To chamber or not to chamber

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: To chamber or not to chamber

Post by gigag04 »

There is no question here....you carry a gun with a round in the chamber.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Cobra Medic

Post by Cobra Medic »

I keep the chamber empty when I'm hunting until I'm ready to shoot, but self defense guns have a round in the chamber.
This will only hurt a little. What comes next, more so.

secure

Post by secure »

Crazy sword guy says always be chambered..... :nono: :fire
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't figure out how to embed....

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Cobra Medic wrote:I keep the chamber empty when I'm hunting until I'm ready to shoot, but self defense guns have a round in the chamber.
Seems like a lot of unneccesesary noise. :headscratch

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Dog pile! lol

Chamber

In a high stress situation, you may not have the wits or time to work the slide.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

dicion

Post by dicion »

Dogpile indeed.

:iagree: Chamber.

Keith

Post by Keith »

Congrats,Def Yes Chamber a round. I have Xds great guns that won't go off unless you put your finger on the trigger. Of course you know this should never happen unless you are ready to shoot. You will chamber it's just that you are new and nervous. Totally understand. Take care great job carry at all times.
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

HD76

Post by HD76 »

First congratulations on getting your CHL. I am fairly new to CHL, and I was nervous about carrying with a round chambered. My daily carry is a Kel-Tec p3at that I pocket carry in a holster. When I started carrying, I did not carry chambered, I figured I would have time to chamber one. About a month ago, two couples were robbed at gun point next to the building I work at. I got to see the footage of the car pulling up, and the guys jumping out. I am not certain I could have had my gun out of my pocket fast enough, let alone taking time to chamber a round. Since then I have been carrying with one chambered. Like others said, make sure the trigger is covered, and practice drawing while keeping your finger off the trigger until you have brought it up.

On a side note, how is carrying the XDm IWB? My incredible family surprised be with a new XDm 9mm 4.5 for fathers day :anamatedbanana , and I am considering getting an IWB holster for it.

duns

Post by duns »

Chambered! However, any gun (even it has a safety IMO), must be in a holster and you must learn how to unholster and reholster without touching the trigger or snagging the trigger on anything.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Why would you buy a car and not put any gas in it?
Byron Dickens

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

been carrying for years and I carry in condition 1
Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In order to have maximum effectiveness as a safety/protection device you must carry one in the chamber.

In order for me to feel safe, I want a thumb safety. So, I only carry guns with thumb safetys. (I carry a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45)

I have thought long and hard about switching to the XDm with thumb safety (only in some 9mm models i understand), but I don't want to downgrade to 9mm because i subscribe to the "carry the largest caliber you can comfortably shoot" school of thought.

If you're comfortable carrying one in the pipe w/o a thumb safety then by all means do it. I'm not comfortable with that, but that's just my comfort zone.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Chamber.

P.S. Your XD has a couple of external safeties: a grip safety (the gun won't fire unless you're holding the grip) and a trigger safety (the gun won't fire unless the trigger is pulled). You also have the safety between your ears as well as a fairly significant trigger pull. A safety exists to prevent a firearm from discharging when you don't intend for it to discharge (dropped, bumped, jostled, caught on something, etc.). . . it's not for disabling the gun totally like a trigger lock.

I'll echo those who are recommending a good holster that retains it shape to allow one-handed reholstering and covers the trigger.

As always, know your main firearm safety rules:
1. All firearms are always loaded.
2. Always keep a firearm pointed in a safe direction.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. Always be sure of your target and know what is behind it along the bullet's trajectory.

I guess that P.S. turned into a M.S. by the time I was done typing.
Native Texian

Justin Franklin

Post by Justin Franklin »

I don't anticipate a fire in my house, but all my fire extinguishers are loaded and ready to discharge. Chamber!
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL
Concealed Handgun Classes in League City
http://www.setxchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

I dont see why one would carry a handgun and not have a round chambered. I think its more of a piece of mind thing as some think their gun is going to just magically discharge a round. I use to feel that way when I was new to carrying.

jtran987

Post by jtran987 »

+1 for chambering a round if you have time chamber a round while being mugged then either you are crazy fast or they are really really slow, but seeing how that USUALLY isnt the case (you might be special who knows) carry it chambered, i carry my 1911 cocked and locked all the time, or even my kahr pm45 with on in the chamber and not worry about it

Return to “New to CHL?”