May 2010 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

alpmc
Posts in topic: 18

Re: May 2010 Applications

Post by alpmc »

koolaid wrote:I understand that they need a complete application, I really do. It seems ridiculous, though, that in the age of Google maps and USPS ZIP code lookups that they spend the time and money to send back and hold up an entire application for something they could look up in ten seconds on any computer.
This happened to another guy in my CHL class and we all said the exact same thing! Ridiculous!
Clutch wrote:Am I reading this right?
I think your reading it right. I posted this as I was trying to get out the door and did not read it thoroughly. There's no mention of federal taxes so you should be good to go here.

mcall008
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mcall008 »

I mailed my packet on May 17th. Per the DPS site my background check and fingerprints are still "under review", and have been for several weeks. I haven't received any kind of notice asking for missing data or new fingerprints. Everything else is green. I was anticipating a delay due to the census worker issue on the fingerprints, and I have lived in 3 different states since 2007 so I expect my background check to be longer than usual. At what point should I be concerned that there is an issue? Is there anyway for me to get an update from DPS? It sounds like calling is a waste of time.

Thanks.

Clutch
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Clutch »

Per the DPS site my background check and fingerprints are still "under review", and have been for several weeks.
Hang in there Mcall! It will show that the fingerprints and BGC is under review for several weeks, mine has anyway. I received notice that

my photos were "not acceptable" and had to resubmit my photos. Once I resubmitted the photos, it was 2 days or so after receipt that the web site

updated and showed that they had been "received" which I am assuming means they were accepted. It won't do you any good to call until your

processing time,starting on the date of receipt of the package, has been at least 60 days. Pull up a lawn chair, open a cold one and keep in

touch on this forum. It will help pass the time and there is a lot of good information from people in the same boat as usins...

My father used to tell me that patience is a wise man's virtue... But, I have never been called virtuous!

Best to you and post when your status changes or you have questions... it helps the time pass...sort of... :waiting:
Life's tough... It's even tougher when your STUPID! -- John Wayne

coryeller
Posts in topic: 3

Post by coryeller »

Hey mcall008...

I'm just three days ahead of you (May 14 delivery to DPS) and I only get "unable to access..." and "you've exceeded more than one login attempt in 24 hours" messages when I try to check status. No word via USPS either. Oh well, I guess this all part of the fun.

Coryeller

creekwilly
Posts in topic: 11

Post by creekwilly »

mcall- just sit back and wait i mailed mine off may 11th and im still waiting on my fingers and background, it is just a waiting game. nobody know how long it is goin go be, and i have lived in texas my whole life. so just wait it out and something will happen

Clutch

Post by Clutch »

I'm just three days ahead of you (May 14 delivery to DPS) and I only get "unable to access..." and "you've exceeded more than one login attempt in 24 hours" messages when I try to check status. No word via USPS either. Oh well, I guess this all part of the fun.
Welcome to the forum Coryeller! Glad to have you on board! If it has been over 30 days since DPS has received your package, you might want to give them a call.

As far as logging in more than once in 24 hours, I have checked the site at least 578,897,000 times per day... :oops: and I have never had that problem.

Give 'em a call and see what they say. Talk to Rene or Rebecka, they seem to be the most helpful.. not that I have called or anything... :mrgreen:

alpmc

Post by alpmc »

mcall008 wrote:At what point should I be concerned that there is an issue? Is there anyway for me to get an update from DPS? It sounds like calling is a waste of time.
Hi and welcome! Hang in there! In all the calls I made, I found them to be frustrating because I could not get ANY information that I did not already have access to via the DPS website. However, I did seem to feel better after calling. If something is up they will send you notification. I had to re-do my affidavits.
coryeller wrote:I'm just three days ahead of you (May 14 delivery to DPS) and I only get "unable to access..." and "you've exceeded more than one login attempt in 24 hours" messages when I try to check status. No word via USPS either. Oh well, I guess this all part of the fun.
Hi and welcome to you as well! You and I both had delivery status on the 14th. I'm like Clutch, I bet I was checking thousands of times a day and I never received a "unable to access..." and "you've exceeded more than one login attempt in 24 hours" message!! I wonder what's up with that?
Clutch wrote:Talk to Rene or Rebecka, they seem to be the most helpful.. not that I have called or anything...
That is just too funny!!! Did you find out anything from them about your application?

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Post by canvasbck »

coryeller wrote:Hey mcall008...

Coryeller
I ran into the same message. I think one of my mistakes was when it said to apply under the new user link (or something along those lines) I went over to the log on area that requires the audit number.

