Taking the Rider's Safety Course

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Taking the Rider's Safety Course

Post by gigag04 »

I'm pretty excited...some of my coworkers and I all signed up to take the Training Wheels rider's safety course. Then I'll be looking to buy a bike.

Any tips for the class?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

jester
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Taking the Rider's Safety Course

Post by jester »

If it follows the MSF Basic Rider Course, you'll do great if you go with an open mind and some patience. Like the CHL class, there's bound to be a lot you know already, but pay attention anyway because there's likely useful bits that are new to you mixed in the lecture and range instruction. When I did mine many moons ago, most of the class did great. Newbies were doing the figure 8s and going over obstacles like 4x4s with confidence. The only rider with problems at the end was someone who thought they knew how to ride and didn't take instruction well.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

bnc
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bnc »

The MSF course is very useful and pretty fun too. Hopefully the course you are taking counts for the insurance discounts that most places give to MSF students (about 10% if I remember correctly).

In addition to keeping an open mind about how to ride, keep an open mind to what bikes you like. My taste motorcycles changed quite a bit once I started riding. ;-)

dicion

Post by dicion »

Yea, don't do what I did, and take it in the middle of July in the Texas heat :smilelol5: "rlol"

Seriously though, they start at pretty much zero. You should have a blast!

Try and tie my score, 100% on both the written and driving tests :thumbs2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

On my way to Bass Pro, earlier today, I saw a bunch of folks taking a motorcycle course of some kind. Man, was it hot out.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MasterofFajitas

Post by MasterofFajitas »

gigag04, good for you! I took it and learned a great deal. Just pay attention to what they tell you to do and you'll be fine. Some people didn't in my class and got to go home early.
October 19, 2009 Application Mailed
October 26, 2009 PIN issued
January 19, 2009 Application Completed - license issued
January 22, 2010 License In Hand

Pinkycatcher

Post by Pinkycatcher »

I took it at Texas RIDER, and I loved it! I didn't start at step 0, but pretty close to it. I now have a Harley Sportster and couldn't be happier. The only person that had problems in my class was a middle-aged woman who was going to ride a scooter and never really understood the clutch, slowed down the class a bit, but not too bad.

May I suggest you take it really slow after you do get your bike until you get comfortable. It took me three or so days of weird take offs, empty gas tanks, and too slow turns to finally get the rhythm down.

*edit* and if you ever want someone to go on a weekend ride with, give me a shout!

shortysboy09

Post by shortysboy09 »

Good choice to take the course gig. I rode dirt bikes up until 16 when I decided to get a bike for road use. I took the MSF course and it taught me a lot of techniques that are very useful, trust me they have been used many times over, to me and keeping me safe out on the roads.

What bikes are you looking into?
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Thanks guys.

I'm looking forward to it. I will be pretty much starting out zero. I've ridden bikes before but never prolonged. I can shift and such.

Then I'll be looking for a good used sportster...pref a 1200. I know the asian bikes are the same for the less money but I totally buy into the made in america idea of a harley. Few things are much more american than that. Plus...it's got the snob appeal thing going for it.

I don't want a new shiny bike out the gates - I figure I'll put my learning scars on something a bit less shinier.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

In the Marines we had to take the course each and every year or we were not allowed to ride on base.

Each and every year I learned something new or remembered something that I had forgotten. They are great courses for the newbie and the experienced rider.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have been riding the better part of 43 years. I took the course a couple of years ago with my wife just so she would have someone she new there with her.
It reminded me of some things long forgotten, taught me some new things never known plus gave us a discount on insurance.

The only down side to the course is the size of the bikes you take them on (usually a 250 of some sort) Talking about oversized for me. Knees in the chin type stuff but as you know, I am a good size man.

The wife had one problem and that was with her boots. She had a pair of Harley boots that had a thich sole on them. She was having a problem getting them between the peg and shifter. That night we went and bought her some hi-top tennis shoes and she did a whole lot better.

