Is the Smartcarry, smart?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Is the Smartcarry, smart?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Honestly, I'm less concerned with safety than I am with heat and humidity. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a heavy guy like me, in a Texas summer, would be working up a pot of chili down there by the time the day is over. For those of you that have one, does it "breathe," or does it feel hot and sweaty to wear it?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Bisley

Post by Bisley »

I've used a SmartCarry occasionally, over the last few years, and although it's not the perfect carry method (what is?), it is very useful in certain circumstances.

I'm a large man and I can conceal a large semi-auto in mine, fairly well, if I'm going to be wearing loose pants (khakis, etc.) and mostly standing up. A subcompact or J-Frame is more comfortable, especially if sitting a lot, but I do avoid wearing the SmartCarry if I'm expecting to be seated a lot, because it is virtually impossible to draw from a seated position.

Yes, it gets pretty hot if you get forced out into the heat for extended periods. These days, I carry mostly a .45, IWB, if possible. The Smartcarry is reserved for those times when I can't carry IWB. I have a pocket .380 (LCP) that I will carry if it is the best I can do, but I much prefer a small 9mm (CZ RAMI or Kahr K-9) in the SmartCarry, if it's practical for the occasion.

texasmacdaddy09

Post by texasmacdaddy09 »

:iagree: We think so. My wife carries the Taurus 709 Slim in total comfort, deep carry. I carry a Berretta Px4 Storm S.C. While I'm comfortable standing, walking, jogging, I'll admit that it's somewhat uncomfortable sitting. :banghead: Living in
west Texas is hot but the SmartCarry breathes well and tho I sweat just going outside, my pistol stays dry and ready to draw. It is a very well made product, and Charlie is dedicated to customer satisfaction. :tiphat:

silverbear
Posts in topic: 3

Post by silverbear »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Honestly, I'm less concerned with safety than I am with heat and humidity. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a heavy guy like me, in a Texas summer, would be working up a pot of chili down there by the time the day is over. For those of you that have one, does it "breathe," or does it feel hot and sweaty to wear it?
Doesn't really heat up like you think. Lays on top of the underwear just like any other holster, a leather IWB or crossbreed for example. I worked my son's baseball practice with mine one afternoon and it didn't get too hot or sweaty. But as they say, YMMV.
I support the right to arm bears.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Used to carry a J-frame in one. It took a little while to work out the positioning. I ended up carrying low and slightly off center to the right.

The key, for me, was getting the right kind of pants. Pleated front was ideal for tucking the grip behind.

Like everything else there are trade-offs and adjustments to be made.

I never noticed any problems with heat or sweat. The back side is supposed to be sweat resistant (or something like that) while the front panel breathes.

I got rid of the J-frame but I'm holding on to the Smartcarry in the event I pick up another little gun.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Never could get used to carrying even the small guns where they suggested, especially when sitting. I did salvage my $54 tho by having The Wife relocate the seam that separates the gun and the spare mag carrier (at least per the original design: I don't use it). When I place the holster at about 4:30, it's location and the cant (angle) created by the front of the holster and the new seam allows me to carry at virtually the same place as my IWB holsters. And, best of all, the strap takes the weight off the top of draw string shorts. And, if needed, I can also tuck in shirttail with virtually no "printing" with PM-9. Plus it's very comfortable (for me, anyway). And the muzzle is not waddling anywhere near the femoral arteries or other impt. parts.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Ropin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ropin »

I read a story (online, so take that part into consideration) of a feller who ran the business end of a formerly live round down his leg while carrying in an off-brand SmartCarry styled holster. IIRC, he either leaned over or squatted just right and the material bunched up in the trigger guard just right (just wrong?) leading to some unintended body piercing.

I just tried to find it...but the site (negligentdischarge.com --WARNING: Potentially graphic images) seems to be running too slowly to cooperate. Some interesting reading on the forum over there.

Just something to think about. I have no actual personal experience with the product.
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

davidtx

Post by davidtx »

Ropin wrote:I read a story (online, so take that part into consideration) of a feller who ran the business end of a formerly live round down his leg while carrying in an off-brand SmartCarry styled holster. IIRC, he either leaned over or squatted just right and the material bunched up in the trigger guard just right (just wrong?) leading to some unintended body piercing.

I just tried to find it...but the site (negligentdischarge.com --WARNING: Potentially graphic images) seems to be running too slowly to cooperate. Some interesting reading on the forum over there.

Just something to think about. I have no actual personal experience with the product.
I've seen reports that Thunderwear (clone of Smartcarry) is made from much lighter material than Smartcarry. I find the Smartcarry fabric to be extremely thick and stiff. I had a very hard time getting large safety pins to go through it without bending . (you're supposed to be able to use safety pins to make minor adjustments to the gun fit). When researching Smartcarry, I saw a post where a guy was just going to grab some denim and make his own. I don't know how many layers of denim are in one, but I sure don't see how it would flex enough to get in a trigger guard (or in my case, in the trigger guard, turn off the safety and press the grip safety...)

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

I have a Thunder Ware. A person would have to be very creative to get the material to bunch up in such as to make the gun go off.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Ropin

Post by Ropin »

IIRC, the guy in the tale of woe never said what brand his was, or if it even had a brand name. I think he may have picked it up on sale at a gun show.

My intent in bringing up the story wasn't to run down the SC, as it seems to have a fairly long history of safe usage. It was more of a caution to anyone considering an off-brand, or making one of their own. :tiphat:
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

silverbear
Posts in topic: 3

Post by silverbear »

Ropin wrote:IIRC, the guy in the tale of woe never said what brand his was, or if it even had a brand name. I think he may have picked it up on sale at a gun show.

My intent in bringing up the story wasn't to run down the SC, as it seems to have a fairly long history of safe usage. It was more of a caution to anyone considering an off-brand, or making one of their own. :tiphat:
Good point. When I got the ebay lightningwear version, first thing I checked was if it was possible to get the gun to dry fire when tucked in the holster. The thickness and tightness of the fabric doesn't really allow the trigger on my G26 to be pulled unless as you cut or tore the fabric. This is a good cautionary tale, especially if you're not getting the original, as I did, but gladly found out it works very well.
I support the right to arm bears.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Honestly, I'm less concerned with safety than I am with heat and humidity. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a heavy guy like me, in a Texas summer, would be working up a pot of chili down there by the time the day is over. For those of you that have one, does it "breathe," or does it feel hot and sweaty to wear it?
One of the inner layers is supposed to be water-resistant. It didn't help while swimming, :roll: but I've never noticed the gun being damp otherwise.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”