Dont try to log in for a couple of days (that's a tall order) and it will temporarily clear the "too many login attempts" thing. It all goes away after you actually get status...........now I can check several times a day. :banghead:
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

DocNTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DocNTexas »

Update on My Wife's renewal:

After my last conversation with the DPS, I contacted Alice Tripp with the TSRA and asked for her help as well. Mrs. Tripp jumped right on the problem, contacting the DPS and urging them to resolve the issue. She advised that I would likely hear directly from the DPS. The following day I received a call from the DPS, but unfortunately I was out at the time and missed the call. Now, I had requested a call back from the supervisor on my last conversation with the DPS, so I am not sure if it was that person calling back or someone calling as a result of Mrs. Tripp's involvement, but either way, I did receive a call. Unfortunately, when I called the person back I got their voicemail (naturally) and they did not return my call that day (Friday) or since. Other than the one attempted phone call, there has been no follow up by the DPS as requested, despite additional calls by me.

Late Friday night I checked the DPS online site for any updates to her status and there were no changes. With that, I figured it would be Monday before I could expect any news or take any further action, but just for the heck of it I decided to check the online site again Saturday night and to our surprise there was a change in her status. It now showed her to be "complete" and CHL "manufacture pending". Go figure....an update on Saturday.

So, other than the wait to actually get her plastic in hand, it appears her renewal is now resolved (thanks in no small part to Mrs. Tripp and the TSRA). Unfortunately, we are leaving on a 3 week trip this Thursday and I seriously doubt her license will arrive before that (which is the main thing we were hoping for). Oh well, the DPS does it to us again.

Nevertheless, hopefully the new people in the CHL division at the DPS will get the bugs worked out by the time one of us had to do this again.

I would like to see the law changed to require automatic issuance of CHL's on the 45th (renewals) and 60th (new) application days, or better yet, go to a Utah style renewal system where the renewal is issued immediately upon receipt of the renewal application and any subsequent background checks are done separately without delaying the issuance of the renewed license. If a disqualifying issue is found during the check, the license is simply revoked. Either of these methods would prevent a person from being denied their right to self protection because of a department screw-up or failure to process an application in a timely manner.

Anyway, our thanks to everyone who offered advice here and especially to Mrs. Tripp and the TSRA.

Doc
Last edited by DocNTexas on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clutch

Post by Clutch »

it appears her renewal is now resolved (thanks in no small part to Mrs. Tripp and the TSRA).
Congrats to the wifey, Doc and enjoy your trip. how long will the ride home be knowing whats will be waiting? :mrgreen:
That is just too funny!!! Did you find out anything from them about your application?
Yeah, I failed to mention they didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, they were just cordial... :waiting:

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

Still waiting, no update for a long time. I check it daily.............

creekwilly
Posts in topic: 11

Post by creekwilly »

read this article https://www.tsra.com/index.php?option=c ... ouncements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

says it is taking about 21 days for completetion of the application procress and i have been waiting for 34 business day and my status has not changed in over 12 days

llanite
Posts in topic: 10

Post by llanite »

Updated today! 39 days from the day my packet was received it to the day they mailed the plastic. With luck I might be carrying on the day we celebrate our great nation's independence!

Thanks to everyone on this thread - you made the wait a lot easier. I'll see you at Wal-mart on my Wally Walk...

15-May-2010 - Class taken.
21-May-2010 - Online application and fee completed. Packet mailed with signature service requested.
23-May-2010 - Postal service indicates package received and signed for.
07-June-2010 - Online application indicates updated but waiting for supporting information to be mailed.
License Status: Application processed online. Concealed Handgun Licensing is waiting on the receipt of required materials. Once the application and materials have been received by Concealed Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

15-June-2010
* Application : Received
* Fingerprints : Under review
* Affidavits : Received
* DL or ID : Valid
* Citizenship : No documentation required
* Passport photo holder : Received
* Photo : Received
* Proof of Classroom training : Received
* Proof of Proficiency training : Received
* Fee : Received
* Background Check : Under review
* Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

Exactly 10 working days to acknowledge the online form.
24 days to process the forms and update the web page.

23-June-2010
Fingerprint processing complete and accepted!
32 days total to get to this point!

25-June-2010
Background check completed!
Manufacturing Pending....
34 days total

30-June-2010
Mailed!!!!!!
39 days total!

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

llanite, your post prompted me to check on my wifes:

Her status shows "Mailed" today as well.

her states
Applied online- May 25
FAST-L1 fingerprints and photos May 28
Mailed CHL100 and whatever else on June 1
about June 23, status finally showed up on the website
About June 25 showed Manufacturing Pending
June 30 Shows mailed
25 business days from Application to Mailed
22 business days from FAST to mailed
21 business days from mailing documents to Mailed
and probably 18 business days from DPS receipt of CHL100 and other docs to Mailed -

To me, this is all good, basically 1 month! Now lets see if she actually carries her XD9sc
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

llanite
Posts in topic: 10

Post by llanite »

Teamless - congratulations to you and Mrs. Teamless.

One good data point from this is that your wife used the FAST fingerprinting and got finished about a week sooner than I did with the traditional 10-cards that I got from my class.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”