As for the Sportster, is is a good starter bike for the money. Thats what we started the wife on but after 3 months of riding, she wanted something bigger so we got her a Fatboy and she loves it (so do i when I get to ride it)

If you plan on having your wife ride 2 up, then you may want to look at a Dyna at least.

When you get your license and bike, let me know and I or we will ride down take a ride with you. We are always looking for a road trip.

Oh, by the way, if you are taking the class during the summer, take plenty of water, and get you some neck wraps that can be soaked in water. We took our class in August and that is what saved us.

Good luck and happy riding. :thewave

Ray
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

I've been riding since I was 11 or so and I got my "M" endorsement the "old-fashioned way" - you know, take a buddy with a motorcycle license, your motorcycle, a car, half a day off for you and your buddy...and go get tested...what a PAIN...! But I understand that it's different now. I took the MSF class with my Dad when he decided to give it a shot. The insurance discount was nice. It started literally at the lowest level and gave good info. Mine was a two-day class...and wouldn't you know that it was snowing and also raining, with freezing rain sometimes? LOL Hey, learn in what you might ride in. My only complaint was that the instructor didn't teach countersteering - I brought it up in class and he tried to fumble his way out of it...not sure why, that's the easiest way to initiate a turn. My favorite part was the "Figure 8 of death" - OK, well, that's my nickname for it...but we all were riding in a figure 8 without stopping, that was pretty cool.

So many different brands/styles to choose from - I guess it all boils down to what you like to ride and how you like to ride. A dirtbike (or a street-legal dirtbike) wouldn't be a bad thing to start out on - it will teach you all the basics plus you'll know how to handle a streetbike when it gets out of control...like when the back end skids out from power and/or excessive braking...or if you grab too much front brake...alot softer/easier to go down on dirt than pavement. Just my thoughts as someone who started in dirt and still occasionally rides in dirt. I'm between streetbikes right now...every few years I get the itch...kind of have a hankering for a standard/naked bike right now. The last scooter was a Honda VTX 1800 Retro, it was fun!

karder

Post by karder »

I did it just like pucker! I've had my "M" endorsement for 25+ years and I have a lot of miles in the saddle. Taking a safety course is a really good idea. It is not about learning one big secret, but more about learning dozens of little techniques and concepts.

Just some unsolicited advice, but I would strongly recommend getting a used bike for you first ride. That way when you drop it...and you will drop it, it does not hurt so bad. Get something on the cheap to can bang around, and after a couple of years in the saddle, get what you really want!

A year of riding will also help you determine what type of riding you enjoy. Short day trips, long haul touring, eduro, commuting or even track days. They are all fun, but really require different bikes. I love long distance touring and because my wife likes to come with me, I ride a very different rig than I would if I rode by myself. I would like to ride the BMW GS1200, but not comfy for the wife, so I am touring on a Triumph Rocket III. That is comfy, but big and no good on dirt, but the wife is happy so that makes me happy! Whatever you do, be safe and have fun!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

txmatt

Post by txmatt »

Having taken the MSF course in July in Texas I'd recommend wearing a breathable, light-colored shirt of some sort to meet their long sleeves requirement. Unless you already happen to have a mesh jacket. Lots of time in the sun on a hot bike. Anyhow like the others said the course is great, you'll have a good time and learn a lot.

As to a first bike, I'd go cheap and jap. Probably a shadow 600 if you are into v-twins. Ride it for a minimum of 5k miles and then get what you want. Buy in Houston, sell in CS and you will probably make money on it. At least for me, my wants/needs in a bike have evolved significantly since I started riding and it took me several bikes to find one that really suits me, and it wouldn't have been appropriate as a first bike. But if after you take the class you are still set on the big harley, go for it and don't look back.

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

The MSF safety course is something I highly recommend. I believe our instructor said the two day course is equivalent to one year of riding experience, and experience is always good
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

Return to “Off-Topic”