Just did the Wally Walk... OC'ing!

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
GatoNegro
Posts in topic: 2

Just did the Wally Walk... OC'ing!

Post by GatoNegro »

I am visiting my folks in Arizona. I just went to Wal Mart Open Carrying. Very little attention from the few people that even noticed, and I was the most concerned. It is a good feeling not having to worry about printing. I also stopped at a local convenience store and there were two ICE agents chit chatting with an officer from the local PD. They noticed. No questions, no reaction.

On the other hand, I still feel a little uneasy, so back under my shirt it went, lol.

I hope someday we can do this in Texas. Sometimes when I am mowing the lawn or working on the cars, trying not to print, it would be so much easier to OC.

Regards,
GatoNegro
GatoNegro
MSG, US Army, retired
Patriot Guard Riders
American Legion Riders
Proud CHL holder
PT 111 Mil Pro

G26ster
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just did the Wally Walk... OC'ing!

Post by G26ster »

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not stating any opinion, just for info.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

If you are mowing your grass or working on your car at home, you can open carry.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

gigag04 wrote:If you are mowing your grass or working on your car at home, you can open carry.
I'd hate to scratch up the finish on my pistola while wrenchin' under my truck. Plus I don't want to have a .45 that handy after I smash my knuckles when said wrench slips off a nut. :mad5

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

G26ster wrote:http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html

Not stating any opinion, just for info.
Well, that certainly is a case where you would need to be "more" aware of your situation and surroundings when you do carry openly...This guy probably got a little too complacent, was in the wrong place at the right time for someone else to take advantage of the situation...

Good thing the OC'er wasn't killed on the spot...

But, it is a lesson learned then...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

It is puzilling that OCer did not react. Lack of training and loss of confidence are likely the reason.
Pulling and placing 2 good hits should take less than 3 sec
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

This is why I tend to roll my eyes when people rail about wanting open carry. You lose EVERY advantage with the BG when you OC. By the time he (and his friends) walk up to you, he knows where you carry, what you carry, and when to approach you at your weakest time. And I would HOPE that the holster worn in the open is at least level II retention.

I know this is a sensitive issue to many people, and I would never work _against_ supporting any OC laws, but I continue to fail to grasp the advantage, other than to help prevent a CC'er from getting dinged with unintentional "failure to conceal".
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

One advantage to OC over CC is speed of draw. drawing from OWB OC should be
blinding fast.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Beiruty wrote:One advantage to OC over CC is speed of draw. drawing from OWB OC should be
blinding fast.
If you are relying on the speed of your draw, you're already reactive, rather than pro-active (IMHO).

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

Beiruty wrote:One advantage to OC over CC is speed of draw. drawing from OWB OC should be
blinding fast.
I actually tested this the other day while practicing for IDPA. I was surprised that my time difference between using an OWB holster with and without a cover shirt was within about a tenth of a second or less.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Sounds like the guy in Wisconsin wasn't training. He certainly wasn't aware of his surroundings, or the BG would never have gotten close enough to rob him. Now that he's decided to no longer OC, he thinks he'll be safer? As Brian pointed out, training is the key. If you're not constantly training, you're kidding yourself if you think you'll react correctly and put lead on the target. Having a gun doesn't make you safer. Having a gun you can use instinctively, correctly and accurately does.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

If one doesn't have any sort of rertention a draw might be a bit faster. But OCing withoutt retention is a bit risky.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

sgerry

Post by sgerry »

Frankly i hope texas doesn't allow OC. Just my opinion...

I want a baddie to walk into a restaurant / bank / etc and NOT know who to take out first. Keep em guessing!

Topic author
GatoNegro

Post by GatoNegro »

Folks,

I also think that situational awareness is everything. Looks to me like the subject walked into a place he shouldn't have, or at a time he shouldn't have. There probably are situations where a person walks into this situation and can't help it, but I sure try to steer away from that.

GatoNegro
GatoNegro
MSG, US Army, retired
Patriot Guard Riders
American Legion Riders
Proud CHL holder
PT 111 Mil Pro

SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

sgerry wrote:Frankly i hope texas doesn't allow OC. Just my opinion...

I want a baddie to walk into a restaurant / bank / etc and NOT know who to take out first. Keep em guessing!
Thread related content: congrats on the OC Wally walk in AZ.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'll say this about OC: I don't necessarily disagree with your decision based on the tactical considerations you cite, but that's for each person to decide, not the law.

SA-TX

Return to “Other States”