Range Report LLAMA 9mm Parabellum

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
PJK
Posts in topic: 3

Range Report LLAMA 9mm Parabellum

Post by PJK »

As many of you know, recently I received a gift of a LLAMA 9mm Parabellum from my cousin. I had never owned or shot a 1911 before. Everyone has been telling me that they are addictive and I would be buying more as soon as I shot it. Today I took it to Sportsman's Outlet in Humble and shot it. Well everyone was right. This is a nice shooting gun!

I figured out it was built in 1975 so for 35 years old it was amazingly tight. I put 200 rounds through it and only had one failure to feed on the 2nd round. The round shot up too hard and got caught in the slide vertically. This might have been because I was shooting UMAX reloads, or it might be because the magazine was slightly tight and a bit jerky. I took it apart and noticed what looked like sand in the magazine. I cleaned the spring and then oiled it up. Every round fed perfectly after that.

Let me start by saying that I am not the best shot, but I am practicing and improving. That said, I have attached 3 pictures.

The first is the gun itself.
LLAMA 9mm Parabellum
LLAMA 9mm Parabellum

The second picture is a 10 round grouping at 5 yards. All shots in either the bulls eye or in the 9 ring, so from 15 feet I got about a 1.5 inch grouping.
10 rounds at 5 yards
10 rounds at 5 yards

The third picture is 9 shots at 15 yards. Every shot was within the number five ring giving me a 5 inch grouping. I did have one fly away where I was anticipating the kick.
9 rounds at 15 yeards
9 rounds at 15 yeards

Many of you have told me this is a medium quality gun. I am impressed with the fit, finish and how tight everything still fits after 35 years. The grips are a beautiful color, and it shows very little wear and tear. It is a full size 1911 so I don't see me trying to carry it this summer. I will probably keek carrying my Glock, but I do plan on getting a Comp-Tac holster for IWB carry this winter. It will take a few more visits before I trust it as my self defense pistol.

Overall for the first range visit, I think the gun preformed very well. I am very impressed with it, and if this is a medium quality 1911 there will be another in my collection soon.

"Why are there mass shootings in gun free zones? The same reason there are non at gun ranges"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range Report LLAMA 9mm Parabellum

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PJK wrote:I am very impressed with it, and if this is a medium quality 1911 there will be another in my collection soon.
Get one in .45 ACP. You'll be absolutely surprised at how easy shooting that round is in that pistol.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
PJK wrote:I am very impressed with it, and if this is a medium quality 1911 there will be another in my collection soon.
Get one in .45 ACP. You'll be absolutely surprised at how easy shooting that round is in that pistol.
Took my non shooting DIL out this weekend. She shot a 38spl 2" bbl, Tarus Millenium 9mm, XD-40 and Kimber Eclipse Pro Target II 45 ACP. When all shooting was finished she was asked by her hubby which she liked best and the answer was the 1911 Kimber( didn't tell her it was a .45 so as to not scare her). Congrats PJK and remember I told you so.

Topic author
PJK

Post by PJK »

I went to buy a few magazines for this LLAMA and noticed the Kimber Pro CDP II. WOW!!!! I have to save a few pennies, but I see another 1911 in my safe soon.

"Why are there mass shootings in gun free zones? The same reason there are non at gun ranges"

jville75766

Post by jville75766 »

Does anyone know where I can buy a clip for the Llama 9mm Parabellum?

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I googled it and found quite a bit of info to read/look up... http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&h ... 93&bih=499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...the on-duty "it's a magazine not a clip" police will be along shortly...but us old guys knew what you wanted!!! welcome to the forum!!!

...IF the Llama takes Colt 1911 mags, MecGar makes this one: http://www.mec-gar.com/Magazines/1911/MGCGOV9L" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; probably the best quality you'll find...Mecgar makes for several manufs...

Topic author
PJK

Post by PJK »

It will take the Colt magazines, but the LLAMA release is 1/16th of an inch lower. You will need to get a Dremel tool and shave the magazine catch opening a bit. Just extend it more towards the bottom of the magazine. I did this to 3 of them and they work great!

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rm9792 »

PJK wrote:I went to buy a few magazines for this LLAMA and noticed the Kimber Pro CDP II. WOW!!!! I have to save a few pennies, but I see another 1911 in my safe soon.
I have carried a Kimber Pro CDP for years. Never fails to function and hits where I want it to. I doubt you could go wrong there. I have dozens of 1911's but stick with the CDP for carry.

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rm9792 »

speedsix wrote: ...the on-duty "it's a magazine not a clip" police will be along shortly...but us old guys knew what you wanted!!! welcome to the forum!!!
Weeeeoooo..Sir pull the mouse over and release the keyboard. I have to cite you for Semantical Misconduct. I need you to write "Its a magazine not a clip" 500 times on the board.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”