New procedure from Austin

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
rjr5545
Posts in topic: 2

New procedure from Austin

Post by rjr5545 »

When a student applies on line they will no longer get an application package from the state. They get a receipt that tells them what they must get from the instructor, the CHL100, Photos, Photholder, Fingerprints if they didn't choose fastprint and any documentation they need for discounts. They are doing the notaries on line at the time of application. The photo holder is available on line, I was sent an email and they said you can request just the manual (when you request packages) as they won't mail these to them, not sure about the fingerprint cards, as I have requested these numerous times and have yet to receive any extra cards. The person that responded to my email said they will begin posting the changes on the website soon, but my student telling me about the paperwork change instead on the state.
Last edited by rjr5545 on Sat May 29, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New procedure from Austin

Post by Crossfire »

Welcome to our world! DPS has historically been slow in passing information to instructors. One of the best ways to find out what is going on is to pay close attention to this forum. Either Charles Cotton will let us know something is coming, or some instructor or student will experience the latest change and let us know. Then DPS will acknowledge it to instructors months down the road.

I find it quite interesting that you sign your affidavits online when you do the application, before you take the class. One of them, "Knowledge of Laws" is the sworn affidavit that you have read and understood Chapters 9 and 46 of the Texas Penal Code. Really? How are you supposed to do that before you take the class? Before you get the LS-16?

I am glad that DPS has taken some of the burden off instructors, and that they are streamlining the process somewhat. I just wish they would have let instructors give some input to this, instead of letting us find out what they did after the fact.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

GrannyGlock

Post by GrannyGlock »

First student we had that tried the new procedure could "not be found in the system" even with DPS entering the information for her (She was on the phone trying to get this clarified), so she was told to submit the information on a paper form.

I recently requested paper packets and new booklets by email and received my order in less than a week. Paper packets were complete with FP cards, passport photo holders and booklets. Service was excellent.

Have not been able to find out what the cost is for the digital photos and FP yet.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

GrannyGlock wrote:Have not been able to find out what the cost is for the digital photos and FP yet.
My wife applied online Wednesday for her CHL.
At the end of the sign up, it pushes you through to the L1 FAST site, for Finger print/photo scheduling.
The cost, payable either online via Credit Card, or in person via Money order or cashiers check, was about $10.50 or so. this fee covers the electronic finger printing and photos. L1 FAST Sends the photos to DPS along with the fingerprints.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
rjr5545

Post by rjr5545 »

I have gotten packages as quick as 2 days myself, but I am hoping that I can get the booklets and Fingerprint cards alone as it's a lot of waste to use an entire package just for those two items that.

secure

Post by secure »

I was just made aware of this as well.
All the student is responsible for sending now is the following:

Below is your checklist of required supporting documentation:

* 2 fingerprint cards or fingerprints submitted using FAST
* Photo holder
* 2 Signed Photo
* CHL-100 Training Form

Glad we don't have to use those packets now!!!!

Link to download the photoholder (CHL-6) is here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/chl-6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TSUalum05

Post by TSUalum05 »

secure wrote:I was just made aware of this as well.
All the student is responsible for sending now is the following:

Below is your checklist of required supporting documentation:

* 2 fingerprint cards or fingerprints submitted using FAST
* Photo holder
* 2 Signed Photo
* CHL-100 Training Form

Glad we don't have to use those packets now!!!!

Link to download the photoholder (CHL-6) is here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/chl-6.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is the Photo Holder something I have to provide or will they get those from the FAST place if they take pictures?

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

TSUalum05 wrote:Is the Photo Holder something I have to provide or will they get those from the FAST place if they take pictures?
You should provide it, we got ours from our CHL Instructor
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

K5WQH

Post by K5WQH »

Fast or L1 does not take your picture to send to Austin. They take it for their records. You need to download the picture holder and insert your picture in it. If your instructor does not take your picture then get a passport photo at CVS or Walgreens.
I was in the last instructors class 1 June 10 and that was the info as of last week.

Quahog

Post by Quahog »

Crossfire wrote:Welcome to our world! DPS has historically been slow in passing information to instructors. One of the best ways to find out what is going on is to pay close attention to this forum. Either Charles Cotton will let us know something is coming, or some instructor or student will experience the latest change and let us know. Then DPS will acknowledge it to instructors months down the road.

I find it quite interesting that you sign your affidavits online when you do the application, before you take the class. One of them, "Knowledge of Laws" is the sworn affidavit that you have read and understood Chapters 9 and 46 of the Texas Penal Code. Really? How are you supposed to do that before you take the class? Before you get the LS-16?

I am glad that DPS has taken some of the burden off instructors, and that they are streamlining the process somewhat. I just wish they would have let instructors give some input to this, instead of letting us find out what they did after the fact.
I agree. At a minimum they should give you a pointer to the LS-16 online. Here it is for anyone who might want it:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/chl-16.pdf
"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." -- Ronald Reagan

NRA - TSRA - PSC - CHL

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

K5WQH wrote:Fast or L1 does not take your picture to send to Austin. They take it for their records. You need to download the picture holder and insert your picture in it. If your instructor does not take your picture then get a passport photo at CVS or Walgreens.
I was in the last instructors class 1 June 10 and that was the info as of last week.
Excuse me? For their records? Why do they need that? :banghead:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

K5WQH wrote:Fast or L1 does not take your picture to send to Austin. They take it for their records. You need to download the picture holder and insert your picture in it. If your instructor does not take your picture then get a passport photo at CVS or Walgreens.

Even though the "photo Holder" has instructions that the photos be placed in an envelope?
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Crossfire wrote:I find it quite interesting that you sign your affidavits online when you do the application, before you take the class. One of them, "Knowledge of Laws" is the sworn affidavit that you have read and understood Chapters 9 and 46 of the Texas Penal Code. Really? How are you supposed to do that before you take the class? Before you get the LS-16?
I don't know about other people, but when I got to that part, I looked up the referenced laws online and read them carefully. I was not about to sign an affidavit stating that I had read something until I had actually read it. I don't recall now, but I think the application had links to the relevant cites so that you could click on them to read them.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”