How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs used

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs used by TX residents?

I fully support (residents should not need a TX CHL)
53%
I partially support (residents should have TX CHL + out-of-state CHL)
22%
I do not support (residents should not be able to use as a substitute for TX CHL)
25%

Total votes: 123

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs u

Post by baldeagle »

SWAMPRNR wrote:I currently have non resident permits from 3 other states because of restrictions Texas has on its eligibility that other states don't have a problem with. If all the states got on the same wagon for background checks it would ease a lot of problems
How would you like it if you moved to a new state and had been carrying for years with no problems then all the sudden be told that you don't meet the requirements. Would you stop carrying or change your Texas chl to a non resident so you could still carry ?
Ask Californians. Or New Yorkers.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SWAMPRNR wrote:I currently have non resident permits from 3 other states because of restrictions Texas has on its eligibility that other states don't have a problem with. If all the states got on the same wagon for background checks it would ease a lot of problems
How would you like it if you moved to a new state and had been carrying for years with no problems then all the sudden be told that you don't meet the requirements. Would you stop carrying or change your Texas chl to a non resident so you could still carry ?
Depends. What law were you breaking that made you ineligible for a Texas CHL?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Significant Otter

Post by Significant Otter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
SWAMPRNR wrote:How would you like it if you moved to a new state and had been carrying for years with no problems then all the sudden be told that you don't meet the requirements. Would you stop carrying or change your Texas chl to a non resident so you could still carry ?
I think he's asking about someone with a Texas CHL moving to another state and not being able to get a license in that state but still being eligible for Texas. ("stop carrying or change your Texas chl to a non resident")

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Significant Otter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
SWAMPRNR wrote:How would you like it if you moved to a new state and had been carrying for years with no problems then all the sudden be told that you don't meet the requirements. Would you stop carrying or change your Texas chl to a non resident so you could still carry ?
I think he's asking about someone with a Texas CHL moving to another state and not being able to get a license in that state but still being eligible for Texas. ("stop carrying or change your Texas chl to a non resident")
I was responding to when he said "How would you like it if you moved to a new state and had been carrying for years with no problems then all the sudden be told that you don't meet the requirements."

Texas's requirements are pretty specific, and they're not that hard to meet... ...if you've kept your nose clean.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jester

Post by jester »

He can still be eligible for a Texas CHL, albeit a non-resident Texas CHL, even if he doesn't meet the requirements for a license in his new state of residence.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Frost

Post by Frost »

I chose option 4: No CHLs, every free person can carry.
It can happen here.

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

almostfree wrote:I support unlicensed open and concealed carry (just as the 2nd Amendment states). As such, I have no problem with Texans carrying on another state's permit, since we currently have to have a permit to exercise our rights. I also feel that Texas is too restrictive on its eligibility requirements for a CHL, and it is a lot more expensive than other states. It cost me $0 to legally open and concealed carry when I lived in Alaska.The application For a CHL should only ask those questions found on the 4473 form for purchasing a firearm. In other words, anyone that can legally possess a handgun under federal law should also be allowed to legally carry it.
:iagree: Well said.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

There may be reasons to eliminate reciprocity completely for some states, or all states, but there's no good reason to discriminate based on someone's address.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

HankB

Post by HankB »

almostfree wrote:I support unlicensed open and concealed carry (just as the 2nd Amendment states). As such, I have no problem with Texans carrying on another state's permit, since we currently have to have a permit to exercise our rights. I also feel that Texas is too restrictive on its eligibility requirements for a CHL, and it is a lot more expensive than other states. It cost me $0 to legally open and concealed carry when I lived in Alaska.The application For a CHL should only ask those questions found on the 4473 form for purchasing a firearm. In other words, anyone that can legally possess a handgun under federal law should also be allowed to legally carry it.
:iagree:

I'll also add that under current law, I am very disappointed that TX recognizes carry permits issued in a few states that DO NOT reciprocally honor a TX CHL . . .
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I too am very disappointed that TX recognizes carry permits issued in a few states that DO NOT reciprocally honor a TX CHL.

being the the money for the permits is what is used to fund our program here I too think Texas should require permits to be issued by the state that the person's has residents in. So live in Texas should equal support texas. After that if you want permits from elsewere for reason of travle then go you should be allowed to support those states programs as well.

I also think Chas has the right awnser, teach the classes there. or teach both as a 2 day class.

OldSchool

Post by OldSchool »

Well, as usual, I'm off to the side. If we truly believe that everyone who can qualify should be allowed to carry, then I lean toward recognizing all carry licenses, in exactly the same way we recognize all drivers' licenses (it's not as if cars are less dangerous than guns...). The qualifications for drivers' licenses are certainly not consistent among the states, and yet we don't seem to worry about that. However, each state recognizes only one DL per person at any given time (with the exception of the IDL), and requires that each new resident obtain a local DL within a certain time period (30 days for Texas, IIRC).

Pro: Precedence, with an existing paradigm.
Con: The problem with drivers is pretty much one of completely ignoring safety. Would we have that same problem with folks carrying, over time? :confused5
Last edited by OldSchool on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

Texas should accept Utah licenses.

If Texas legislators decide to reject Utah license, they should reject all Utah licenses. Residents and nonresidents. Carpenters, congressmen, clergy, cops and concert cellists.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

Tamie

Post by Tamie »

OldSchool wrote:However, each state recognizes only one DL per person at any given time (with the exception of the IDL), and requires that each new resident obtain a local DL within a certain time period (30 days for Texas, IIRC).
I think it's 90 days now, but:
  1. A Texas DL is good in all 50 states.
  2. With a IDL (cheap, easy) a Texas DL is good all over Europe and in many other countries.
  3. A Texas DL is not suspended if you're merely accused of a traffic offense.
  4. A Texas DL can be renewed the same-day with no renewal class.
  5. A 21 year old can get a Texas DL if they pay $25 and pass the tests. No mandatory class.
  6. If someone from another state moves to Texas, they can get a valid temporary Texas DL when they turn in their out-of-state license and pay $25 for a 6 year license.
  7. DPS will take the photo and thumb prints at no extra cost.

tqu9047
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tqu9047 »

If I'm not mistaken, only a Texas CHL is legal to carry in a Federal Gun Free Zone(School Zone).
Also, some states will only honor a license if the holder is a resident of that state.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

As for the poll, I think that the Utah permit or any other permit should NOT be honored if held by a Texas resident. If you can't get or qualify for a Texas CHL, then you don't need or deserve to carry in the State of Texas.

Tim
The 2nd Amendment makes all the others possible!

jester

Post by jester »

tqu9047 wrote:As for the poll, I think that the Utah permit or any other permit should NOT be honored if held by a Texas resident. If you can't get or qualify for a Texas CHL, then you don't need or deserve to carry in the State of Texas.
We should apply the same standard to Federal law enforcement, police from other states, retired police, etc.

If they can't get or qualify for a Texas CHL, then they don't need or deserve to carry in the State of Texas. :txflag:
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”