crazy gun video

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 10

Re: crazy gun video

Post by Embalmo »

It's difficult to figure this guy out. On one hand you think he's a comedian that has created a gun-nut, over zealous, self defence instructor moron character, but something tells me that he may be the real thing. Does he really conduct classes where he spreads his stupidity? This is the exact thing that will make people fear guns/gun people. Still I can't help but think that he's doing a Sasha Baron Cohen thing. Hmm.

Embalmo
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Topic author
davidtx
Posts in topic: 11

Post by davidtx »

Embalmo wrote:
davidtx wrote:I'm learning gun disarms in Krav Maga. IF you can avoid the first shot (which as far as I can tell, requires both skill and a lot of luck), you will have your hands on the gun, one of them on the slide. If you've done your job correctly and been lucky, the gun won't be pointing at you. I find it reassuring to know that a second shot won't destroy the hand I have on the slide.

My instructor is in the process of learning to teach this skill and is definitely NOT a gun expert, so I've been reading as much as I can from other sources. I found this article interesting: http://www.usadojo.com/articles/deadly-gun-disarm.htm
I would only give this idea consideration if it disabled the weapon, or removed the gun from the bad guy. It does neither.
Yes, they remove the weapon from the BG. I'm not sure how it could be a "disarm" if it didn't.

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Embalmo »

davidtx wrote:
Embalmo wrote:
davidtx wrote:I'm learning gun disarms in Krav Maga. IF you can avoid the first shot (which as far as I can tell, requires both skill and a lot of luck), you will have your hands on the gun, one of them on the slide. If you've done your job correctly and been lucky, the gun won't be pointing at you. I find it reassuring to know that a second shot won't destroy the hand I have on the slide.

My instructor is in the process of learning to teach this skill and is definitely NOT a gun expert, so I've been reading as much as I can from other sources. I found this article interesting: http://www.usadojo.com/articles/deadly-gun-disarm.htm
I would only give this idea consideration if it disabled the weapon, or removed the gun from the bad guy. It does neither.
Yes, they remove the weapon from the BG. I'm not sure how it could be a "disarm" if it didn't.
So you grab the bad guy's gun and hold his slide while you take a round to your chest or head. Then while he's laughing, you pull the gun from him, rack the slide, and then empty it in the bad guy? I don't think it's a good idea to ever suggest grabbing a bad guy's gun.

Embalmo
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Topic author
davidtx

Post by davidtx »

Embalmo wrote:
davidtx wrote:
Embalmo wrote:

So you grab the bad guy's gun and hold his slide while you take a round to your chest or head. Then while he's laughing, you pull the gun from him, rack the slide, and then empty it in the bad guy? I don't think it's a good idea to ever suggest grabbing a bad guy's gun.

Embalmo
Gee, I don't know how you came to this conclusion from anything I said. I think I'll cut my (time and energy) losses and stop now.

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Chemist45 »

I don't see much use for the technique.
I also noticed he put his hand in front of the muzzle multiple times.

This guy is a hospital visit waiting to happen.

Cobra Medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cobra Medic »

Grasseaters often miss the point of this video, but that's OK. They wouldn't fight back against an armed opponent anyway, so they're not the intended audience. He does a good job of debunking the nervousnellies' bunk, proving that the slide won't tear off your hand in CQB and stuff coming out the ejection port might hurt, but it's better than giving up and dying.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

AndyC wrote:The slide tearing my hand is the least of my concerns and is of minor relevance (it may, however, be earth-shattering news to noobs) - but the guy's focusing on the wrong problem.

Oh, and a gentle word of advice - do be careful how quickly you throw out the "grasseater" insults, sonny - some of us have been doing this for real for probably longer than that kid has been alive.
That's true, and I'm not suggesting this guy is some sort of rocket surgeon, but there's a lot of people who insist it's impossible to beat a drawn gun or it's impossible to disarm someone who has their gun drawn.

The FBI's LEOKA reports prove them tragically wrong. Year after year.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

Topic author
davidtx

Post by davidtx »

Cobra Medic wrote:
AndyC wrote:The slide tearing my hand is the least of my concerns and is of minor relevance (it may, however, be earth-shattering news to noobs) - but the guy's focusing on the wrong problem.

Oh, and a gentle word of advice - do be careful how quickly you throw out the "grasseater" insults, sonny - some of us have been doing this for real for probably longer than that kid has been alive.
That's true, and I'm not suggesting this guy is some sort of rocket surgeon, but there's a lot of people who insist it's impossible to beat a drawn gun or it's impossible to disarm someone who has their gun drawn.

What part of the LEOKA report are you looking at?

Topic author
davidtx

Post by davidtx »

AndyC wrote:
Cobra Medic wrote:That's true, and I'm not suggesting this guy is some sort of rocket surgeon, but there's a lot of people who insist it's impossible to beat a drawn gun or it's impossible to disarm someone who has their gun drawn.

I don't believe anyone here suggested that.
Embalmo wrote:So you grab the bad guy's gun and hold his slide while you take a round to your chest or head. Then while he's laughing, you pull the gun from him, rack the slide, and then empty it in the bad guy? I don't think it's a good idea to ever suggest grabbing a bad guy's gun.

jester

Post by jester »

davidtx wrote:Yes, they remove the weapon from the BG. I'm not sure how it could be a "disarm" if it didn't.
:iagree:

I also think you're asking to get shot if you stand there like your feet are glued to the floor. Get off the line of attack!
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Embalmo wrote:So you grab the bad guy's gun and hold his slide while you take a round to your chest or head. Then while he's laughing, you pull the gun from him, rack the slide, and then empty it in the bad guy? I don't think it's a good idea to ever suggest grabbing a bad guy's gun.

Embalmo

As a police officer, one of the real dangers is that you will be in the interview stance (about 2-3 feet from the bad guy) and asking for his ID. When his hand comes up from his back pocket, he has a gun instead of a wallet or license. One reaction which could save your life is to practice disarming him. You use one hand to grab the barrel/slide are of the gun, the other hand to grab his wrist. As you twict the gun backwards against his fingers, your pushing with your strenght and against the weak direction of his hand. You can easily disarm him (usually breaking his trigger finger at the same time). It is a time honored technique that works and has saved many officers (and bad guys) lives.

I cannot get the video, so I don't know if that is the technique shown under discussion, but it is one time it pays to grab the bad guy's gun barrel or slide. And since you are not just grabbing and standing still, you do not usually take any rounds to the chest or head. It is possible you might get shot doing this, but very low in probability.
Steve Rothstein

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Maybe he works for Academy and that's where he holds classes. :shock:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”