1911 Bobtail

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 2

1911 Bobtail

Post by dws1117 »

Does anyone have one of these? Have you shot one? How does it feel compared to the standard grip?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

I do not own one, but I have shot one. I have carried it for a day at a range about a year ago. I think they are great for carrying, but for me I it did not interest me much because I like taking them apart and changing out parts. Because of that you are mainly stuck with same grips and same mainspring. Other than those couple of things I think they are a great carry gun.

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Because of that you are mainly stuck with same grips and same mainspring.

Not really. Bobtail MSHes use an officer's model mainspring which comes in six different weights from Wolff. You can also modify or order grips for a bobtail. Your selection of parts specific to a bobtail would be a heck of a lot better than it is for my widebody. Try finding nice walnut grips for a P14 (and let me know if you do).

I think it's a neat idea, bobtailing, but I don't see much benefit. IME, the biggest issue in concealment is the length and width of the grip. Bobtailing just cuts off one of the corners. It feels a little funny in my hand, but it didn't affect shooting. Grip length in my hand is more important on the front strap than the MSH.

I think you'd do fine with a bobtail if it feels good in your hand.

bdsnooks

Post by bdsnooks »

Hi All,

I have a Professional 4" from Wilson's. It took a little getting used to, but it's now my daily carry. Even though the "bobtail" is full size frame, it doesn't seem to poke through the cover garment as much as the more angular heel, as is the intention.
I personally had no problem after a box or so of practice ammo--now feels like second nature. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm very happy with mine.
After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring.
He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.
The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

Topic author
dws1117
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dws1117 »

After the Reliant gun show I went to Collector's Firearms and handled an Ed Brown with the bobtail. Man do I like the way the feels. It felt so natural. I didn't play with the Ed Brown too much as to not tease myself. :frown5: There may be a real possibility of sending my Springfield in to have the frame bobtailed.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

dws1117 wrote:After the Reliant gun show I went to Collector's Firearms and handled an Ed Brown with the bobtail. Man do I like the way the feels. It felt so natural. I didn't play with the Ed Brown too much as to not tease myself. :frown5: There may be a real possibility of sending my Springfield in to have the frame bobtailed.
We only live once. If you like it, I say you should go for it. Afterall, you really can't go wrong with Ed Brown. ;-)

I'm at a point right now that I rather have lots more training than guns, but I'll definitely want an Ed Brown Special Forces one of these days. :cool:

Diode

Post by Diode »

Hey DW, Time got a name of a guy who bob's the 1911's Next time we shoot with him ask him for it. :)

Derf00

Post by Derf00 »

This past Saturday my son and I went went with my son's friend and his dad to their private gun range to try out a few new guns that we both had bought. My son has a Wilson Professional with a bobed tail and his friend was trying out his new Colt Commander. After several rounds, they traded guns and immediately my son's friend said, "wow, I want one of these." He said that the Commander would "bite" his hand and the bobed tail did not.

As others have said the bobed tail really feels good and when CCW, it does not print nearly as bad.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”