans getting Utah CHL's .

If I could afford it I would have a TX , UTAH and FLA one's.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I selected partially support because as long as we have a CHL we should not supersede nor circumvent standards. That said I would fully support constitutional carry with no permit.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

If money is the issue, just charge $140 to register to vote.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”