How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs used

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs used by TX residents?

I fully support (residents should not need a TX CHL)
53%
I partially support (residents should have TX CHL + out-of-state CHL)
22%
I do not support (residents should not be able to use as a substitute for TX CHL)
25%

Total votes: 123

Topic author
jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 1

How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs used

Post by jeeperbryan »

With all the attention this topic has had on the forum and in the news, I am interested in the general consensus on this issue. As such, here's a poll :)

LarryH

Re: How do you feel about TX recognizing out-of-state CHLs u

Post by LarryH »

You need more choices. My choice has been stated on the "WFAA" thread.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I have no problem with a person carrying solely on the basis of a non-resident license. Some of the reasons that Texas has for revocation/ineligibility for a Texas CHL are rather ridiculous. Take a look at Texas Penal Code, § 42.01. All of those can keep you from getting a Texas CHL.
NRA lifetime member

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

I think you should have a TX CHL. If you want an out of state license to cover states not covered by TX CHL, thats fine as long as you have a TX CHL. :txflag:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My preferences, in order of preference:
  1. No regulation at all, no signage requirements, OC & CC unregulated. People who don't like guns just have to deal with it. I've had to deal with them for 57 years. Now it's time to put the shoe on the other foot.
  2. IF we have to have CHL, then I think that Texans should be allowed to obtain licenses from any state they can, but that they have to have a Texas license to carry in Texas. I am not in favor of people using out of state permits as an end around to Texas law, because it will ultimately have the net effect of making things more difficult, not easier. The hyperventilation about out of state carry permits has already started in Texas based media. Look for it to get more frequent and more loud - until we suddenly have more laws on our backs than before.
Unless you have a clear and decisive majority control in the state's legislature - and you don't - then confrontational "in your face" behavior will always lead to the state's exertion of more authority over your lives, not less. The bold marketing of CFP as an alternative rather than an enhancement to CHL is that kind of "in your face" behavior which will likely lead to loss of freedom rather than enhancement of it. Such is the nature of governments. People who ignore this principle or flaunt it, not only do so at their own risk, but they risk the rights of everyone around them... ...and that's just wrong and irresponsible, not to mention politically naive.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

foreman

Post by foreman »

cougartex wrote:I think you should have a TX CHL. If you want an out of state license to cover states not covered by TX CHL, thats fine as long as you have a TX CHL. :txflag:
:+1 :iagree: :thumbs2:

TexasTony

Post by TexasTony »

I think if you are a Texas resident, you should have a Texas CHL. I have no problem with Texas recognizing the CHL of other states for people visiting, but if you reside in Texas you should be required to get a Texas CHL to carry. I wouldn't mind an exemption for "Winter Texans" though.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

I'm pro gun so I support reciprocity.

I also did a search on news and couldn't find people carrying on a Utah license causing any real problems in Texas.

I did find that video of the drunk off duty cop shooting a cop car, so it looks like allowing cops to carry off duty without a Texas CHL is a much bigger problem than letting someone with a Utah license carry in Texas.
:rules:

:biggrinjester:

Texgun

Post by Texgun »

This is a difficult issue. I do not think we should confine our thinking to comparing Texas CHL versus some other state. In Texas, there is little problem obtaining a CHL. With the impossibility of obtaining a CHL in some states we should consider how our own poll data will be used against us if/when CHL is considered in the anti-gun locations that currently deny citizens their constitutional rights.
Texgun
College Station, TX

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

The Annoyed Man wrote:My preferences, in order of preference:
  1. No regulation at all, no signage requirements, OC & CC unregulated. People who don't like guns just have to deal with it. I've had to deal with them for 57 years. Now it's time to put the shoe on the other foot.
  2. IF we have to have CHL, then I think that Texans should be allowed to obtain licenses from any state they can, but that they have to have a Texas license to carry in Texas. I am not in favor of people using out of state permits as an end around to Texas law, because it will ultimately have the net effect of making things more difficult, not easier. The hyperventilation about out of state carry permits has already started in Texas based media. Look for it to get more frequent and more loud - until we suddenly have more laws on our backs than before.
Unless you have a clear and decisive majority control in the state's legislature - and you don't - then confrontational "in your face" behavior will always lead to the state's exertion of more authority over your lives, not less. The bold marketing of CFP as an alternative rather than an enhancement to CHL is that kind of "in your face" behavior which will likely lead to loss of freedom rather than enhancement of it. Such is the nature of governments. People who ignore this principle or flaunt it, not only do so at their own risk, but they risk the rights of everyone around them... ...and that's just wrong and irresponsible, not to mention politically naive.
:iagree:

seniorshooteress
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seniorshooteress »

If you reside in Texas - need Texas CHL. Just like a driver license. Issued from the state you reside in. How many of you have a Utah DL to go with the Utah CHL? I don't plan on moving to Utah so I see no need to have their CHL. :txflag:
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

almostfree

Post by almostfree »

I support unlicensed open and concealed carry (just as the 2nd Amendment states). As such, I have no problem with Texans carrying on another state's permit, since we currently have to have a permit to exercise our rights. I also feel that Texas is too restrictive on its eligibility requirements for a CHL, and it is a lot more expensive than other states. It cost me $0 to legally open and concealed carry when I lived in Alaska.The application For a CHL should only ask those questions found on the 4473 form for purchasing a firearm. In other words, anyone that can legally possess a handgun under federal law should also be allowed to legally carry it.

denwego

Post by denwego »

almostfree wrote:I support unlicensed open and concealed carry (just as the 2nd Amendment states). As such, I have no problem with Texans carrying on another state's permit, since we currently have to have a permit to exercise our rights. I also feel that Texas is too restrictive on its eligibility requirements for a CHL, and it is a lot more expensive than other states. It cost me $0 to legally open and concealed carry when I lived in Alaska.The application For a CHL should only ask those questions found on the 4473 form for purchasing a firearm. In other words, anyone that can legally possess a handgun under federal law should also be allowed to legally carry it.
Bingo. Anything else is completely redundant and little more than a money grab.

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

denwego wrote:
almostfree wrote:I support unlicensed open and concealed carry (just as the 2nd Amendment states). As such, I have no problem with Texans carrying on another state's permit, since we currently have to have a permit to exercise our rights. I also feel that Texas is too restrictive on its eligibility requirements for a CHL, and it is a lot more expensive than other states. It cost me $0 to legally open and concealed carry when I lived in Alaska.The application For a CHL should only ask those questions found on the 4473 form for purchasing a firearm. In other words, anyone that can legally possess a handgun under federal law should also be allowed to legally carry it.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

SWAMPRNR

Post by SWAMPRNR »

seniorshooteress wrote:
denwego wrote:

I currently have non resident permits from 3 other states because of restrictions Texas has on its eligibility that other states don't have a problem with. If all the states got on the same wagon for background checks it would ease a lot of problems
How would you like it if you moved to a new state and had been carrying for years with no problems then all the sudden be told that you don't meet the requirements. Would you stop carrying or change your Texas chl to a non resident so you could still carry ?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”