Is the Smartcarry, smart?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Is the Smartcarry, smart?

Post by Purplehood »

I was reading other posts this morning when I came across mention of the Smartcarry. That piqued my curiosity enough to google the item and look at a brief photo essay on the item.

My question: How does one wear that? The immediate problem I would see with it would be while sitting or driving. I see pending discomfort on the horizon wearing this with anything bigger than an LCP.

Can anyone clarify?
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Is the Smartcarry, smart?

Post by MoJo »

A friend uses one of the Smartcarry holsters to carry a snubby. He likes it but he isn't a "large boned" guy.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Purplehood wrote:I was reading other posts this morning when I came across mention of the Smartcarry. That piqued my curiosity enough to google the item and look at a brief photo essay on the item.

My question: How does one wear that? The immediate problem I would see with it would be while sitting or driving. I see pending discomfort on the horizon wearing this with anything bigger than an LCP.

Can anyone clarify?
Welcome back Purplehood! I am 6'1" 260# all of it in the belly. I carry my G23 two ways now. OWB is a Bullard "Undercover" at three or four o'clock depending on my sitting or standing (just slide it back and forth) and the Crossbreed Supertuck (thanks to Austinrealtor) at four o'clock for IWB should I need to dress up a tad. Both are comfortable and conceal well.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Last edited by USA1 on Wed May 12, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I used one for a number of months for my Glock 19.

The Smartcarry is well crafted and I think reasonably priced, but I was never really comfortable wearing mine when upright, less so when sitting, plus it makes quite an unsightly lap bulge when in a sitting posture. So much so that I'd place a newspaper of magazine in my lap when in a public venue. I'm the proper weight to height ratio so if one's lean or fat, it might make a difference, though I don't know how...

Even carrying a smallish pistol the very bulk of the material making up a Smartcarry is fairly substantial - so take that too in consideration. (and hot in summer)

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I have one, and while it's not my primary carry method, I do like it. I also use it with a Glock 19, but I think a gun with a shorter grip like the 26 would actually be better. For me the trick is to let it sit fairly low, and also over slightly to the left so that it actually is resting more on my left thigh. It definitely helps to have pants that are a bit looser in the crotch area. I mainly use it when I'm in a suit or dress pants and I'm not able to wear my normal gun belt and IWB holster.
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

Napier

Post by Napier »

I have one for a pocket 380 and another for a small 9mm (Taurus SLIM), for those occasions when total discretion is required. Ordinarily I carry a 380 in a Bulldog PDA case, or the 9mm in a Supertuck. Only in what I consider to be a very delicate social or work situation do I use a SmartCarry. My philosophy is "never be made."

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with the muzzle of a "cocked and locked" .45 that close to the jewels. :oops:
CHL since 01/26/09

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

Pete92FS wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with the muzzle of a "cocked and locked" .45 that close to the jewels. :oops:
Especially when they "just go off"

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=34416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member

doc540

Post by doc540 »

Really want your questions about the Smartcarry answered?

Read everything on Charlie's website.

Every question asked so far is clearly answered there.

It's not for every body type and every carry situation, but for years it has been for mine.

YMMV

http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Doc,

You just had to show off those washboard abs didn't you?
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

davidtx

Post by davidtx »

I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs. I used to have a fair bit of belly, but this is now mostly gone (complements of Krav Maga and Crossfit). I carry a full size 1911 in the Smartcarry. With loose pants, I don't have a problem with a bulge, either sitting or standing. You definitely want to wear it low or you WILL get a nasty pinch when you squat. When worn properly, the muzzle is below all the important parts.

While I do like the Smartcarry, I do have an MTAC on order but that's mostly to see what carrying IWB is like. I think Smartcarry is a useful tool to have in the toolbox.

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

Pete92FS wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with the muzzle of a "cocked and locked" .45 that close to the jewels. :oops:
I'm less worried about the "jewels" than I am about the femoral arteries. I'd hate to lose the former, but I wouldn't live to regret it without the latter.

I would carry anything in a SmartCarry that I would carry in a pocket. That is, I would limit it to a DA revolver, or DAO semi-auto that didn't have partial pre-cocking (Glock, etc.).

I don't have a problem with the location, just the fact that it's not a holster designed to fit a particular model of handgun, so that all the safety bits are properly covered.

The salesman who usually takes a table at my local gun show loves to show how he "carries a full-size pistol" by pulling an aluminum 1911 dummy out of his SmartCarry. My first thought has always been: "Yeah, but can you sit down with it?" My second thought is always, "Yeah, would you really go through your day carrying Condition One?

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

chabouk wrote:The salesman who usually takes a table at my local gun show loves to show how he "carries a full-size pistol" by pulling an aluminum 1911 dummy out of his SmartCarry. My first thought has always been: "Yeah, but can you sit down with it?" My second thought is always, "Yeah, would you really go through your day carrying Condition One"?
If you don't trust the safety engagement on a 1911, fix it. A new plunger spring will make it very positive.

I have a large Smartcarry, and while a full size all steel Gov't Model and spare mag isn't exactly the most comfortable thing in the world, I was able to drive a fair distance and walk around for several hours, including potty breaks with it cocked and locked. Pinning the holster to fit my Taurus 605CH and a speedstrip, OTOH, makes it easy to forget I'm wearing it. I've gone swimming with the (stainless) Taurus in there. The main thing to watch out for is pointy bits on the back of the gun, like a spur hammer. Wear it high, with the grip under your waistband or projecting a bit above the waistband and you can draw one-handed fairly well too.

If you just can't manage it in front, you can also run it around to your strong side and wear it as a tuckable IWB that's completely independent of your pants.

silverbear
Posts in topic: 3

Post by silverbear »

BrianSW99 wrote:I have one, and while it's not my primary carry method, I do like it. I also use it with a Glock 19, but I think a gun with a shorter grip like the 26 would actually be better. For me the trick is to let it sit fairly low, and also over slightly to the left so that it actually is resting more on my left thigh. It definitely helps to have pants that are a bit looser in the crotch area. I mainly use it when I'm in a suit or dress pants and I'm not able to wear my normal gun belt and IWB holster.
:iagree:

I use mine with my G26 when my other two forms of carry do not work. Works great when wearing elastic banded shorts or sweat pants. I got an imitation off of ebay, lightningwear(?). The fabric in front of the trigger is taut enough to keep the trigger protected from AD.
I support the right to arm bears.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”